Maui 2019 Trip

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by roadend, Mar 19, 2019.

1. roadend

roadend Wandering Where I Can Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My wife and I just got back from a trip to Maui. Not much for bushcrafting but lots of hiking and exploring. I figured I would show off some of the flora and fauna.

I will start off with sunset. [​IMG]

My wife and I drove to the east end of the island via the Hana Hwy for a few days. First up was a quick hike through a lava tube. It was about ½ mile to the end and back. Only light was a flashlight for each of us.
    [​IMG]

Sunrise in Hana

[​IMG]

A highlight of the trip for us was the hike up the Pipiwai Trail to the Waimoku waterfall. It was about four miles round trip. We almost did not attempt it due to the Oheo pools being dry. Thankfully we did go all the way. First a banyan tree. The most bushcrafting occurred here when I cut some dead bamboo into hiking sticks for my wife and I, using a saw and knife I had brought.
    [​IMG]

Some falls between pools on Pipiwai Creek.

[​IMG]

Bamboo forest. I need to do some research on bamboo on Maui, it seems to be taking over a lot of places.

[​IMG]

The destination.

[​IMG]

cont.

2. roadend

Blog Posts:
  3. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great pictures and tr, thanks.

roadend likes this.
  4. Yknpdlr

Yknpdlr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice trip. But I didn't see any pics of "Big Beach" or the well known "Little Beach".:22:
    I worked for the Air Force at the mountain top observatory for a few years some time ago.

roadend likes this.
  5. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I was there in January.

Found the biggest avocados I've ever seen at a farm stand on the Road to Hana
    [​IMG]

My son and I jumped from this 40' cliff into Ching's Pond.
    [​IMG]

We surfed Paia Bay
    [​IMG]

Snorkeling at Molokini Crater
    [​IMG]

Might not have been bushcraft, but plenty of outdoor adventure for sure.

6. roadend

Blog Posts:
    We stopped at Big and Little Beach. Not as good for swimming as other places IMHO. Great for laying out tanning and relaxing though. No bathrooms either. That sounds like a cool job working at Science City.

We love Hana. This was the second time we spent nights there. Some of the best food on the island is from the food trucks there. Stopped at a Halfway to Hana for bananna bread. Saw lots of great fruit at many stands.

No cliff diving for me.

Paia- Loving hanging out here as well. I will pass at kissing the bottom of the ocean trying to surf giant waves.

Molokini- I would love to snorkel here but no company will money back guarantee me if we can't go due to weather. I can get to all the "other" places they snorkel at myself.

happywanderer, M.Hatfield and beacon like this.
  7. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The banana bread at the Hana Farms stand was out of this world. This is also where we found the giant avocados.

The surf was only head-high the day we were at Paia, so not too big.

I know what you mean about the Molokini tours. I would have been disappointed if we had not made it that day. We did snorkel at numerous other locations (without a guide), but Molokini was something to see.

Personally, I would like to do some more hiking next time.

M.Hatfield and roadend like this.
  8. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice trip! Is Hana still overrun by cats? The one time my wife & I were there we were warned about all the interbred cats at Hana and sure enough, as soon as we parked the car we were surrounded by the weirdest looking felines I'd ever seen. Almost like something out of a horror movie. Way too many for my taste.

Also, I was lucky enough when I was there to paddle with the Kihei club. Is there a man by the name of Kapena still coaching/working with them. At the time (over 20 years ago) he had been hired by the state to teach traditional outrigger paddling and to bring the sport back. I even worked with him on getting bent shaft paddles from the states for his program as I knew a person in the industry. We had a great day paddling with them and I even got to go out in a solo outrigger that day so thanks for bringing back so many wonderful memories.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

happywanderer, M.Hatfield and roadend like this.
  9. roadend

Blog Posts:
    I am not even a good enough surfer to attempt little waves. We do enjoy watching the surfers and kite boarders. Also the beach usually has some turtles.

Next time you go, hit me up if need some ideas or advice. My wife and even have backpacked through Haleakalā. There is only one hike on my list I have not done.

All the areas we were at were not overrun by cats. The public beach area if i remember right is probably the worst. We stayed at a house on the beach about a mile from downtown and did not venture to the public beach area. There are some cats but not the worst I have seen. Chickens seemed to be a bigger issue.

Unfortunately we mostly bonded with the stearsmen and bowswomen in our boat. I do not recall that mans name in their culture explanation before we departed. I will say the outrigger culture seems to be alive. With many clubs throughout the island. One beach in Lahaina (Hanakaoo) has at least half a dozen clubs, a few in Kehei and it seemed like most cities had a club. They have a few cultural races as well (Maui to Moloka'i Moloka'i to Oahu) every year.

10. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That looks like a special kind of paradise. You are quite fortunate to visit and enjoy such a spot! :)

The humidity alone would scare me away. Did you enjoy time on land or on water more?

roadend likes this.
  11. roadend

Blog Posts:
    Humidity? Has never been an issue when I have visited. I suppose it can get bad in some locations but the nice thing about Maui is you can find the weather you like someplace on the island.

This trip we enjoyed our time on land more. If relaxing on a beach is still land. Although canoeing was amazing.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  12. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just got back from Maui and Kauai myself. Who knows, maybe we crossed paths?
    First week on Maui, we tried to drive the road to Hanah, but it rained most of the day, so we gave up after passing the halfway point. Got soaked walking to the first waterfall, and never left the car after that. The road was slippery from all the rain, and after the midpoint I began to become concerned for our safety. One guy passed us in a large pick-up truck in a clearly marked no passing zone, and we came around one of the hairpins to find a guy in a Toyota Tundra halfway in our lane. I enjoyed Maui, but really liked Kauai, where we spent the second week. Took a boat trip up the Napoli coast and visited Waimea Canyon. I loved the relatively undeveloped areas we visited on Kauai, and the plant life was spectacular. One of the best things of the whole trip was not one bug---not a mosquito, not a noseum, or a sandfly, and we were in some thick jungles.
    There was a very isolated beach halfway up the Napoli coast where camping is allowed. I would love to return to spend a week camping on that beach. The hiking trail in is ranked 10/10 for difficulty by the Sierra Club. I think I would rent a sea kayak and paddle to the beach.
    Nice photos. Glad you had a better trip to Hanah than we did.

roadend and beacon like this.
  13. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hawaii is a place I'd love to visit.

I bet the surf fishing is fantastic. I remember reading that Hawaii is one of the few places it's theoretically possible to catch an pelagic fish (tuna. Swordfish marlin etc) from the shore due to the rapid drop off of the continental shelf and close proximity of the open ocean .

No idea if it's been done but the thought of that haunts my dreams!

roadend likes this.
  14. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love to fish, and before we went, I asked about the potential to shore fish because I really don't like spending a bunch of money to charter a boat. I was told bringing my gear to shore fish was a waste of time. Then I get there and everywhere I look, people are fishing from shore, and I am told by too many people to count that I should have brought my gear. Live and learn. If I ever go back, you can bet I will have my rod and reel.

roadend and Paulyseggs like this.
  15. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @rbinhood that happened to me when I went to Puerto Rico as a kid! Ended up scraping together a handline and had a blast!

I never travel without a rod and reel now .

roadend likes this.
  16. roadend

Blog Posts:
    I looked into fishing a couple of trips ago. If I remember correctly it is free to fish. We saw lots of folks fishing from shore. I do not recall if or what they caught. You can rent fishing equipment at most of the snorkel shops. We saw a few people spear fishing. They almost always came out of the water with something.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  17. roadend

Blog Posts:
    Maybe we did cross paths. Weather was great on the way to Hana and while we were there. I can see it being bad while it raining. Some of the locals that were headed against us were bad. We just about got hit by one as well. I also saw lots of tourists not letting the locals pass. Not sure why you would want someone ridding your butt for awhile just to make a point.

Kauai is on my list of places to get to as well.

Paulyseggs likes this.