Magnesium

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by dads2vette, May 19, 2018.

1. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ok, I'm old. There, I fully admitted it. Technically not old but sometimes I feel old...crap, not quite admitting it any longer.

After reading a few posts, one by @Harper (thank you), I decided to try getting a magnesium supplement. I picked up a bottle of 400 mg pills, have been taking it for about a week and have noticed a significant decrease in pain at my knees and ankles. Now, this may all be psychosomatic but, who cares as long as I feel better. I haven't noticed any pain decrease in my back but I'm sleeping on a cot and haven't seen my own bed in almost 4 weeks. I'll reevaluate once I get back home.

Thanks again for the advice and suggestions.
    Dave

2. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    I take a 1/4 teaspoon of Epsom salt each evening and in the morning I wake up with significantly less aches and swelling in my back, knees, feet and hands. If I miss a day or two I notice the pain in the morning again and shuffle around until I limber up. I am 52 years old and I was wondering if I was going to be crippled in ten years. Between being a big guy and working hard I had to figure out a way that didn't involve pain meds and NSAIDs.

3. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well, isn’t this interesting? I thought we were building fires... but maybe not, maybe we are. Gotta study this.

4. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
  5. dads2vette

Blog Posts:

I've been taking it in the morning but I think I'll take it at night since it's also suppose to aid in sleeping.

***side note:***My Dr would ask when the last time I had 8 hours of solid sleep. Uhhh, let's see Anthony(my oldest) was born May 23 1991 so, I figure the 24th, just before he got home.

6. BDDwoods

BDDwoods Scout

Blog Posts:
    Magnesium is good for heart health and blood pressure. Be sure to clear over the counter meds with your doctor though. Best of health.

7. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I am not a fan of taking fat soluble vitamins and minerals that we need in trace amounts that we should be getting in a balanced diet. However! I have been taking magnesium for decades because I was at the point the western medicine folks were getting ready to prescribe injections of morphine for the headaches I was being crippled with, and read an article suggesting it as a treatment instead. I have gone from almost daily make you puke headaches to one every couple of years. I also take a good dose of the fat soluble vitamin D daily at the recommendation of a physician who I have received exceptional care from. So I kind of have broken my own rules :D

8. coachp

coachp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Following my first kidney stone, the urologist ran tests and determined that part of the issue was a magnesium deficiency and he started me on supplements. After 2 years without a kidney stone, I got slack and stopped taking the magnesium. Kidney stone #2 required a ureteroscopy, followed by a week with a stent. . .

I take magnesium every day now.

9. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My younger daughter had been having nearly daily migraines. A certain wise member here suggested daily magnesium, and her migraines are gone. She also can start fires easier now!:4:

10. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I’m happy to read your daughter is being helped with the magnesium; my only caution is to be sure she does not have something else going on that the headaches could be a symptom of and are now masked with the supplement.

Harper and blind & lost like this.
  11. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    werewolf won likes this.