Mammoth molar knife - or how to turn from hero to zero

Discussion in 'Nick's Custom Ferro Rods & Knives' started by Nick Dundua, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Nick Dundua

Nick Dundua Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMG_2567.JPG IMG_2568.JPG IMG_2569.JPG IMG_2570.JPG IMG_2571.JPG Man I'm on such bad mood , been working on this knife for past week day and night , put so much energy in working with molar , made an ideal handle that just molds to your hand , when I was putting the blade I left it with 220 grit finish and decided it would be ok but in reality I was lazy and wanted to start making the handle faster , so now I thought a mirror finished blade would look like so amazing and decided to sand it , bad idea as you can't sand it near the booster without messing up the bolster but being blind with how ideal mirror finish would be I sanded it, then i decided to put it on a grinder and it would be much faster..... yeah sure..... the grander is brand new I only made handles on it but no bevels yet , so straight away I put the best work of mine on it , oh man how I regret it , of course I destroyed the geometry and bevel being new to it , then being angry I continue removing metal and made even more mistakes , so much energy for nothing ! It's garbage now that I can't even show to anyone

Only thing is I thank God this was not an order as it would be one expensive loss....

Well at least lesson learned, don't look for shortcuts , never skip steps , be patient and don't be on nerves
    I never skipped this steps when working on orders but thought I'd skip it for a knife for myself and bam sucker punch right in the face :(

2. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If that's a mistake it's stunning!

I am a remodel contractor so I admire and respect the perfectionist standard you hold yourself too.

3. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You learned a valuable lesson that others will benefit you learning.

4. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    We’ve all done something like that but probably not on such a gorgeous workpiece. Sorry for the anguish this causes you but it is just part of pushing the envelope.

buckfynn, Nick Dundua and Beach Hiker like this.
  5. byksm

byksm Scout

Blog Posts:
    How did you assemble the handle?
    Can you remove the blade and reuse the molar?

One way you might have polished the blade without scratching the bolster is hand polished with die makers stones.

Falcon tool and die makes great stones...
    https://www.falcontool.com/PublicStore/catalog/Abrasive-Stones,115.aspx
    They used to sell a grab bag of factory seconds. Great bargain.

buckfynn likes this.
  6. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh man I know how you feel!
    That handle is worthy of jewelry though.

buckfynn and Nick Dundua like this.
  7. Nick Dundua

Nick Dundua Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for your kind words gentleman , one knife with full molar handle and one with tusk is coming along in a few days.
    I was able to fix the blade somewhat , a kind gentleman offered to buy it with a discount , so I gave him kinda scratch and dent sale and sold for half price, made a veg tan sheath and left it with natural color which will develop an amazing patina over time

IMG_1063.JPG IMG_1066.JPG IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1076.JPG IMG_1077.JPG IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1083.JPG IMG_1085.JPG

8. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely bueatiful!

Nick Dundua likes this.
  9. Nick Dundua

Nick Dundua Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you ! It was a big bummer that I Messed up the blade , hope next ones come out better

buckfynn likes this.