Mainly guns....but, why?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by JosephDurham, Oct 20, 2017.

1. edprof

edprof Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've seen the same magazines and have had the same reactions.

I'll sidestep the politics for a minute and try to deal with the survivalism for a moment.

Yes, the prepper/survivalist magazines seem to over-do it on the guns thing. They need a more balanced approach to the totality of long term survival--going beyond security to include shelter, replenishable food, replenishable water, health/first aid, energy, and communications. It will take all of those and more to survive long term in a country that may be going through a revolution or trying to re-discover its moorings.

Finding information on the well-rounded, balanced approach is more difficult. For one thing, the reader has to know what he or she is looking for. See the above list of seven categories. And it is likely that the information will be in several different places, and those places are not connected to each other. Forums such as this one are a big help.

2. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just saw your post.

I have had a GPR .50 for ... I don't know... since new in about '82. Probably 10,000 RBs down range and through a few deer. I do mean clean through. While I think it's a great rifle in the traditional style, at today's prices you could get a fine used Winchester '94. Okay, not the most popular rifle around anymore, but if you like open sights and a more "basic" type of firearm, the '94 would fit the bill with higher terminal energy and be more useful at slightly longer ranges. Still pretty cheap to shoot, too.

Nothing wrong with that GPR, though. I love mine.

3. perdidochas

perdidochas Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sheep aren't as docile and as obedient as you think. They can be quite stubborn. I think you underestimate the power of humanity. Living in easy times, we don't need to be tough. I don't think it will take long in tough conditions for us to get tough again as a society.

4. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know. Sheep can be butt heads - literally. But, usually only one in the flock acts that way. Using that analogy, the odds ain't good.