1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Mercator "Cat Knife" Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Avair, May 26, 2011.

1. Avair

Avair Scout

Blog Posts:
    Saw some talk of this knife in another thread, Irony being what it is I just picked one up a few days ago. Ebay is a great thing. I made a short video. I am no knife reviewer but I thought I would give you all a look at this knife. I really like it, Carbon steel, sprear point, SOLID lock, great knife.

YouTube - ‪Mercator carbon steel folding knife review‬‏

sorry about the box thing again i forgot to turn the ipod sideways again....lol

if you want one this is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/MERCATOR-K55K-B...813?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item35b248bfbd

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. goosefacer

goosefacer Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have one of these too. Great little blade but the handle is too thin IMO - I'll stick with my Buck 342 for EDC.

3. Wizard9

Wizard9 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Owned one of these about 15 years ago. Bought it from Atlanta Cutlery. Lost it and have yet to replace it. A pretty good performer for a small amount of money. Come to think of it, I sure miss that knife!

4. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Scout

Blog Posts:
    The mercator is one of my favorites. I had one many years ago but it was a stainless steel blade and I could not put a decent edge. The carbon steel one easily takes a razor's edge. I carry mine quite a bit and it disappears in the back pocket. Thanks for the review. This knife deserves some positive press.

5. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have no idea how it "SHOULD" be pronounced.

However, I have always heard the famous mapmaker Mercator pronounced

mur KAY tur

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  6. Taliesin

Taliesin Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice knife, but I'm not sure I would like the thinness of it. Looks like it would hurt your hand to do some serious work with it. I bought two carbon steel folding knives when I was looking for a folder. A lock blade wasn't high on my list though. I ended up with a Svord Peasant and a Kissing Crane Brown Mule (Sodbuster style). The Svord is my EDC most of the time.

Another carbon steel folder that is a lockback is the the Bear and Son Farmhand.
    http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerc...kback+with+Yellow+Delrin®+Handle/BRC337L.html
    Not a bad price either! Bear and Son makes a whole series of different style pocket knives in carbon steel. You might want to check them out.

7. redmech

redmech Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I just seen one of these knives for the first time last night. Gonna pick one of these up, really a cool blade.

8. borumas

borumas Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    They are great knives, my dad has used one as his main carry for about 45 years, got him a stainless steel version a few years ago and got a carbon one for myself awhile back. Always like how flat they are, sit in a pocket nicely without digging into your leg in my opinion.

9. jge3

jge3 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My favorite carry knife for a long time. I have trouble keeping it from rusting in hot weather. I picked up a SOG Slim Jim the other day with high hopes. It's a poor copy of the cat knife that's been produced since 1867

10. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    Worked doing renovations in a bar back around 85-86.

Cops raided the place one night. The local gentry started ditching things under booths and tables. Baggies of weed, pills, and a most interesting assortment of knives.

I came in a few hours later. The dope was pitched, the knives went home with us, and we both took home 3-4. Got a Mercator Cat knife and a good G-96 copy of a Puma Game Warden.

The Mercator was the best knife ever for tucking in a back pocket in with a wallet. Took a fine edge, and easily. Lost it a few years ago.

11. MarcoMontana

MarcoMontana Scout

Blog Posts:
    I want one of these...

12. redmech

redmech Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For who is reading this thread. I've been carrying one for about 2 weeks now. It is for sure a darn cool knife, has a great feel to it. If anyone is on the fence about getting one, and you think you'll like it, you probably will.

13. 268bull

268bull Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The Mercator K-55 ( cat knife ) was standard issue to the common German conscript soldier during WW2. Their intrduction, for the most part, to the U.S., were from GI's returning from the war. I own a K-55 and a shorter version of the knife ( 4 inches folded ). The blade has some of the finest carbon steel you will find. Germany was known for it's " soft " steel compared to the American market. While it's true, the handle is obviously thin, the design spot on, and overall inexpensive to manufacture. I love mine, as it takes a wonderful edge and locks open, strong. In fact, I believe I'll put the 4 inch model in my elk pack this year!

14. mneedham

mneedham Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had one of these when I was a kid, I wore the the paint off that thing I it carried so long. I'm not sure whatever happened to it, but they are fine blades IMHO....

15. 268bull

268bull Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The smaller version ( 4 inches closed ), I purchased at an estate sale. It had originally come from a net maker on the British Columbian coastal area. The spear point blade matches up well ! Bull