Mallet & Bow

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools' started by Flint_2016, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Finally had the chance to get out and make a better bow for my friction fire kit and while I was at it,made a mallet for batoning firewood.It's actually the second mallet I made,this one to be kept at a camp I go to often when I don't feel like hiking to my main camp.It's basically s simple leanto and firewall and only a ten minute walk from where I park my Jeep.I made the bow out of a rhododendron sapling as the rhododendron has a tendency to be somewhat naturally contorted and "curving"in it's growth habit,most likely a Catawba R.The mallet(from eastern hemlock) only took about 20 minutes to make,while the bow a little longer as rhodies have a tendency to split down the center easily(had to cut off the ends twice with my Bahco),and it took some time to drill holes at the ends for the bowstring(I used #36 bankline)using my awl from my SAK.I also carved off all the bark on the bow using my Mora knife and Hultafors Hunters ax.Got a fire going because I was gonna make a pot of tea,but ended up being cut short as something came up where I was needed at home.Altogether though it was a good day out,the weather splendid in the mid 70's with a slight breeze.I also made another fireboard for my friction fire kit,possibly Tulip Poplar as I found a dried up branch below one of the many poplars in the area.The center of the branch was dark in color,which I was informed is typical of the tulip poplar.Of course I did the fingernail test and it passed with flying colors.
    rhododendron1.jpg
    Catawba Rhododendron is common in my area
    dayout (21).JPG
    The bow is about 24" in length
    dayout (22).JPG
    Inner part of the branch is a dark hue.Possibly Tulip Poplar but it passed the fingernail test
    dayout (24).JPG
    Used a downed Eastern Hemlock for my mallet.
    dayout (25).JPG
    Satisfactory for me
    dayout (18).JPG
    Gotta have a campfire

2. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ever use the bow? Any arrows with it?

MrFixIt likes this.
  3. central joe

central joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice work there young fellar. joe

4. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    By bow I mean for a friction fire kit Sorry no need for arrows here

Medicine maker likes this.
  5. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wow that didn't hit me at all. I wondered why it didn't seem very bowlike.

6. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately the mallet broke while trying to split a long branch of hemlock,having several knots in it.I should've used hard wood like beech or maple.Hemlock like other conifers is a softwood,and hemlock itself isn't a valuable wood,often used for railroad ties only

Medicine maker likes this.