Messed up smoked rabbit hide

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by Pentenshi, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Pentenshi

Pentenshi Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I recently brain smoked a rabbit hide, but didnt use salt and instead of a layer of fat he had thin layer if skin stuck to the hide that was difficult to remove without tearing holes. I didnt do as good as i would have liked to, but contined with the next step, washed it, pulled off what i could, soaked it in brains overnight. Rinsed it off, worked it until it was almost but not completely dry and smoked it for a few hours. It turned dark brown, felt really soft and workable until it dried completely. Now its rock hard. How can i reconstitute it without ruining it, and do i need to resmoke it?

Attached Files:

GreenFrog, pab1, x39 and 2 others like this.
  2. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have no answer to your question, but will welcome you to the forum.

Pentenshi and Bitterroot Native like this.
  3. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Guide

Blog Posts:
    Did you dry it at all before you washed it and soaked it in your brain solution? Drying it first makes it a lot easier to scrape that membrane off. How hard is the hide now? Is it just stiff and a bit hard to bend or does it not bend at all? You should be able to reconstitute it with no problems. If it's stiffer than you would like get some oil to work into the hide, neatsfoot oil works well and can be found at most stores but most any oil will do. You don't need a lot just work a little into the hide to soften it up a bit. Use a taught rope or the edge of a table or something and carefully work the hide over that to break up the fibers a little bit and make it more pliable. I wouldn't smoke it again, I think you smoked it a little too long in the first place. While smoking it could have also been too hot as rabbit is not very thick. Probably why it's stiffer than you would like.

Welcome to BCUSA!

4. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hello Pentenshi and Welcome from SW Tennessee! Where do you hail from?

Pentenshi and MrFixIt like this.
  5. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Hunter63 saying hey and Welcome.....
    Never had much luck with rabbits...like you said, very thin.

6. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    For the OP, and others. Interesting how and why to smoke a brain tanned hide. And if you get the chance to attend Puckerbrush 2017 is is cracking up to be Grand.

Pentenshi and x39 like this.
  7. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the site! I'm no help either since I've never tried working with rabbit hide. They tear so easily coming off a rabbit I've never wanted to try working with one. Good luck!

Pentenshi likes this.
  8. morganbw

morganbw Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you are still here?
    Most skills are not intuitive nor a first time success.
    Try again, and then again, you can master it but normally we cannot do that with our first attempts.

Pentenshi and Bad Little Falls like this.
  9. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
    This for sure, there will be folks there who are proficient in tanning everything from big game to squirrel hides. Definitely worth it for anyone in the northeast.

Pentenshi and Bad Little Falls like this.
  10. Pentenshi

Blog Posts:
    I didnt completely dry it, as ive done with a number of other hides. This is my second attempt at smoking with brain solution. First was a deer hide that i didnt dry enough before smoking but was still workable enough to make arrow quivers. Most of my hides are dried out, some with fur, some without but not smoked. I followed the acidify step to preserve most of them from the book 'Deerskins inti Buckskins'. As for thus rabbit hide, the night i smoked it, was so workable i thought it woild stay like that. I turned it inside out and hung it near our inside woodstove to finish drying off and it became too hard to do anything with overnight. I cant bend it ir turn it back inside out. This is honestly the hardest rabbit hide ive ever worked, but the first one i actually attempted to smoke. Can i spray it down with coconut or grape seed oil? Neatsoot oil is hard to get around here. We dont leave the mountain much. I dont know if that will help at this point though...

Fat Old Man likes this.
  11. Pentenshi

Blog Posts:
    Thank you all for welcoming me. Im from the catskills, ny. Im using one of those confusing new phones so its kind of hard to type. Dont have computer or tv or anything. Im sorry i even have this, aside from being able to find instant answers to problems that come up.

Fat Old Man and x39 like this.
  12. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ha! Yeah I heard that.

13. Bannertail

Bannertail Scout

Blog Posts:
    Welcome.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017