Managing Toiletries & Grooming While Backpacking

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Gruxxx, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Gruxxx

Gruxxx Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm curious how others manage these toiletries and grooming items when on the trail;

Contact Lenses - I carry a travel sized bottle of saline and a contact case in a small stuff sack. Various conditions can make it a pain to deal with contacts, though, like wind, cold, and dirty hands. Since my trips are usually just overnighters, I tend to just sleep with them in, and add a drop of saline to my eyes in the morning.

Eyeglasses - I bring these to either wear once I take my contacts out or as a backup if I loose my contacts or they bother my eyes. I worry about damaging them, so I bring them in a hard case. It's not the lightest or most compact solution.

Shaving - Again, since my trips are short, I don't bother. What do you guys do when out for 3+ days? Do you take a razor with small squirt tube of shaving gel or do you just use your razor with water alone? ...Ouch!

Comb - I ask because I actually found a comb on the Appalachian Trail the other weekend. I keep my head buzzed to stubble, so it's a non-issue for me.

Teeth - Again, I don't bother with a toothbrush for overnights, but I would for longer trips. Do you have a dedicated toothbrush with the handle cut off? And do you prefer toothpaste or wood ashes to brush with?

Hearing Aids - I realize this probably doesn't apply to most, but for us deaf guys, they pose a problem. As much as I love to hear the birds and sounds in nature, I worry to death I'll loose them, so I tend to leave them at home. All those branches that brush past your face are just itching to flick them away. That would be an expensive loss. $$$$!

2. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The only one of those that really apply to me is the toothbrush. If I don't brush my teeth twice a day I start to get the shakes! I just throw in a brush and a travel size tube of paste. For me, I would take a tooth brush over a knife on a back packing trip if it came down to it.

Madwell, hughhaff, morganbw and 7 others like this.
  3. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Baby wipes, if water is not available for dunks. They can keep pits & crack spring day fresh!

4. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't wear glasses or contacts so can't help with that. If I bring my sunglasses, which is usually only for canoe trips, then I just try to be mindful of where they are when not on my head. if I wore glasses for actual proper vision, I'd bring a hard case.

No shaving on camping/backpacking/canoe trips. Seems sort of silly to do so to be honest, but to each his own.

No comb for me, but my hair is generally kept short enough it that isn't an issue.

I bring a small travel toothbrush and travel size tube of paste. Also a small roll of floss (for teeth or for possible repairs if it were needed). One thing I'll add is that I inherited crap teeth from my father, so I have quite a few fillings. While it's never happened, I have a fear of losing a filling miles from any dentist. So I keep a small tube of temporary filling material just in case. Weighs next to nothing but gives peace of mind.

Edit - and I always have baby wipes. They work as a poor mans shower in the morning to wash my face and hands as well as to help "freshen up" and give a proper reset after a bathroom break. Swamp ass and hiking don't mix...

5. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good call on bringing backup eyeglasses! Everybody should carry a spare everywhere!*

*I sell them for a living

6. Zebra Alpha

Zebra Alpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Baby wipes DEFINITELY! Put a few in a zip-lock bag and call it good. I also bring a pair of "readers", in a lightweight case (not a 'hard-shell case'... just a case.) These items are with me on short outings, too. It's been a while since I've done an over-nighter... but will pack toothbrush and travel sized toothpaste, too, and also bring a small, folding brush/comb. Also bring a stick of B.O. medicine, too. *sniff-sniff?* None of this stuff weighs too much, nor does it take up too much space..

morganbw, Scotchmon, rsnurkle and 7 others like this.
  7. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Scout

Blog Posts:
    No shaving when in the woods....I think it is pretty much a rule...lol
    That stuff is a waste of space, but if you really feel you need to shave try a solid shave cream like the old timers used and use a BK-9 knife. Depending on the strength of your whiskers, you may need to baton it

8. AZ Wandering Bear

AZ Wandering Bear Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I bring a cut down toothbrush, about half the handle trimmed away to save space and weight. I'm partial to using baking soda rather than toothpaste for several reasons. First, lighter and a little goes a long way. Second, natural substance as opposed to processed chemicals. So I don't mind spitting it out. Third, it doesn't create all that messy foam you get from toothpaste requiring extra rinse water. And finally, it is multi-use. Makes a superb deodorant. Rub a little in the pits. It's bacteria, not your sweat that causes odor. The baking soda changes the PH and the bacteria can't grow. First trip I ever used it, the wife accused me of not having gone backpacking when I got back home. She said I didn't stink enough. You can google all the practical uses of baking soda. There's hundreds and quite a few apply to a camping and backpacking. Beats the heck out of wood ash.

Madwell, Yautjar, morganbw and 12 others like this.
  9. Backyard

Backyard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bring a hard glasses case. I like having sunglasses and my regular glasses on a trip, and for them to come home in usable condition.

Toothbrush, baking soda, antibacterial hand sanitizer, and wipes round out my toiletries kit.

I do have a car kit including some deodorant, change of clothes, and a comb. I use these if the trip has been long and smelly, and I'm stopping somewhere on my way home.

morganbw, Scotchmon, rsnurkle and 2 others like this.
  10. Zebra Alpha

Zebra Alpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh... BTW... baby wipes... you can let the dry-out, and revive them with just a tiny wee bit of water... they'll pack lighter that way, and take up no room at all in a pack.

11. WildMedGuru

WildMedGuru Scout

Blog Posts:
    Glasses / contacts - been nearsighted so long, I dont even consider these extra, its just part of EDC
    Toothbrush and floss - always
    Baby/Ass wipes - call em what you will - great for all general body hygiene
    I also like a small bottle of gold bond - works well for pits/ feet / crotch

12. Geneh

Geneh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Shaving - usually don't bother, otherwise just use the soap and water I carry anyway. Lather up real well and a smooth shave. Toothbrush total necessity, make it short if it packs better. I ditched contacts a very long time ago. Next eye infection you get will be the last you want. Spare set of glasses in hard case, 2 oz cleaner, and tiny eye-glass only towel to keep from scratching them. No way around that. Paper towels instead of baby wipes. More multi-purpose. Burn to nothing or pack out.

Yautjar, morganbw, Scotchmon and 2 others like this.
  13. pgvoutdoors

pgvoutdoors (FMR) Wilderness Guide Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Toothbrush and travel size toothpaste.

I now need reading glasses so a carry a small pair of folding eyeglasses. I also have a small magnifying glass with me that can be used as a backup reader.

CSM-101, morganbw, Scotchmon and 3 others like this.
  14. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good call on the gold bond. I bring a small bottle of that as well. Great stuff.

15. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    THIS is my toiletry kit for EDC and backpacking for few nights out - I'm admittedly a bit OCD about multi-tasking and ultra- light/compact. :confused:

- 10L Ultra-Sil bucket from stream/lake for navy showers and a swimming float/PFD.
    - Visine bottle of Dr. Bronners for shampoo, soap, and yes even toothpaste.
    - Bandanna for towel, wash cloth, wet wipe, etc.
    - Vaseline for skin lotion (diluted), anti-biotic ointment, chapstick, and emergency fire starter (w/OB tampon).
    - 190 grain alcohol for stove fuel, fire starter, and when diluted, for: vodka drinks, hand sanitizer, bandanna wet-wipe, mouthwash, deodorant, pot/utensil solvent/cleaner/sterilizer, etc.
    - Leatherman PS4 for nail and nose hair grooming, etc.

THESE are my spare eyeglasses (old lenses) tuck in my PSK. They'll look awful dorky if I ever need to use them, but that's the price to pay for a matchbox carry size.

16. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If I'm using a hammock, after everything is out of my pack, one of the last things I do is put my TP in the ridgeline organizer... way easier to find, available at night for blowing your nose (or using the latrine), and in the morning for cleaning off my glasses.

The rest of my toiletries consist of a brown hand towel, a washcloth folded in half and sewn along two sides (making it more of a mitt), a travel tube of toothpaste, a travel toothbrush, a bar of hotel soap in a baggie, and a comb. Everything fits inside the sewn washcloth, which then gets laid on the folded in half towel and rolled up and secured with 2 rubber bands. Weighs about half a pound, more like 5oz without the towel and soap (most weekend trips).

I don't need daily meds or hearing aids and don't do contacts.

edit: oh, and for canoe trips, I have a pocket shower (forget who makes it.)

Yautjar, morganbw, dkgoesmo and 2 others like this.
  17. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    All you folks that wear glasses consider using an 18" long piece of surgical tubing like the kind at Lowes or HD, they make excellent eye glass croakers as branch snap backs on the trail are a bitch, glasses can easily be hung by bedside at night and tubing can also be used for a water syphon, fire blow bellow, emergency tourniquet and sling shot bands.

Yautjar, morganbw, arleigh and 10 others like this.
  18. TN_Woodman

TN_Woodman Scout

Blog Posts:
    - Travel toothpaste or baking soda and uncut tooth brush. I can't stand having them cut. I have a dental emergency kit in my medical kit.
    - Shaving - NO
    - Long trips I'll bring travel sized deodorant, but I just usually just hit the pits with my travel Goldbond. I think I will try the baking soda.
    - TP and wipes in a bag.
    - micro fiber towel and handkerchiefs
    - I do different things for soap. I like bar soaps when out in the woods. I need to fine natural bar soap ok for streams. Any ideas?
    - short hair, so no comb
    - cotton swabs in a small tin

morganbw and rsnurkle like this.
  19. kyporter

kyporter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just got hearing aids this past Tuesday so I'm very interested in this. One of the main reasons I got them was for the outdoors. I had to take money out of my 401k because I didn't want payments so they are going to get used!!! It was so strange hearing the birds on my dayhike today. 40-50% hearing loss at 34 and I had no idea how much I had been missing the last 4 or 5 years!

I don't even own a comb since I keep my hair short. I have a folding travel toothbrush and a travel size thing of toothpaste. I don't worry about shaving even if I'm car camping for a week.

morganbw, OldSoul, GreenFrog and 2 others like this.
  20. Tor Helge

Tor Helge Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Don`t use glasses.
    My hair is short, no comb necessary.
    I do take With me a travel tooth brush and small tube of tooth paste on overnighters.
    On longer treks (more than two days) I usually take With me a travel towel and a small bar of soap (hotel size) as well.
    I don`t bother to shave before comming home.

morganbw, rsnurkle and Seeker like this.
  21. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Funny, the idea that short hair doesn't need to be combed... No, it doesn't... but I have short hair too, and MAN does it feel good to run a comb through it morning/night after wearing a hat all day! After combing my hair and brushing my teeth, I feel almost as good as if I'd just had a shower! It's gotta be the 'fine' end of the comb though, not the coarser teeth... not sure why that is. Have toyed with the idea of just cutting it in half at the transition line and carrying the 'fine' end (half the length, half the weight.)

morganbw, rsnurkle and alukban like this.
  22. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Same here. On weeklong wilderness trips I skip the deoderant.

In general, oral care is paramount for health. Wallyworld sells a folder travel toothbrush for 75 cents in the travel accessories.

Travel tube of toothpaste

Travel size Old Spice

Large tooth comb or brush. Now, i can get by without these with a man-bun but Id rather not work out that tangled mess after.

Def no shaving while out there though. Hyoh though brother.

Have to take care of your mind first outdoors

23. Simon Perks

Simon Perks Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Beard ..
    Cut down toothbrush
    NO Deodorant & i use a natural soap with no smell ..
    And i take my snap on smile out if i'm in good company ..

24. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    If I do bring a DOPP bag, there is a lanyard on it + a small flashlight and a micro survival kit.

Why?

If I have to do a number at night, I put the whole thing around my neck and can deal with whatever in case I get lost/separated from camp.

Ask me why I do this... ;)

[​IMG]

I'm upgrading my DOPP bag to one in blaze orange tgat was gifted to me recently :)

25. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I deleted the eyewear and hearing aids, since they are not applicable to me.

Shaving- Easy. I don't shave. Ever. Not in the bush, not at home. I do keep my neck hair and my beard lines trimmed with electric clippers, but never worry about that in the bush.

Comb- Again, I never ever use them. I have combs built into the ends of my arms.

Teeth- I bring a small toothbrush with a ~1'' handle, a small tube of travel toothpaste, and a few of the floss/pick combo things. I keep it all in a small plastic container that looks kinda like a travel soap dish. I bring this on any overnighter, no matter the duration. I can't stand the idea of slimy teeth and nasty breath even on a 1 night trip.

morganbw, trailhermit and rsnurkle like this.
  26. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I shave before I head out and shave when I get back. If I were fortunate enough to be able to spend long enough in the woods to need to shave, I would carry a small ampule of Pacific Shaving Co. shave oil. The oil works better for me than other stuff anyway. My hair is too fine and sharpening skills too poor for me to use a knife for shaving. Although my 5col/White River knife is currently sharp enough to use if needed. But if I were planning a trip I would toss in a razor.

For soap I used to carry a bottle of Camp Suds. Nowadays I have a small bottle of Dr. Bronner's. Good stuff. Multipurpose and yes, works for teeth. I've read that soap is actually more effective at cleaning one's teeth than toothpaste. Using soap is not as weird or gross as people seem to think. In fact it is downright traditional. Look up "soap shreds".

For a bar soap solution -- J.R. Liggett's shampoo bar. They sell a travel pack with four small soaps and a zipper pouch for all of six bucks at Amazon. Toss the pouch (or use it for your whole kit) and bring one soap. There's a small plastic plate that you can affix to one side of the shampoo bar after it is thoroughly wetted. The bar lasts longer with the plate on one side and you can set it down without it picking up tons of dirt and stuff. J.R. Liggett's is 100% natural and can be used for pretty much all your soapy needs. The sample bars are tiny but they last. I bet one sample bar would get the average BCUSA bear through a season or two. For that matter, the regular sized J.R. Liggett's bars are great. Far superior IMHO to modern shampoo. When I travel to places where toiletries are not provided, that is what I bring.

Even without toothpaste, a toothbrush will help keep the funk off. I have a small travel toothbrush that hardly weighs anything. In some situations I've left the toothbrush at home and just used the corner of a bandanna or my pack towel.

I'm told that flossing is more important than brushing. For "ultralight" would carry a couple disposable floss picks. I have a small titanium toothpick I carry routinely. That and some floss and I'm good. Rinse with bourbon.

Deodorant -- for work travel I've carried crystal deo. It takes a year or three but when they get really small (smaller than a ping pong ball) they are candidates for a hiking kit. But mostly I don't bother with deodorants. When I get so bad I can't stand me, it is time to come home anyway.

We carry biodegradeable bath wipes or plain old baby wipes for camping. For hiking I make do with a bandanna or MSR pack towel and some camping TP. I dislike carrying "trash generators" and try to keep that to a minimum. I try to keep trash down to what will fit into one resealable hiking meal pouch or quart ziploc, which gets rolled up inside a kitchen trash bag.

27. DKR

DKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    Unless you are walking solo, hygiene is not optional. Have pity on your fellow travelers/guys in your squad.

Spare glasses in hard shell case. I get a set of those " single vision lens, 2 pair for 29.00" type glasses - work fine and if they get busted, no big loss....

Travel toothbrush & small tube of commercial paste. Brush teeth morning and after dinner.

A plastic disposable razor is carried if I plan on being out for more than just a weekend. While in college, I worked for a Geophysics company. The work would often have me living in the field for 4 to 8 days at a run. My longest stretch was nearly a month. I just got in the habit of shaving every other day...a personal choice for certain, but one I make.

Soap is a bit of a tricky item. Depends on were I'm going. Dr Bronner's offer a lot of choices. Campsuds is a good product as well. None of these camping soaps should be disposed of in water.... Running or not. So, soapy water (for me anyway) must be poured into a French drain where I can do so. Otherwise, a wet washcloth (hot water) and a deodorant stone will do.

I keep what little hair I have left cut to a fuzz - so a wet washcloth is more than enough to keep clean/feel refreshed.

In areas that have some development, a pair of nice thick washcloth and a Shamwow type fiber 'towel' are carried. After wetting down with a spray bottle, a soapy washcloth scrub-down and then, the spray bottle again for a rinse, then the second washcloth to mostly dry, finish with the larger fiber towel. Otherwise, a single washcloth, soaking wet is used, wrung out and used to partly dry, then the fiber towel to finish. Less than a qt of warm water is sufficient for bathing.

The weight of a washcloth, small fiber towel and a small bottle of soap is negligible compared to the feeling of being clean when hitting the rack....

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  28. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lol i wonder how many who take none or almost no personal hygien kit, but carry 20 ways to make fire and 10lbs in wood tools

CSM-101, gargoyle, morganbw and 6 others like this.
  29. WILL

WILL Scout

Blog Posts:
    My hair is too short to comb
    Haven't worn deodorant in years.
    Never shave while camping.
    I use my SAK scissors to clip my nails
    I bring a tooth brush and travel size toothpaste
    I think this is where I split from the crowd....I bring a bar of Ivory in a plastic box and a bandana.

After a full day of hiking, nothing beats the feeling of cleaning up, top to bottom, before bed. I don't bring much spare clothing, so sometimes I'll do my laundry on the trail too. I do laundry old school with the Ivory bar and hang it to dry. I don't see many other hikers doing that. I'm sure some may not like the idea of my Ivory suds momentarily lingering a bit down stream from the water source before heading down the mountain. I tried the baby wipe idea and didn't care for it. I also wash my pot a bit down from the water source. I haven't figured a better way and it's gotta be washed. So, there you have my trail hygiene regiment.

PS- I wish super smelly through-hikers wouldn't hang around the AT shelters, but they always do. You can literally see the dirt caked on some of those folks.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  30. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wear glasses from time to time, I like to wear them while hunting for obvious reasons. I bring an eyeglass case to put them in when not wearing them as well as a microfiber cleaning cloth. Depending on your level of concern the case and cloth could be optional. Hanging them on a branch is a pretty safe option.

When it comes to shaving, I just don't and am perplexed by people that do. If you're out in the woods what does it matter? (or in society for that matter). Grow a beard, embrace some facial hair while out in the woods for a few days/weeks/months. You won't look "well groomed" but I have found the animals don't mind :dblthumb:.

I was forced to carry shaving supplies while I was in the Army. I just threw a couple disposable razors in my pack and some shaving cream. Use gel shaving cream, it is more dense and you get more in a smaller container, perfect for backacking. Being of partial native ancestry my facial hair grows at a snails pace then maxes out in length quickly. For example my mustache. I have not shaved or trimmed it in about 4 years, it doesn't even pass below my upper lip lol.

I have pretty long hair so I have to comb it out lest it tangle. I just use my fingers or a few green sticks with the bark removed held in my hand to form the teeth of a comb and run that through my hair. Afterwards I tie a bandana on my head like a headband to keep the hair out of my eyes and call it a day.

For brushing my teeth, a toothbrush with the handle cut off about half way seems to do just fine. I don't bring toothpaste. I don't know why but I just don't feel like carrying it or dealing with it in the woods. Going without toothpaste for a spell isn't the end of the world, at least in my eyes.
    On trips where I have forgotten my toothbrush, I broke a small and thin spruce branch and frayed the end by rubbing it on a rock. This also softened up the fibers a bit. It's no toothbrush but it was better than nothing.

31. hdlv

hdlv Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've got a very small kit for this.

Tiny eye dropper bottle of hand sanitizer
    Tooth brush with handle cut down
    Tiny tooth paste (I've also dehydrated toothpaste dots and have just brushed with water which is fine if you are out of toothpaste)
    TP in a ziplock bag.
    Small TI spade for cat holes.

That's about all I can think of. I used to carry a dropper bottle of Dr. brommers in concentrated form but never really used it so that generally stays at home.

morganbw likes this.
  32. petey091

petey091 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't shave when backpacking. My hygiene kit is just a travel size tube of tooth paste and toothbrush and hand sanitizer. No deodorant because it's a smellable. My hair is short but I also wear a hat. I use the blue shop towels cut in quarters as tp. The hygiene kit and food go in the bear bag and gets hung each night.

morganbw and Red Wing like this.
  33. mtwarden

mtwarden Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    this little kit has worked for me for the last several years- I can adjust the #/amount for the days out- small dropper of unscented Bronners soap (a little goes a loooong ways!), Nano paktowel, two piece toothbrush, small container of tooth powder, gum pics and a small Vaseline. Items and small bag ~ 2 ounces

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

34. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    @mtwarden can you say more about your process, not just the gear? Does the bronners and towel get used for a regular trail bath? I'm especially curious since you clearly do a lot of big mile/high effort days, so I assume you would have a process that takes into account being really tired before bedtime, which is probably one of the excuses people have for minimizing their cleaning/grooming in the wilderness.

morganbw likes this.
  35. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    On big mileage days (read trips w/o my wife :4:) I "groom" minimally. I brush/floss my teeth in the evening. Usually a "spit bath" every other day; this is more so to prevent chaffing/funk than smelling good- although it does help that too :). Wetting up the areas that need cleaned, a couple of drops (literally drops- its that concentrated) in my already wet hands, lather it up, clean, rinse and pat dry with the little towel.

My feet see more "grooming" than the rest as they're the highest priority. At lunch when I take my first sit down break- I'll dry them and let them air the entire time (even though they go right back into wet/soaking socks/shoes). At night they get dried again and aired as long as possible. When it's time to hit the hay, they get rubbed with Hydropel and dry sleep socks donned. Hydropel helps resists maceration of the feet in very wet conditions. It's no longer made (my stash is running low), but some have said Bonnie's Balm is a pretty good substitute.

I've never suffered more than a hotspot with totally wet feet (15+ hour days) and 30-40 mile days. Feet need your attention.

36. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hah!

And great, great points about foot care in terms of personal maintenance--no one wants to limp long distances due to hot spots (or outright maceration).

morganbw and mtwarden like this.
  37. clueless on the delaware

clueless on the delaware Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i'm a bit odd, i just need to shave at least every other day or else no amount of bathing will take away the groty feeling. i guess because my beard grows so fast; i have a 5 o'clock shadow by 2 o'clock. consequently, my home razor, a double sided single blade safety razor, comes with me along with my badger hair brush and bar of williams shave soap. home toothe brush as well, along with a travel size tube of tooth paste, small chunk of fells naptha laundry soap, and a wash cloth. i carry a comb in my back pocket every day so that comes along ,too. never weighed it, but it doesn't take up that much space.

38. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Any time I'm lout side I wear sun/safety glasses .
    Tooth brush and paste are essential ,not knowing exactly how long I may be out there.
    Bathing is a nonessential , only modern man, made it a cultural necessity . however if it is a hunting trip, smoke does well to cover ones set for a while.
    A hair brush/comb are as old as time and important ,for keeping/getting critters out of ones hair . ( note I spritz Skin so Soft in my hair and it brushes smoother and repels the insects too.)
    I haven't shaved in years, probably never will .
    Sox I change regularly and wash /dry them regularly .my feet tend to sweat on a hike/working .
    Same with under ware ,head bands and or hats .
    Leather gloves don't get any particular care , they don't last long enough to worry about.
    DSCN4439.JPG

39. Lazy J

Lazy J Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Baby wipes are great, generally don't take soap as we have a tree around here called the soap tree that can be used to get a good lather and clean yourself up.
    You should be cleaning your teeth at least twice a day so have a brush with the handle cut down and travel toothpaste.
    Always like to carry a few spare socks to change during the day so you don't get that funky foot odour!

40. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well, I always try to enter the woods clean. It simplifies things

I keep my bag packed and ready to go most of the time. And I often don't need a lot of hygiene on a short overnight so I try to keep it light to help it survive the gear selection. I keep all the stuff in a 1 cup ziploc and some small stuff gets in to partial ziplocs that i seal by melting the end off and smooshing it together.
    I saw and broke off a toothbrush, baking soda, gold bond in partial bag
    a couple grams of deodorant in a corner sack (i heard a stick of chapstick is a good container but haven't tried it yet.
    large sewing needle and 6-10 feet of heavy nylon thread, a little tenacious tape in case my air mattress pops

And i haven't tried them yet but I bought some of the "sea to summit soap leaves, and laundry leaves" last weekend. They are super light like maybe 5 grams but I haven't tested their effectiveness yet. The contents of the body wash leaves and laundry leaves look extremely similar so we'll see. maybe one of them will leave my kit? Dawn concentrate for my canteen cup was the previous soap i had.
    I keep a pack of dried out wet wipes too, they are really good to have and light enough to carry more of, if you dry them out.

I also keep my folding saw wrapped up in a small camp towel i use on my tarp, that i can clean out and use to scrub, rinse, then dry off with, if i really need to take a full field bath.
    Alost forgot I keep about a 1/4 of a roll of tp in its own ziploc bag

morganbw, rsnurkle and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  41. Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to ask but as non native speaker I don´t know what readers are. Thanks for helping out :)

42. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Guide

Blog Posts:
    Readers are another name for reading glasses. A lot of folks need/have glasses just for reading print or seeing things very close up with clarity. Called readers because that's about all they're good for, cant see very far away with them :dblthumb:

morganbw, rsnurkle and Gunnarsson like this.
  43. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    No shaving on outings for me! My girls are opposed to me having facial hair, so outings are my opportunity to let it grow a bit ;-)
    I also don't worry about my hair. If I end up looking all "mountain man", that's ok with me really.
    My own smell doesn't bother me for a few days, so bathing isn't usually a requirement. Sadly, all of my trips are 3 days or less. I'll bring deodorant if it's excessively hot, or if my daily activities involve being among non-campers.

I'm kind of a dental care nut; Lost a tooth due to an external impact once, and it made me a little fanatical about taking care of the rest of them. So, always floss, a full-sized toothbrush (they don't really weigh that much), and a travel tube of toothpaste.

I always bring at least a very small bottle of hand-sanitizer. I can use it alone, or I can first wash with warm water, and follow with the sanitizer.

44. Alex Blain-Laider

Alex Blain-Laider Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What's a razor for?!

morganbw likes this.
  45. ouroboros

ouroboros Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No deodorant, no shaving, I do wear contacts... I bring a tiny plastic bottle from REI with solution and a contact case. I bring a backup pair of glasses in a hard case that I tend to put on when I get to camp.

Other than that, I bring a Ziploc bag of some TP, a cut off tooth brush and travel size tooth paste and a Ziploc of some baby wipes. I also always bring a blue surgical towel (around 12"x18") that has a ton of uses from cleaning pots to sweat.

46. YacoltWose

YacoltWose Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Southwest Washington (formerly known as ORWose)
    I'm a big fan of Gold Bond for feet and the nether regions.

For extended, week or so trips, it may be helpful to trim armpit hair and hair in other areas that get sweaty and dank. Trim not "shave"

morganbw likes this.
  47. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Baby wipes are a must. I take 15-20 at a time and put into a slide lock plastic zip bag.
    I take 1-2 bars of motel soap.
    Regular tooth brush with small container of baking soda instead of toothpaste.
    Glasses- I always take a pair of drug store readers. 2.5+ magnification. They're great for locating a splinter or other fine work... like reading.
    Shaving- I seldom shave while camping. Even at home I only shave 1-2 times a week since I retired. For camping, get a bottle of 'Shave Secret' from Walmart or drug store. The bottle is about the size of my little finger and cost less that $3. A few drops on a wet hand, then rub into beard. No foam... just a very well lubricated shave. Smells good, too.

I get my razors from Dollar Shave Club. Great quality. I get five cartridges every 2 months for $2. Can't beat it!

I put all my toiletries and small gear in a nylon zipper pouch. It keeps everything together. Very handy for travel of any kind.

Steve

morganbw, HP500 and rsnurkle like this.
  48. Isnalawica

Isnalawica Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is what I carry (2.6 Oz with ziplock to fit the whole kit):
    IMG_20170405_204929[1].jpg
    No shaving. Microfiber towel, paper soap, hair brush (I have long hair), travel toothbrush and dehydrated toothpaste dots.
    Weighs nothing and takes up very little room so no reason to go without it. I wear glasses and should carry a spare pair but I admit I rarely do.
    Edit: I also carry a toothpick (on a tiny SAK), a tiny bottle of hand sanitizer and talc (very useful when you sweat a lot) in my FAK.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    morganbw, WILL and rsnurkle like this.
  49. PoconoChris

PoconoChris Tracker

Blog Posts:
    How many posts with load outs I have viewed I rarely see anyone packing TP. You guys are Real Men with all the bacon and coffee you guys go through!!
    I have one of these in all my packs, a half roll in a zip-lock bag.
    It's a dollar a sheet out in the bush if you forgot it.:D
    20170405_185854.jpg

morganbw, WILL and rsnurkle like this.
  50. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    I no longer pack TP- instead I use paper shop towels cut into sheets- 20+ times stronger than tp- it won't tear, you can wet it throughly and it still doesn't tear

you use far less and have a much more enjoyable "experience" :4: