Making a laminate call

Discussion in 'ozarkhunter - Metamorphosis Woodworks' started by ozarkhunter, Jan 16, 2019.

1. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Here are a few pics of a few steps along the way to a laminate turkey call. I started with African sapele, quarter-sawn maple, bookmatched figured walnut and strips of black and white veneer.
    20190112_110834.jpg
    These pieces are glued up with Titebond III waterproof wood glue and clamped for 24 hours.
    20190112_111717.jpg

After the glue dries, they are removed from clamps and sanded.
    20190113_111341.jpg
    The bookmatched pieces of walnut are cut from a wider block, then flipped "outwards" from how they were originally joined in the block. This produces a "mirror image" or bookmatched effect.

Finally, the blanks are cut out and turned into call pots...
    20190116_065540.jpg
    These are part of a series of 25 numbered calls for a catalog in Illinois. I also do laminate blanks as a "1 off" kind of blank so that there is never another exactly alike. Either way, they are all cut and assembled one blank at a time. I have literally spent 2-3 hours just cutting pieces and dry-fitting, switching this piece out for that piece and making repeated changes until it just looks "right" to my eye.

2. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    How does a laminated pot sound? I’d be inclined to think all those joints and different materials would tend to deaden the call. Sure looks stunning, no matter how they sound, great work.

3. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    You honestly can't say a laminate call sounds like one of the woods in the mix or another. The glue joints are actually stronger than the grain of many woods. Early on I had 1 call de-laminate that I had used some osage orange that I cut myself. I suspect it had too much moisture in the wood and contracted as it dried in the blank. I haven't had that issue in years. I like to think I learned my lesson on using kiln dried woods or woods that I cut and have had sufficient dry time.
    The calls are anything but deadened. This one is currently on ebay, a slate over glass. It has a bright tone and medium-high pitch. Cuts are very crisp and expressive. Yelps have a consistent break and lots of rasp.
    laminate.jpg
    Woods are mineral stained hackberry, green veneer, book matched walnut, orange veneer and canarywood in the center.

J. Pierce, Dukejb, Swampdog and 2 others like this.