Medical journal

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Riverpirate, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have kept a journal for many years now of my adventures but my recent dealings with my wife and her fight against cancer brought to light the importance of a different journal. In helping her in this fight I realized we were not prepared. There were too many unknowns. And the heat of the battle is not the time to be trying to learn about the past.

I encourage everybody to start right now on a medical journal. Start with your daye of birth, something every doctor and insurance company is going to ask right after they get your name. After that write down your social security number, another must. They all track you from birth to death with this number. Then write down all you present doctors. Then all your insurance information. All of it, medical, life and any special insurance you have like a cancer policy.

Next write down anything you are allergic to.

Now right down any present medical conditions such as heart disease or diabetes of any other things you are being treated for.

Next write down any and all drugs you are presently on. Do this in pencil and leave room to change as your meds change over the years. Make sure and keep this current.

Once you have all this go back as far as you can remember with any and all medical history. If you don’t know exact dates give month and year or at least year. Everything from tetanus shots to any and all major medical procedures.

Now keep this journal going for the remainder of your life. Write down EVERY medical experience you have. Dates, times, doctor visits and anything and everything from a cold to any major medical work.

If you are a parent, start one for your kid the day they are born. Keep up with everything.

Use an old school hand written journal. One you can carry with you everywhere you go if need be. Leave plenty of space between pages for doctors insurance and such so that you can change or add as life changes.

Keep up with this journal and update it EVERYTIME medical needs arise. If you get to where you can’t make entries have your care taker make them. This journal will become important to you and loved ones who may have to take care of you when you can’t.

2. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker Traveller Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing.
    Good advice learned the hard way....

3. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And don’t forget to do a will and advanced directive.

rsnurkle, gohammergo and M.Hatfield like this.
  4. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I started one and completely agree with you. Qhen I went to the hospital a while back and the girl asked when my symptoms started and what they were I just handed her ny journal. She made a face. Hey I get tired of telling the same crap over and over and over, and I don't want to leave anything out.

When I had to call the ambulance I pay my journal on the table, on the front it says Medical Journal in big print. SincecI had already passed out it was a little reassuring as I live alone.

5. stillman

stillman Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This is good advice.

gohammergo and M.Hatfield like this.