Memorial Day weekend 2019 paddle trip (LA/TX)

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by OMRebel, Jan 23, 2019.

1. OMRebel

OMRebel Meanderer of the Piney Woods Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hey brother, no worries. @Woodsman Wannabe is spot on, family first! Don't worry about the dutch oven, we will work that out. If things change and you can make it, just say the word and we'll add you back on the list. If not, I'll see you in the fall.

SouthernJourneyman likes this.
  2. OMRebel

OMRebel Meanderer of the Piney Woods Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  3. saustin1967

saustin1967 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    OMRebel likes this.
  4. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    And the phone is already ringing..... Starting to look like I am probably going to have to enjoy this one through the photos of others (as usual).

We'll attend if we can, but will be hiking in, won't have time to build the canoe. We'll get it built over the summer so we'll be set up for the next one (and some trips of our own).

OMRebel likes this.
  5. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I'll downgrade you to a maybe.

Hiking trail: For everyone's awareness, the hike is only about 10-15 minutes depending on your pace. It is actually quicker to hike to the point than to paddle. Once at camp, there will be at least two canoes that anyone can use if they would like to paddle around and/or fish out of. I tested my trail markings by having my 12 y/o son lead through it. He found his way, but had trouble with seeing some of the tape. Of course, vegetation has grown thicker since I put it out. I'll get out there again to add some more marking tape to make it easier to see.

Woodsman Wannabe likes this.
  6. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Alrighty folks, this one is sneaking up on us pretty quick. We'll be out there in less than a month! If you are interested in going and haven't chimed in, just say the word, we'd love to have you. Looks like it may be a small group.

Young Blacksmith likes this.
  7. Jeffro

Jeffro Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am in but I'm going to have to walk in. Going to be packing light.

Woodsman Wannabe and OMRebel like this.
  8. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    That is awesome, looking forward to seeing you again!

9. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    DRINK WATER!!!

That's right, folks, drink that water. And when you think you've emptied your canteen just hold it over your heads and turn it upside down. It's getting hot. How hot? It's getting so hot we going to have to take off things we ought-ta keep on. Hotter'n H-E-Double hockey sticks! Hotter than that and half of Texas (you know, that western half). Over on the Louisiana side it's like walking through soup! I saw Satan drinking out of the creek last week. I said, "Satan, what you doin' drinking that creek water?" He said, "I'm hydrating myself, boy, I ain't used to this kind of hot!" Yeah, folks, it's getting hotter than blue blazes!

Seriously folks, I hope you will start now if you haven't already. The temp is rising every day and will likely be over 90 by Memorial Day weekend. I am going to get out there ahead of time and stage some drinking water; but I encourage everyone to bring plenty. (Not that I need to tell anyone how to pack :8:). I will also highly recommend bringing a bathing suit in order to take a dunk or two when it gets too hot, it makes a huge difference!

Three weeks to go, looking forward to seeing everyone!

10. Jeffro

Jeffro Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Y'all got it good over there on the east coast. You got all that wonderful shade. Y'all are just living in the lap of arborial luxury.

11. Eagleowl

Eagleowl Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hiya there! long time lurker and now I'm starting to dip my toes into the forum. OMRebel informed me of this trip. I'm from Rapides parish. I'm not sure if I can make this trip but I figured I'd post and see if the trip had a spot for a newbie

12. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    It just so happens that we do have a spot for you. I'll put you on the list and if you can make that will be great, if not then no worries. Let me know if you have any questions.

13. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    We are under two weeks and I still have tickets available! (just kidding, you don't need a ticket) If anyone would like to join us at Toledo Bend then you are more than welcome to. I will be out there from early Friday to about lunch time Sunday. Folks can come and go as they need to. Let me know if you have questions.

kronin323 likes this.
  14. Jeffro

Jeffro Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I got a question. Do you think it might rain? I don't know if I can camp under arid conditions.

15. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    This may be a challenge for you Soggy-bottom Boys, as it ain't looking too rainy on Memorial Day Weekend. I kind of prefer a bit a rain myself to keep it a bit cooler. Maybe the forecast will change...Maybe we can do a rain dance?

16. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ya'll need to come visit... been raining forever. 40s at night, 60s during the day, overcast/rainy... loving it. Into the 70s later this week, with lows around 60... SO nice to be outside in mid-May after 9am...

17. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    man, that sounds perfect! It's holding back a little here at mid to high 80's, but the heat is coming. This trip will likely be my last overnighter until fall...

Woodsman Wannabe likes this.
  18. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    It is perfect... I was just out for a walk out back... anorak (just exactly warm enough), light rain, twilight... perfect for just easing through the trees watching animals...

I seem to remember almost dying of heat exhaustion last time I went out there... seems like you talked me into doing a July trip... "it's on the water. how bad could it be?" lol. Good times though.

19. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Wimps.
    Rain, Shine, Heat, Cold.
    Embrace the Suck!
    ;)

20. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Me: wimpy, wimpy, wimpy...

Saustin1967: HEFTY, HEFTY, HEFTY!

Me: :oops:

21. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Rain and cold good. Shine and heat bad.

OMRebel likes this.
  22. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I tend to agree.... like the only time I met y'all, couple years ago at Kisatchie National Forest. Overnight was enough to make Mrs and I both sick (I let myself get dehydrated, and I think that was part of her problem as well). 'Course Caesar didn't want to leave cause there was bacon....

I like to tell people, when it is cold, you can always add another layer. When it is hot, you can only take off so much before you get arrested..... (I despise living in the sauna known as SE Texas) A cheap tarp or big trash bag generally solves the rain problem...

Unfortunately I will have to embrace the suck if I want to get out anymore this year. Summer is generally our down time (no body takes a power plant off line during the summer AC season...)

23. Jeffro

Jeffro Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Neches Bluff wasn't too bad was it? I guess it would have been a lot better if the rain had not have froze. Had some Cadweld shots that got a little damp the other day and a pinch of those magnesium shavings sure made them take off. Thank you, Woods.

24. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    A week from now we will be at the camp, who's getting excited!? If anyone still wants to jump in then we'll be happy to have you, just say the word.

Drink water.

Let me know if ya'll have any questions.

25. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Drink Water, Change your socks!

26. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I so wish I could be there, it’s always a blast out there! Hope y’all take some pictures.

I always thought it was a great idea to sleep while floating in the lake....pull your pfd up high so your head is cradled above water, crocs on your feet will keep your legs stretched out and then just tie off to the bank. Of course @Nonc-Tobe git me worried that the turtles would probably start trying to eat you :11::D Course I always camped with my little usb powered fan which works wonders for sleeping well

27. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    And don’t throw them in the fire when cooking :D

28. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I finally picked me one up sometime last year, very nice!

29. Nonc-Tobe

Nonc-Tobe I call it a black pot

Blog Posts:
    I’m still planning on making it if nothing changes.

30. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Neches Bluff wasn't bad at all, though I wish I had had a warmer coat. It was colder around the fire than in my sleeping bag for sure. May take the family up that way next month if I get a chance.
    Plenty more of those shavings when y'all need 'em. Just have to figure out the logistics....

OMRebel and saustin1967 like this.
  31. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Have not been out there myself, but I am pretty sure Neches Bluff got erased by the tornado that went through there on April 13th

32. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Alrighty, we are just a few days away! I will be heading out on Thursday if the stars line up just right. As of now, I am tracking two folks hiking in. Let me know when you will expect to arrive and I will meet ya'll at the SP. Once I get out there I won't have any comms until I hike back up to the SP. I am tracking the following folks attending:

OMRebel
    @Kyle/01
    @saustin1967 w/ son and DIL
    @MidSouthOutdoors
    @Jeffro
    @Nonc-Tobe

These are just folks that have said they are coming. If anyone would like to come out then we would welcome you :dblthumb:

33. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    No Son or DIL
    Jeffro is riding with me, we are going to attempt to leave my place no later than noon. If I remember correctly is about a 2 hour drive. w should be there around 2. Jeff's going to help me paddle so, look for us on site around 2:30 - 3:00

Seeker, Woodsman Wannabe and OMRebel like this.
  34. Nonc-Tobe

Blog Posts:
    It’s closer to 2 1/2 for me. I will leave home early Saturday morning and hopefully be there before 9. I gotta work Friday... whole other story. Anyway I’ll see y’all there

Seeker, Woodsman Wannabe and OMRebel like this.
  35. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dallas plans fell through, I've been given a green light for a night on the point! I'd like to try for Friday, but it may be Saturday depending on how work goes Friday afternoon. I'll be a hiker. And I have just a few dozen eggs if we need some.... ;)

36. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Awesome, we'll see you Saturday!

Nonc-Tobe and Woodsman Wannabe like this.
  37. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    bummer....

OMRebel likes this.
  38. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Amen.

Forestree, Nonc-Tobe and OMRebel like this.
  39. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hope everybody has a great trip.

Nonc-Tobe and OMRebel like this.
  40. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! We'll take plenty of pictures to get you primed up for the next go around :4:

41. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I could not be an ultra light camper to save my life....Oh well, I got everything gathered up and ready to throw in the truck. Me and @Kyle/01 will be head out tomorrow morning.

42. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    That is not true... you do walk sometimes... see? your pack is smaller than mine (of course, it weighed what? 45lbs? LOL)

IMAG1913.jpg

Ran across this the other day... good times.
    IMAG0772.jpg

43. Nonc-Tobe

Blog Posts:
    Sure was... hope all is well up there. Wish you could make it, the weather will be just how you like it. Hot hot hot

44. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Friend of mine says Atlanta was in the high 90s today... hotter where you are. About 72 here today, 10mph wind blowing from the NW... dry air, blue sky, a few clouds... I think I'll stay here...

OMRebel likes this.
  45. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Gentlemen! Coon Point is a great relaxing spot, surrounded by the lake on three sides. It was hot, but we still cooked with fire.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nonc-Tobe and Seeker like this.
  46. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    It doesn't help when the bag weighs ten pounds by itself. I'll buy lighter gear eventually, then there'll be no stopping, lol!

Seeker likes this.
  47. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, I had a great time with ya'll this weekend. I started a trip report, please feel free to share your pictures or any other thoughts about the trip. Looking forward to seeing you all again down the road!

48. Jeffro

Jeffro Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A truly fine weekend. I believe that next time I will bring out my flyrod, might even set out a few jug lines. I want to thank you brothers for an enjoyable weekend and I hope to do this again soon.