Meet up

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by ponchomatt, Oct 22, 2018.

1. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had never really dug through this section of the forum before and honestly never realized how many of my fellow North Carolinians are on here. Sure I knew there were a few but I’m just really curious as to why I never see anyone post anything about trying to get a meet together? I always see Tn guys and Ga guys getting together to hang out but never NC. Am I missing something?

Forestree likes this.
  2. cachambers

cachambers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I believe there has been a few, possibly a joint venture with neighboring states. It's been talked about multiple times though.

Forestree likes this.
  3. ponchomatt

Blog Posts:
    It’s be pretty cool to get something together. Even an afternoon hike would be cool.

Forestree likes this.
  4. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd be willing!

Forestree likes this.
  5. ponchomatt

Blog Posts:
    Where abouts are you?

6. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Forestree likes this.
  7. ponchomatt

Blog Posts:
    Ok, I live in Statesville. Roughly 2 hours or so west of you. How far are you willing to drive?

Forestree likes this.
  8. Soilman

Soilman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think there is a group that does a get together in the Uwharries from time to time. I've never been to one though.

Forestree likes this.
  9. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I moved here to Morganton recently and would be up for a meetup and meet some new folks. I ended up meeting a bunch of "internet bushcraft" folks when I was in Louisiana and everyone was good people.....ended up camping with everyone pretty regular. Don't see why it'd be any different here so I'd be in

Seeker likes this.
  10. ponchomatt

Blog Posts:
    You’re right next to the gorge. That’s a perfect spring meet right there

Forestree likes this.
  11. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, that sounds fun. Though doing a gorge trip might wouldn’t bring as many folks as a more “accessible” spot would. I’d be good for whatever and I enjoy trips of all sorts....we should definitely try to plan something though

12. LogCabin

LogCabin Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have seen sedans on the 105. I have also seen broken pieces hanging down.
    I would do it in my Subaru, but prefer the 4WD Tacoma.

Forestree likes this.
  13. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    I've been up on the old 105 quite a bit in the past months and it isn't in terrible shape....there was really only one bad spot where a car could punch a hole in the oil pan or lose it's exhaust pipe :17:

What I meant by accessible, I guess I was more thinking about the hike down into and back out of the gorge. There's plenty of good dispersed car camping sites along the 105 as y'all may know. But if we decided on a car camping meetup, there's tons of other areas as well that might would be a little more desirable....more off the beaten track with less people/cars driving by and maybe somewhere along a creek.

I guess it all depends on who would be in and what their abilities/preference of trips would be. I'm pretty much up for anything....backpacking, canoe camping, car camping or whatever. Would hate to drive away others that would like to join though, just because they aren't able to do a strenuous hike. Guess we should just make a plan and see who all chimes in.....anyone have any preference as to the date, place or type of trip?

14. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    BTW, where are you located @snwcmpr ?

15. LogCabin

LogCabin Scout

Blog Posts:
    West of Waynesville in the mountains.

16. ponchomatt

Blog Posts:
    I’m down for car camping or backpacking. Not as familiar with all of western NC but have done hikes on the northern end of the gorge and on the southern end up shortoff. Shortoff is beautiful

17. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Oh man yeah, Shortoff is amazing! I admittedly haven't been up there in about 20 years, but used to hike up there with my dad and friends thereafter growing up. Will always remember when hiking there as a kid, my dad would go ahead and drop his pack and come back and carry mine. The last backpacking trip I did with him was going from Table Rock to Shortoff for the night. I remember when hiking back up to the Chimneys I went ahead and dropped my pack and hiked back to carry my dads up. He was grateful and I was proud to do it and that was the last trip we ever took....will remember that forever.

I went to hike up there a couple months ago from Wolf pit rd and there were cars everywhere! I ended up turning around and found a lesser used trail and hiked down to the river. It was really nice but it wasn't near as majestic as looking down from the cliffs on Shortoff. The Linville river is beautiful though!

Well I vote let's shoot for a car camping trip for this one so that it's maybe easier for folks to attend. And we can bring more tools, tarps, cast iron and good food. I’ve been a hankering to get my dutch oven back in the fire! Not sure where folks would be coming from….if any, but I could find us a good spot on the national forest north of Morganton and Marion. I’ve got some time to do some scouting and can make a map to the location. I'm also up for any other ideas as well

Bushcraft Grizz and LogCabin like this.
  18. slowpony

slowpony City Slicker

Blog Posts:
    I’d be down for a trip. I’m in raleigh. I’ve been to Uwharrie bushcraft meets before. They’ve been slowing down over the years.

Forestree likes this.
  19. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Grey Owl Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm in Maiden and would be interested, but it depends upon when and where. My old knees get mad pretty easy.

Forestree likes this.
  20. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Hey fellas, glad to see some more interest :dblthumb: Thinking about a location...I've had Boone Fork Campground (on the Pisgah NF) on my mind. It's a semi-closed area that isn't maintained as a campground anymore but can still be used for dispersed camping. It is not true car camping as the road in is gated at a fishing pond.....but a super easy flat 0.5 mile road walk past the gate to the camp area. It's a really cool spot in the woods next to a nice creek and there's barely anyone that uses it. Looks to be plenty of wood for burning and bushcrafting and several trails leading out to hike if you choose. There's still picnic tables and unmaintained pit toilets (or plenty of woods for privacy to do your business).

Seems like a great spot that is very accessible and can be found on Google maps yet still remote enough to provide a favorable bushcraft environment ;) If anyone had concerns about carrying their gear the .5 mile to the camp then I would be more than willing to help pack your gear in.....well anything 50 lbs and under at least :D

I'm thinking about maybe planning on Feb or March. Sound ok? I can go ahead and set a date (rain or shine), but not sure what's the best weekend for those that might would join? You can PM me or post up here. Let's make it happen!

21. ponchomatt

Blog Posts:
    I work every other weekend so that leaves me two Saturdays a month. March looks pretty good for me

22. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Ok cool, there is a meetup being planned in the Virginia section for March 15 -17 that I am going to try and make if my ankle is better by then. I’d be up for another meetup here in NC on any of the other weekends in March as well. Guess someone should just set a date I suppose

23. ponchomatt

Blog Posts:
    I just checked the calendar. I’m actually off the first, middle, and last weekend of March. So with that weekend in the middle being for the Va meet up. I’d be down for the first or last weekend in March at the place you were talking about

Forestree likes this.
  24. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Ok cool, well let’s plan on the first weekend in March 1-3. Sound good? I’ll plan to be out there for 2 nights but if folks only come for the day or one night then that’s cool too. I’ll get together a good map and coordinates and maybe we can start a new invite thread

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  25. ponchomatt

Blog Posts:
    Sounds good to me!

26. Forestree

Blog Posts: