Metal Detecting

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by jaydog, Oct 30, 2018.

1. jaydog

jaydog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not really a bushcraft skill but can be useful to find neat stuff. Some things I have found this year in my woods. IMGA0298.JPG

2. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice source for basic blacksmithing material. Under all that rust is still usable metal. If you can find some older sites you may recover some real wrought iron. Wrought iron works much easier then mild steel.

3. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    More than I ever found right there.

4. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I seriously thought about picking up a nice detector about 9 years ago. I was in a prospecting supply store outside Gresham Or. playing around with the various demo detectors they had available, ACE minelab, and a few others, i remember the ACE250 because it was the cheapest priced one at the time.
    I dropped pennys, dimes nickles and even my gold wedding ring and ran the head over wach item to see how each was "Detected" or identified. I remember I wasn't impressed with the detector and how each thing seemed to be the same on the detectors screen.
    Then, i really thought about what would I expect to find in my neck of woods at home? A redwood forest, young by cultural standards, Santa Cruz is only 100+ years old as compared to back east colonies that date to 1600's or earlier. My area, not a lot happened here, some logging (Trees from this area built San Francisco ) some old Indian tribes, that's about it
    My area does not have such a rich history associated with it. So, not too hopeful about finding any old treasures stemmed my purchase of a metal detector. Now, after I retire, I do plan to get a one that has a good rep for decerning gold.

5. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I can see a nice knife hiding in that trap spring. joe

6. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Once while walking through an area that had recently been logged, I found a short length or real old chain, and some shards of pottery. I thought maybe I had stumbled onto an old logging camp. Awhile later I went back with the metal detector and made a pretty impressive find.

7. zerk

zerk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I realize most antique stuff probably has little value. I am not going to butcher it up. But I am a wuss I realize.

Plus seems poor use of time.

I have been wanting a metal detector. But just don't know which one is the one to buy. Other uses too. Where is the electric line to your garage.

J. Pierce and Jim L. like this.
  8. jaydog

jaydog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The land I live on was old farm land and back then there wasn't recycling centers or even garbage pick up, stuff was either burned or thrown into the woods if it couldn't be reused. I have spent years trying to clean up what I can partially so my dogs don't step on something. My biggest nemesis is glass and pieces of rusty metal and nails (I wish there was a glass detector). But I do find some neat things sometimes.

J. Pierce, RI Chevy and Jim L. like this.
  9. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    50+ years ago, I hiked back into some neat finds. A few just outside of San Diego there were a couple mine shafts up in the hills with several ole relics of mining equipment and hand tools. I looked them over but put them back exactly as
    I found them. There were similar sites in Arizona. Today, everything is gone and the area has probably been searched with metal detectors several times over.

Thinking back, I guess I should have taken the hand tools for keep sakes. When I hiked just outside the bad lands, I came across a lot of petrified wood. I asked the landowner if I could have some and he said I could have as much as I could carry. That is some heavy wood but I busted my butt and walked out with a few pieces that the war department has in her flower garden.

Up around Lake Superior, a fellow use to dive and he found several muskets over the years that were probably from the fur traders that caught a rouge wave and capsized. I saw the muskets - they were rusted pieces of junk in my opinion but I was probable 15 yoa at the time, so what did I know.

What impressive find was that gohammergo?

10. Oni

Oni Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 detectors and enjoy metal detecting. Haven’t been out in a while, but I find it fun and relaxing.

Finding something buried in the ground, that may have been there for quite awhile is kinda cool IMHO.

I have found some older coins, jewelry, some old toy cars and some old tools. Finding out what you dug up is fun too. Junk or something of value?

A pinpointer makes life a lot easier too!

11. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    All I found were a couple of old rusty nails. :) It was such a disappointment. I really had to work at it too, to get there. I have not spent a lot of time detecting, but have not found anything worthwhile yet.

12. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I borrowed a metal detector and found a gold wedding ring belonging to my father-in-law. He was in a bad way after discovering it was missing following working out in his wood pile. His wife had passed that spring and this was winter, I found the ring about 8" down a crack in ice that had been well covered over with chainsaw chips. The borrowed metal detector made quite quick work of it.
    I've always thought of getting a metal detector for myself.

13. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:
    Its a hobby I've always fancied trying

J. Pierce, Jim L. and RI Chevy like this.
  14. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Excellent hobby, IMG_5549.JPG my coin detector is always in the vehicle or canoe/sailboat with me. Pic on left is some of my non jewelry finds this summer a mix of old/new silver.

J. Pierce, LongAgoLEO and RI Chevy like this.
  15. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Haaaa, here I thought you came across something interesting - digging up the nails was probably an exciting dig until you came to the nails.:4:

I’ve hike ole overgrown logging trails that no vehicle has been on for at least 50 years and that was in the mid-70’s. Every now and then you could see narrow tire tracks in a mud caked section of the logging trail just as the dew was melting off that appeared to have just been made. That was always a source of wonderment for my pee brain and I would push on hoping to find some sort of treasure, not realizing the treasure was finding sign of a time long passed.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  16. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    My detector has been sitting undisturbed in the attic for about a year. First year I had it I paid for it in clad (modern) change finds. School yards, ball fields, soccer fields... anywhere people gather or gathered makes for places where stuff can be found. Unfortunately many or the school yards are now more concrete than grass/soil around my area.

J. Pierce, RI Chevy and badgerthehobo like this.
  17. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Save yer money boys!
    You can all just come over to my place.
    I've got a whole shop full of rusty, broken metal junk. No detector needed, I'll just point at it, and you can dig it out of the pile and load it up.
    It's a win win situation!

ozarkhunter and RI Chevy like this.
  18. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bought a Whites Eagle Spectrum around 2001. I was lucky living around a historical area. My coolest finds were a 1789 Half Pence in good condition, a brass butt plate from a Revolutionary War British Musket. I could not find the rest of the rifle. That was near Quakertown PA. where a mass burial site of British troops was rumored to be. I followed a map, nothing marked, but I found an unusual mound in the woods. Found a vintage gold/ silver broach from probably 1920s or 30's. Maybe 10-15 mercury head dimes. They have a sharp distinct sound when ya hit them. A lead toy figure of a policeman. Really old broad axe head in the yard of a house built by William Penn. I gave that to the people who let me detect there. I haven't used it in years. Im afraid the dead internal battery may have compromised its programing. The time looking for treasure with my kids was worth the $700 I paid for it.

J. Pierce and RI Chevy like this.