Memorial Day weekend 2019 paddle trip (LA/TX)

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by OMRebel, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    NoBrakesRacing and OMRebel like this.
  2. OMRebel

OMRebel Meanderer of the Piney Woods Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hey that's great, sure do hope you can make it out. Is that canoe plan one you're looking at building? That would be prrety cool. Let me know if you need one for the trip.

3. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    That is the one I am leaning toward right now. After re-reading the Texas law about registration, I realized that I could go bigger than 14ft as long as I don't put a sail or motor on it. Free plans and a length that gives me a payload big enough for my fat butt and plenty of gear is a win in my book! Heck I may even order the full size plans this weekend, it will still be way cheaper than buying a canoe (except maybe off craig's list). If for some reason it doesn't pan out, I'll hit you up to borrow your spare.

OMRebel likes this.
  4. OMRebel

OMRebel Meanderer of the Piney Woods Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Sounds good. If you do build it I hope you will start a thread and let us follow along.

Woodsman Wannabe likes this.
  5. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Haddn't thought about a build thread, but, yeah, I'll be sure to do that. Downloaded the free version of the plans & instructions last night. Very easy to follow and will be sufficient for me. Of course after I did that I looked at a few more models, but I think I better stick with this one for now. Mrs is already going to have a fit when she finds out that I am starting another boat since the first one has been half completed hanging from the rafters in the garage for the last 3 years. ( pdracer.com )

OMRebel likes this.
  6. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Well, just don't tell her about until the weekend of the trip, you'll be looking for a place to spend a few nights then anyway, lol!

7. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Okay, there is still a couple months to go before the trip, but I thought it would be good to list those who have indicated interest and maybe get some confirmation. I have started a PM for some who have said they are planning to go, but I could only send to 5 people. If you are wanting to go and were not on the list I'll send another group message. Here's who I have so far, not necessarily committed, but at least looking at going:

OMRebel w/ son*
    @saustin1967* possibly with son and DIL
    @rcwells (?)
    @Hoof (?)
    @Woodsman Wannabe*
    @Miles7 (?)
    @MidSouthOutdoors*
    @Nonc-Tobe (?)
    @Ossmaninthewild (?)
    @SouthernJourneyman W/ 2 sons*
    @kronin323 w/ wife and children (?)

If you would like to be added to the list then I will be happy to do so. If you know you can't make it, just let me know. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Edited to add status, as I understand it. Please let me know if your status is correct or changes. Thanks!

LIST UPDATED BELOW POST #83

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  8. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Man, this interests me, but it's a 5 1/2 hour drive each way (with a canoe on the roof) so it's probably unlikely but I'll feel out the wife about her interest...

Any other spouses or kiddos attending? Are they even welcome?

9. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I believe @SouthernJourneyman will be bringing his kids. I will either have my oldest (19) or youngest (12). The more spouses and kids we have to chop firewood the better, imho...lol! Just kidding, but I will say that it out in the wilderness with zero amenities. Also, if the children are small, I will warn you that there have been quite a few gator sightings near our back cove. However we have never had any on our point and I am sure it would be safe, just want to put it out there.

I know that is a long drive for you. I was considering the trip in Texas that was being discussed and that was a heavy factor for me. I hope ya'll will consider it and come on out, it will be a good time!

Young Blacksmith and kronin323 like this.
  10. rcwells

rcwells Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Any chance you know Spencer Reiter?

OMRebel likes this.
  11. SouthernJourneyman

SouthernJourneyman Bushwalker Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My boys will be with me, not sure if my wife and daughter are going to try and make this trip. They are older, 13 and 15 and are used to not having a whole lot when we go camping. They'll enjoy a chance to see the local wildlife, we don't get to many gator sightings over this way.

kronin323 and OMRebel like this.
  12. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I do not, is he a member here?

13. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I haven't seen any myself, but we have had a several folks in boats come by and tell us they've seen "just over there." Normally when we are swimming.:11:

might be able to paddle down the creek a little and have a better chance.

kronin323 likes this.
  14. saustin1967

saustin1967 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My Oldest and his wife may come, not sure yet

kronin323 and OMRebel like this.
  15. rcwells

Blog Posts:
    No, he is/was a custom knife/gear maker, under the brand name SAR Global Tools, Spencer Alan Reiter. He is from Deridder. Google SAR Hornet Knife. He sold or licensed Pohl Force to make that knife, but before that happened he made quite a few variations. I owned a couple but sold long ago. He made a lot of cool little gadgets and such.
    Anyways, I think he quit all that and moved away somewhere and started a fly fishing guide business.

OMRebel likes this.
  16. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Dang, sounds like he's living the dream.

rcwells likes this.
  17. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Sweet! I'm thinking about going out and improving the hike-in area this weekend and setting up some markers. May stay out the night if I get permission...

Young Blacksmith likes this.
  18. rcwells

Blog Posts:
    What is the specific location so I can factor the drive?

OMRebel likes this.
  19. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    google South Toledo Bend. 255 runs along the south of the reservoir. If you see where the Sabine River comes out that'll put you under 10 minutes to arrival. Adding you to PM for a map.

20. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Just updated the list of attendees on post 57 with status. * means I am tracking you are coming, (?) means unsure. Please let me know if anything needs to change.

21. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Still going out to Coon Point tomorrow to do a bit of trail work if any of you local guys want to join. I'm planning to hike in, mark a trail, and maybe establish a good parking area. Will camp on the point.

Young Blacksmith likes this.
  22. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mrs is trying to convince Daughter (17) to participate, so far it looks doubtful, but never know..... Maybe if Daughter doesn't Mrs will, she enjoyed getting out to Ratcliff a few weeks back.

OMRebel likes this.
  23. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like they're not up for it so you can drop me from the list. I look forward to seeing pics, though.

OMRebel likes this.
  24. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I hate to hear that, but appreciate the update. If things change or you decide to come out yourself then you are more than welcome.

kronin323 likes this.
  25. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    That would be good. I could see if my 17 y/o daughter would like to come to, though that might be a miracle, lol.

26. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Alrighty folks, this is for those who would rather walk in...

I went out to do some trail work for the upcoming trip. Here's a trip report if you're interested. This will benefit anyone who would rather hike in or that may not have a canoe. The hike takes about 10 minutes if you don't stop and enjoy the forest from time to time. I would also range it between easy and moderate as far as intensity goes.

I tried flagging as few trees as possible, but enough to keep visibility from one point to the next to make it easy to navigate. I have used two methods for marking...

The first is by double taping. This signifies it is in line with the azimuth. If you are headed to Coon Point and have a compass, a 12° azimuth will line you up straight.
    20190331_125548.jpg
    The single tape is for general trail guidance and will take you around thick growth type obstacles. I did some minor cutting and moved some logs out of the way to make an easier path. There are a few logs that will have to be stepped over.
    20190331_125343 - Copy.jpg

I have a few more details I will add to the private message, as far as location of the parking area. Please let me know if you need to be added to that.

27. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been buying pouches, waterproof bags, dry sacks, etc in preparation so I have a stack of packages that have been delivered. Mrs called last night and said I had a package about 8ft long delivered yesterday. That would be the oars for the PD Racer. If I participate by myself, I will be rowing the Racer.

Daughter is apparently starting to come around to the idea of the trip. She supposedly mentioned to Mrs that it would be fun if we could go kayaking (not sure where that came from since we don't have a kayak). If she comes with, we'll be using the, as yet un-built, canoe. I guess if she comes, and it goes well, I will be building her (and I?) a kayak.

OMRebel likes this.
  28. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I need to start getting a few dry bags myself, one tip over and I'll be starting from scratch with a lot of gear...:eek:

saustin1967 and Woodsman Wannabe like this.
  29. saustin1967

saustin1967 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It could happen. Nothing like an early morning swim on the day your leaving.

30. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Talked with Daughter last night and she says she is in.... (I think I felt the earth stop rotating for a brief moment....) So it looks like I have no choice but to build the canoe.

SouthernJourneyman and OMRebel like this.
  31. SouthernJourneyman

Blog Posts:
    I may have to talk my daughter into it then.

32. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome! Memorial day is quickly approaching, better get cracking, lol. If push comes to shove I have an extra canoe or folks can hike in.

33. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Updated list, please let me know if it is correct. Also, not too late to be added...

OMRebel w/ son and friend*
    @saustin1967* w/ son and DIL
    @Woodsman Wannabe *
    @MidSouthOutdoors *
    @Ossmaninthewild *
    @SouthernJourneyman W/ 2 sons*
    @rcwells *
    @Miles7 (?)
    @Nonc-Tobe (?)
    @Hoof (?)
    @kronin323 (dropped, but hoping a change of mind happens :4:)

It's looking like a pretty nice group! If anyone has any activities the want to do or skills they want to learn please said the word so we can make some plans.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  34. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately 'The Man' has me slaving away at a remote location for another couple weeks. If the current schedule holds, I'll have time when this project is done to build. If the schedule changes, I may not be participating at all (though I did mention to my manager that I wanted the weekend off)... Have to wait and see.

OMRebel likes this.
  35. SouthernJourneyman

Blog Posts:
    Just got my time off approved so I'm in for sure.

Also, I have a friend that is wanting to come if that's ok.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    OMRebel and Woodsman Wannabe like this.
  36. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Tell the boss you paid a handsome price for this trip and may not get a refund, so you have to go, lol. Just kidding, well, not about the refund. You're not getting a refund!! Seriously though, hope it all works out. The offer for using my extra canoe is still good if you need it.

37. Nonc-Tobe

Nonc-Tobe I call it a black pot

Blog Posts:
    I’m still a maybe now, but will be there if life permits...

OMRebel likes this.
  38. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Awesome, it'll be good to see you!

Nonc-Tobe likes this.
  39. SouthernJourneyman

Blog Posts:
    @OMRebel , if no one else has claimed it and the offer is still open, I may need to borrow your canoe. Not sure if I will have enough kayaks to go around if my daughter comes.

OMRebel likes this.
  40. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    @Woodsman Wannabe first offer was to you, so you get first dibs. Do you think you will need it? If not, I'll bring it for SouthernJourneyman. Whatever happens, we will figure out a way to get everyone in a seat.

41. SouthernJourneyman

Blog Posts:
    I'm hoping to get a canoe before then, if nothing else we can always hike in. But that's only if my daughter goes anyway. Should be enough to go around otherwise.

Woodsman Wannabe and OMRebel like this.
  42. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    No worries. We'll figure it out the day of the trip. I'll have a boat, or I won't. I'll be there or I won't. I can always hike in if necessary. Too far in the future to know at this time. As we get closer I will be sure to keep my status updated.
    I know that doesn't really help to answer the question, but it is the best I can do. Historically I will get a phone call within days/hours of the event....

OMRebel likes this.
  43. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Change 2. Daughter did a very stupid thing last night and will most likely will NOT be joining us for the weekend. Don't ask, that is all I have to say about it at this time.

kronin323 likes this.
  44. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I hate to hear that, hope everything is okay.

45. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Let's talk food...

I came across a video tonight of a man making some very delicious looking ribs and chicken wings and thought it would be neat to do this for out trip, if everyone is open to doing a group meal on Saturday evening. Here is the video, let me know what you think.

Woodsman Wannabe and saustin1967 like this.
  46. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm always open for ribs & chicken. I can't afford a fancy "keeps things cold for a month on 2 ice cubes" cooler so I was planning to get some dry ice to keep my insulin cold over the weekend (looks like HEB sells it). I can always get a little more and bring a bigger cooler if we need it for meat.

Talked with daughter last night. She is apparently supposed to be released back into the wild later this week. Looks like she will be able to join us after all. Told her she will have to help with the building of the canoe because some of my build time has been taken away by work....

OMRebel likes this.
  47. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    That's great news about your daughter, hope she makes it. I did a practice run on those ribs and they are fantastic! However, the only way we will be able to pull that off is if some other folks can bring extra dutch ovens, I didn't think about that, lol. I did two racks in one oven, which fed four hangry people. I'll let some some other chime in on this, but we may have to go with an easier option. Open for idears...

48. SouthernJourneyman

Blog Posts:
    Looks like I'm not going to be able to make it after all. Due to some things going on at work that will be the only time we can take a family trip. We haven't been able to do much as a family the last couple years so I'm going to make the most of it.

@OMRebel, not sure how I could get it to you but I have a dutch oven that you could borrow if need be.

OMRebel and Woodsman Wannabe like this.
  49. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Family is always first! Good choice. I can help getting the cast iron west, but I am not sure how it would get back east again. How far are you from I-59? Could just as easy come across I-20 if that is better.

Speaking of dutch ovens....... I was thinking that I will finish the PDR at the same time I am building the canoe. Then I could tow it behind my canoe as a barge to carry heavy/bulky stuff (like a folding table or dutch ovens) If we think we might need the extra room. (and have a spare boat if someone wants to row)

OMRebel likes this.
  50. SouthernJourneyman

Blog Posts:
    I'm over in Vicksburg, right on I20. If it can make it West, @OMRebel may be able to bring it back east for the September gathering.

OMRebel likes this.