1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Making files from low carbon steel this is amazing

Discussion in 'Other Tools' started by Ryan Alexander, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Ryan Alexander

Ryan Alexander Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I stumbled accrost these tis'morning, i'm blown away. I was always told files can't be re-created without modern machinery and with low carbon steel? IMPOSSIBLE! yet this proves me wrong.

I've messed with black smithing a little, made a couple steel strikers and a knife but that's about it. I kinda want to make a foundry now lol

IAOutdoors, MrFixIt, 556mp and 2 others like this.
  2. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Coastal Wanderer Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wow, that is a great explanation! Thanks for posting this.

MrFixIt likes this.
  3. hooliganwithheart

hooliganwithheart Scout

Blog Posts:
    Awesome share this :dblthumb:

Very interesting :)

MrFixIt likes this.
  4. 556mp

556mp Bushmaster Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    He makes some quality videos. There are countless ways to carborize iron into steel. Wood charcoal or bone can be used as a carbon source, and you can refine iron in an open hearth charcoal forge. I have some friends that are REALLY into iron making and steel smelthing, and it blows me away what can be done with such simple tools and a lot of experimentation. Ive done a little experimenting with turning wrought iron into blister steel, and then forging the blister steel into shear steel. I did a small write up on it here if you care to take a look: https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/34827-making-shear-steel-and-a-small-seax/

Thank you for sharing the videos, they had not come up on my youtube.

From my understanding files were originally hand cut with a chisel. it takes a steady hand and I ether saw a seminar or watched a video on it a few years back. I cant recall. I'd like to try it one day, perhaps when I'm older and have more free time.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  5. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

MrFixIt likes this.