Merrell Moab vs Yokota Trail

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by BradGad, Oct 22, 2018.

1. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So... I've been an old-school leather boots and hickory walking stick kinda guy since forever.

I'd always been skeptical of trekking poles, but when I realized that besides just help hiking, I have at least three additional uses for them, I decided to give them a try (multi-function items all the way!). Man, what a difference! Totally sold on trekking poles.

So, since I was on the slippery slope, I decided to think about hiking shoes or trail runners instead of my leather boots.

I found the Merrell Yokota Trail Ventilators at a local store, and they look like they should be really good.

43451322-347F-4762-9FCC-204382BEAC56.jpeg

Thing is though, I like to do my research and the situation on the web with these shoes is kind of weird. Merrell doesn't even list them on their web site, but they're sold at a lot of stores... none of them outfitters though... all regular shoe stores. The Merrell site has about 19 different models of the Moab listed, some of them looking very close to the Yokota Trail, but no Yokotas. There are no technical reviews of the Yokota Trail, only customer reviews at regular shoe outlets. There are a bazillion reviews of the Moab. There are no comparisons of the Yokota and Moab.

I usually wear a 10, but they seemed a bit snug and the store didn't have a 10 1/2. They ordered the 10 1/2 to be shipped to me, returnable or exchangeable. Should arrive tomorrow. So I've kinda bought them but am not totally committed.

Does anyone have any experience with the Merrell Yokota Trail? If so, how have they been and how do they compare to the Moab, which seems to be a very popular and well regarded hiking/backpacking shoe? I'd like to have as much info as possible before deciding whether to keep the shoes that should be coming in the mail tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    backlasher, Lichen and Bobsdock like this.
  2. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had good luck with the merrel boots. Including two pair of moabs. But I've never even see a pair of yokotas.
    As you already mentioned merrel boots run on the small side.

BradGad and Lichen like this.
  3. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Merrell's used to be a cheap boot but have greatly improved. I had a pair of Moabs and they were great and lasted a long time. When they come on sale again, I will buy another pair.

BradGad likes this.
  4. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    Well, maybe you should check out these Yokotas... they’re hard to tell apart from the Moabs. ;)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Lichen likes this.
  5. ouroboros

ouroboros Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, I went the other way. I started out wearing modern hiking boots/shoes and had a pair of Merrel Moabs (no experience with the Yokotas.) The Moabs are comfortable and all of that, and fairly breathable, so no complaints at all there, but they did wear out fairly quickly for me... although, I also wore them at work, and I work outdoors, on foot, on ladders and occasionally on roofs... so that may not be a fair statement.

My thing is this: a pair of Merrell Moabs doesn't do anything for me that a pair of good leather stitched boots won't do... but the difference is, the Merrells wore out faster and retained more odors... but... the old style leather boots cost 3x more and require more routine maintenance in order to retain their longevity and odor-free qualities... but have the ability to last much, much longer if cared for. Aftermarket insoles make them just as comfortable as anything else for me.

I suppose the point of my post is to say... the Merrell Moab is a fine boot/shoe (and one that I consider best used in warmer non-freezing weather) ... but I am happier wearing the following boots in the warmer months:

Gokey Sauvage Hiker
    Red Wing Iron Ranger
    Alico Summit Light (if hiking longer distances carrying a pack/weight)

I also do not mean for this to come off as a discouraging post. As far as modern boots go, I really think the Moab was one of the best I've tried, so, maybe the Yokota is a good choice as well.

6. moab

moab Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've owned 4 pair of Moab's. And still have 3 currently. The first pair I wore for years. And loved them. They did wear out in the sole. But literally after years of daily use. Mainly in the wet and dirty PNW. I bought the last two pair really just because I love the style and fit. And I didn't want them to go out of production. Before my last pair wore out. (That always happens to me. Or I'm just old. I find something I like and then they stop making it.)

I also own any number of leather boots. Full on, full size, Danners that lace up to over half way to my knee. They are solid boots. That would probably last decades. And they are vibram so I can have the soles redone if necessary. I've never done that though. Just heard about it. I don't know how feasible that is today.

Both really are for different uses. I mainly walk, hike and hunt. I guess if I were on a long term bug out like an INCH. Or had a daily hard job outside or on the blacktop. I could see taking the Danners. Cause I have no choice but to choose the thing that is going to last the longest. But for my real life? And at this later stage of my life? Moab's go on comfortable. Wear out comfortable. And do everything I want them too in a lightweight but solid supporting shoe. In a length of time that I think far exceeds any realistic expectation of today's normal shoes.

I say go for the Moabs. There the ones your gonna wear anyway. Real boots are to heavy except for work. I've never heard of the Yokotas. But if there anything like the moab's I'd say they're probably good boots too. But because so many more of us have used Moab's and written reviews about them. I'd go the safe route and buy the moab's. At least you know those are good. Then maybe later get a pair of Yokotas to try out. Have you even had the chance to try them on?

Now I could make your life really complicated. Go to https://www.outdoorgearlab.com This is a gear review site like no other. It takes products and puts them in the hands of world renowned trekkers and backpackers. Like several different guys. They'll hand out the same product too. To try out in the field. And all of their reviews are real. Whenever you want to buy anything outdoor related. Go find the reviews on this site. But don't look at hiking boots. ;) It will drive you out of your mind all the great other options out there. LOL! I'm kidding of course. But do take a look at them. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/shoes-and-boots/best-hiking-boots And check out specifically the Keen Targhee II Mid. It's a competitor to the Moab in the same price range roughly. The price won't kill ya. But it's around $120. But I think there was last years model or the model prior might be still available. As they are a famous shoe for people that walk the AT. They're made out of leather and have a large toe box. To protect your feet. They are super comfortable like the moab. And probably wear just the same if not longer. Anyway folks on the AT trail swear by these boots. And alot of other places too. But that's how I heard about them. I think they were the most popular boot on the AT for many years running. But moabs are too. Just maybe a tiny step down in quality. The Keens are awesome boots too. You might check those out.

Sorry for complicating your quest for a new hiking boot. ;)

BradGad likes this.
  7. Oldguy59

Oldguy59 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I own 3 pair of Moab’s and they are great for walking and light day hikes . I wore a pair on an weekend hike into the goat rocks and my feet were sore. The sole seemed a little on the thin side. I’ll be buying Moab’s again but for hiking I’ll be looking for something with a little more support. Not carrying a heavy load, my pack for 3 days is 28 lbs.
    My current pair, as the last 2 pairs, have held up very well.

BradGad likes this.
  8. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Really like the comfort of the Moabs, but I've personally had durability issues with more recent pairs. My last pair had kittens on an 11 mile day hike in the Needles district of Canyonlands NP (middle of the road hiking for me). I wore Salomons for a couple years, great durability, but they didn't play well with my feet so I'm now using Altra trail runners (Lone Peak) and am pretty happy with them for hiking/backpacking. I have always preferred a lighter hiking shoe, my backpacking pack weights are usually around 35lbs, maybe a bit less now that I've lightened stuff up and tend to do trips of 5 days or less instead of a full 7 days.

For winter months and hunting use, I'm using Merrell Phasers (I think). They have actually held up extremely well, in contrary to my experience with Moabs. They're a lot heavier shoe, though. Backpacked with them a couple times, but they're just too heavy unless conditions are really snowy/wet/muddy.

9. Mookietherooster

Mookietherooster Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have had a few pairs of Merrell hiking shoes, and they never seen to last very long. I have to go up one full size as well. I have since been using Salomon X Ultra and love them. I also have two pairs of Asolo Falcon Gv hikers, and they are the best I've owned.

BradGad likes this.
  10. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the input guys.

Turns out the current Merrells just don't fit me. :( The 10 is too short. With the 10 1/2 the length is right but the arch is positioned too far back.

I tried on Keens, I tried on Oboz... pretty good, but the magic wasn't there, and I actually had the same length/arch problem with the Oboz.

I settled on the Altra Lone Peak 4. Again the store had 10s and no 10 1/2s, so I had to order them. They came yesterday and I think they are going to be *perfect*. They're a zero drop shoe. I've been wearing nothing but Birkenstocks and hiking boots for the past four years, so the zero drop feels very right and natural to me. Super light and comfy but a very substantial sole. Should get to try them out for real this weekend.

Thanks again!

rocketbomb likes this.
  11. Marc-Alexander Nagel

Marc-Alexander Nagel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I´m pretty new to MOABs myself, so far, nothing bad to say after a year of use. Except for one thing: I had to size a whole size up, what a bummer. Other than that, all good. I have the Ventilators, they are awesome!

If you can, get those!

Cheers mate!

12. wvtracker14

wvtracker14 Hardwoodsman #9 Supporter Hardwoodsman

Blog Posts:
    Merrell Moabs all the way!! Have had 2 pairs in the past 4 1/2 years and can't say anything bad about them.

13. Black Feather

Black Feather Hunter Gatherer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have a pair of the Merrell MOAB gore-tex shoes. They are comfortable, grippy, and have great support. However, I must say, I really don't like gore-tex shoes. My feet sweat like crazy in them and then they take forever to dry. I won't be buying another pair for that simple reason. I'd rather have breathable shoes that get wet and can dry (with neoprene socks, perhaps?) than have goretex that doesn't breathe. That's my only issue with them.

14. Soilman

Soilman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a pair of Yokota's that I use for day hikes. They do run a bit on the small size. I found a pair at a local store and tried them on for size before I bought them cheaper on line. So far, I like them ok. Very much like a running shoe, but more aggressive tread. I've never owned a pair of Moabs, so I can't give you a comparison.