Mental preparedness

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Riverpirate, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    going through a very difficult time in my life right now. It has come to my attention that mental preparedness is more important than physical. The mind can play some deadly games.

2. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes, the mind can play many sorts of games.

I have had many restless nights as factors like my own anxiety and stress compound typical portions of daily life. Then, when life truly presents me a challenge I am often mentally unprepared for choices I have to make.

Not sure if any of that is helpful but I can certainly agree that our minds are often our worse enemies. We all have to try and stay aware of that. :)

3. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The mental part is the hardest, no matter how well you think you are prepared you never really are. Still offering prayers young fellar. joe

4. dirt7

dirt7 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It sure as hell can. Just don't be afraid to swallow your pride and reach out to people. There are more compassionate people out there than you would think. Good luck, and hang in there.

5. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Most things are 80% mental, 20% physical. The mind is what pushes the body to keep going and can make or break a situation. Even if a person isn't physically in the best of condition a strong mind can persevere and overcome so much!

The same person who gave me the above advice (A sgt I worked with in the Army) also told me that life is only 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you handle whats thrown at you! No matter the situation you CAN make it through with the right mind state. That guy really liked percentage ratios but I always found the advice to be solid.

Forgot to mention, every time I see your profile pic I think "wow that guy is one hell of a fisherman!" That bass is the stuff of dreams on a fly rod :dblthumb:

6. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Very true. I’ve never liked my brain, always wished for a better one.

Seriously, just getting through life is largely mental. The mind can be a powerful thing, your best friend or your worst foe. I hope the darkness in your life gets brighter soon. We’re here if you need us.

JohnP

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  7. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker Traveller Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You said it.
    The mental part is the hardest part.

8. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I went thru a bad bout of depression a few years back. The worst mistake i made was pushing away those that cared about me. A combo of feeling unworthy and mancheesemo. Being around and sharing experiences with others. Is very much part of mental preparedness. This trip is not as bad, when you do it with others. Be well my friend!
    Cheers Jim

9. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Our minds are also our best friends and help us get through the curve balls that life throws at us. So much of what we worry about never happens, and if it does, the worrying didn't make it any better.

Life goes on. It goes on with us and it goes on without us. Worrying about something doesn't help. Planning does. Action does.

A bad storm coming your way? What helps the most, worrying about how bad it could be and what problems it could cause? Or being ready for how bad it could be and the problems it could cause?

Life throws stuff at us all the time. Unexpected. Good and bad. That's unavoidable.

But when you know something bad is coming, no matter how it makes you feel, you have time to plan. Time for action. No matter how hard it is, how bad it makes you feel, you have to suck it up and be strong. There is no other way.

When my mom passed away it gutted me. Even though she wasn't in good health, I was taken by surprise. She was living with my sister. I called at lunchtime to talk with Mom and my sister said she was gone. I asked where did she go? And that's when it hit me. And brother, it hit me hard.

When my dad passed away, we all knew it was coming, as did he. I was there with him when he left. And plans were in place. I had talked to the attorney about the will a few weeks prior, so I knew what had to be done. It was not a good time by any means, but knowing what needed to be done and doing it actually made it less bad. I took care of business when it needed to be done. When that was done, I went out to our woods and I cried my eyes out, because there is a time for that too.

I used to think men don't cry. BS. You aren't a man until you CAN cry!

My long winded way of saying, if a metaphorical storm is heading your way, batten down the hatches and make ready. Get some plans in place and know that life goes on and the sun will come out after the storm passes.

10. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My dear old Irish mother had a saying, "it's a great life if you don't weaken."

No matter how you "think" things will be and how well you are prepared for those big bumps in the road of life... you will have a unplanned experience that can shake you to the core.

Roll with the punches and "don't weaken."

11. Bryan King

Bryan King Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Your right on the mental preparedness. I used to teach officer survival. Being mentally prepared is one of the most important things in a fire fight or dealing with what your going through . My prayers are with you and your family. Anything I can do to help please let me know. We're all with you brother.

12. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It is good to see you post. God bless

13. MTplainsman

MTplainsman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    HUGE relief to see you sticking with us!!! I'm loving the words posted by gohammergo... That's some good wisdom as far as I'm concerned. God bless you, your wife, and family!

Beach Hiker and gohammergo like this.