Marine Gen 1 Large Field Pack

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by RackinRay, Apr 1, 2018.

1. RackinRay

RackinRay Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Have a chance to buy one, with the patrol pack, for a good price in like new condition. Anyone with experience with them that would share their insights on the system? The good/the bad/the ugly so to speak!

Bobsdock likes this.
  2. petey091

petey091 Scout

Blog Posts:
    A buddy of mine had one. They are heavy. I think somewhere around 9 pounds. If you are going to be backpacking with it there are a lot of better options out there.

3. 111mm Scout

111mm Scout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Are you talking about the ILBE pack? If so I have had one for about 8 years. Their weight is comforting in the thickness of material that is used. I've used mine on a few trips but never gone on extended hikes with it. As stated above there are better options out there but for the money you can't really beat them if your in the market and have little to spend. I really like the simplicity of it and the no BS design. No sections of small useless pockets, the zippers are bomb proof and you have acres of area on the outside to lash, loop, tie or otherwise fix other gear to it. I would be willing to pay about $75 for one if I was in the market....any more than that and I would start looking at used large ALICE packs with frames....last one of those I picked up was $50 with a new frame, hellcat route would be a side step from the ILBE.

Only issue I've ever had with mine is one of the buckles for the lid cinch strap cracked. It still cinches very well without slipping but it did crack.

You mention it has the patrol pack, is this the day pack size? not the 3 day medical bag? I think whoever designed the smaller backpack did not have their head on straight when they decided how to put the buckles on. Why on earth they did not alternate the buckles before sewing them in so that you could take the two opposing long lengths of straps and strap larger items across the "front" of the pack is beyond me. Something that has bothered me for awhile about that particular pack. Love mine though....will haul a lot and again...no small pockets other than the side zipper map section.

4. wizard

wizard Guide

Blog Posts:
    RackinRay likes this.
  5. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    If its a CFP-90, pass on it. The plastic on them becomes brittle and fails. I got one and am trying to mod it for ALICE straps to salvage it. I use the small patrol pack for hunting or day pack. Its gtg...

6. RackinRay

RackinRay Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate the inputs, and will likely snag a commercial pack as well, like the one posted by wizard or very similar. I bought it anyway, it can be a guest pack if we relocate like we hope to in the near future.

7. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would avoid the military packs all together.

They are HEAVY, with no benefit.

8. DirtmanDave

DirtmanDave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd go with a Marine Gen 1 pack. Military packs are for the most part are bomb proof designed to take abuse. Bang it around, over stuff it, drag it behind your vehicle. Keeps on ticking.
    Semper Fi!