Meetup/campout - March 1-3 2019 - Near Lenoir, NC

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by Forestree, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Forestree

Forestree Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    After discussing in the meetup thread, I'm planning to camp and meetup with any other folks that want to head out to Boone Fork Campground near Lenoir, NC the weekend of March 1 - 3. It is listed on Google maps and you should be able to find it fairly easy. There is a campground sign there at the Mulberry Creek Rd intersection so you shouldn't miss it.

The campground is semi-closed and isn't maintained anymore and seems to see very little use. I asked at the ranger station if it was ok to camp there and was told it was fine and was just treated the same as dispersed camping (primitive, no fee, pack out your trash, etc). The road in is gated at a fishing pond where you can park and it's an easy flat road walk just under a half mile to the campground. There is a nice creek at the site for water and several trails leading out to do some hiking. Looks to be plenty of downed wood laying around for a nice fire. The cell service with Verizon is slim to none FYI.

I really like this place and was just out there this weekend. Out in the boonies and quiet. It also appeals to me since I'm still nursing a sprained ankle and it's easily accessible :54:

Would love to get to meet some other bushwhackers from the area, so come on out! It'll be informal and do whatever you want to do.....I'm at the least planning on burning some wood and eating some good campfire grub :D Post up here or PM me if you're interested or have any questions. Looking forward to it!

IzaWildman, Seeker and OMRebel like this.
  2. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Darn! My parents are coming to visit that weekend... Maybe I can convince them our house is being fumigated or something...

Forestree likes this.
  3. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    7 hours and 57 minutes... gonna have to pass on this one @Forestree!

Missed you at MeatRock this weekend.... cold as heck (14?) but reminded me of the time you made that smoker at your place in LA.

Forestree likes this.
  4. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m down brother. Might bring my 9 and 7 year old boys as well. I’ll see if I can drag anyone else out as well

Forestree likes this.
  5. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Yep, a private jet (and the $ to pay for it) is what we all need :D Maybe see you at the VA meetup

Sounds good!

ponchomatt and Seeker like this.
  6. D.K

D.K Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I should be able to make it. My wife and daughter would be coming too.

ponchomatt and Forestree like this.
  7. D.K

D.K Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The weather is looking too cold and wet for me. I'm still building up my gear after moving back from overseas and I'd freeze :17:
    I would definitely like to meet up with some other bushcrafters once the weather warms up though.

8. LogCabin

LogCabin Scout

Blog Posts:
    @D.K What is too cold? What temp?

9. D.K

D.K Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Its not so much the cold on its own, but the rain with it.
    At the moment I have blankets and a tarp. I prefer tarps to tents :) I had a down surplus bag with Zrest pad. On this trip I was going to just use a few blankets and make a leaf/debri bed under my groundcloth. I can get some rain gear although I was hoping it would just stay dry :)

Forestree likes this.
  10. LogCabin

LogCabin Scout

Blog Posts:
  11. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    It’s still almost 2 weeks away....I wouldn’t bet on a forecast at this point. But I understand if the weather is nasty and not coming. I’ve become more of a fair weather camper myself but I’ll be there nonetheless if you change your mind. I’ll have a 10x12 tarp set up to hang out under in case of rain. If you decide to come and need to borrow any gear, let me know as I have extra stuff