Metal detectors?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by tomme boy, Oct 4, 2018.

1. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    OK. I know someone here is a fan. I want to get a good cheap one. I am looking at the Minelab 60 and the Garret 200 or 250.

I like the 250 for the features and that you can change out the coils in the future. But I like the 60 because of the packability and price. The 60 is a discontinued model. And that is the reason for the cheaper price. Plus I think I can get it even cheaper as I get a really good discount at a friends sporting goods store that carries Minelab. Not sure if he can get Garret. If he can than I am sure the discount will be the same. A lot less than the advertised price.

THRsucks, JohnP, Medic17 and 2 others like this.
  2. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Years ago while I was working /living in Oregon, I had in my hand on a Garrett ACE250. found it in a prospecting /mining shop. I played with that demo detector for a good while, and was almost ready to drop some coin for it. That little voice in my hollow cavern echoed "Do I really need this?" That started me thinking about my decision to get the darn thing. Cons for me not to get it include, I was not going to find any Colonial era coins, wasn't going to find any civil war items, (The west coast simply is not old enough to hold such treasures for me to find) I wasn't thinking about gold then, and the 250 was not considered a good gold machine then anyway) If our west coast had a similar history as say the 13 colonies on the east coast, then I might have reconsidered getting the Ace250. if /when I do get a detector, it'll be one that can discern gold either nuggets or flakes. (Won't be cheap either)
    Now Santa Cruz CA. does have some beaches, and I'm sure lots of jewelry (Rings, necklaces, chains etc) have been dug up, but I don't want to be "That guy" on the beach detecting.

3. CalicoSalsa

CalicoSalsa Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My neighbor does metal detecting here on Maui, both spec searching and when called out because someone lost a ring or other valuables. Dave can search underwater, and he's got an awesome record of successful finds. He has good gear he uses, and also has had extra gear for people who want to try it out while they are visiting. Hunt him up as Daves Metal Detecting, I'm betting he'd be happy to answer questions you might have, if you reach him via one of the social media sites on which he participates.

THRsucks, JohnP and central joe like this.
  4. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought a used metal detector years ago. I was going to use it to find brass cases, but I ended up building a net to catch them.
    Yesterday I dug it out. I was going to use it to look for a crossbow bolt I had lost in the grass. I looked up the instructions online and after reading over them several times on how to adjust the half dozen knobs on it I asked myself if I really wanted to stick three nine volt batteries in it. I didn't. There was so little metal on that bolt I figured it would be a waste of time.
    Too bad you weren't closer. I'd give it to you. I'm sure the newer ones are better though.

JohnP and central joe like this.
  5. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought a Minelab Sovereign back in 2000 or so, good metal detector, talk about rabbit holes that can be expensive... The metal detector hobby can get crazy expensive.

JohnP and central joe like this.
  6. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Be careful about how cheap you go, generally cheaper means very little discrimination circuitry and you will spend most of your time digging up pull tabs, bottle caps, nails etc.. I've been coin/jewelry detecting since 1972 (paid for my first detector with a find the first day I used it) and if you don't get one with decent discrimination I guarantee you will tire of the hobby quickly and will put your machine up for sale like so many other used ones you see out there.

Jason in ID, JohnP and central joe like this.
  7. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    May I suggest the Tesoro brand for a inexpensive model. Also you should think about what you want to find and where. Play grounds are good for coins and pop tops, or are you going for old homesites? Discrimination is key to success, the more the better. joe

Turtle Creek and JohnP like this.
  8. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I won a Bounty Hunter, don’t remember which model, several years ago. I was not impressed with it. I agree with what others have already said. Discrimination is very important or it becomes a wall hanger.

JohnP

central joe likes this.
  9. juliuslim

juliuslim Scout

Blog Posts:
    i have one GP pointer

central joe likes this.
  10. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    As a teen I used various whites metal detectors. As an adult I currently don't have time to take up treasure hunting. I would recommend staying in the $200-300 for a balance of price and quality. Maybe a White's coin master or Fisher in the same price range. I just looked up the Minelab and didn't know that they had detectors in that price range. Good luck with your search.

Edit somehow I had half a sentence missing. My brain must have got in front of my fingers while typing.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    central joe likes this.
  11. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Yes stay away from bounty hunter if you want to get serious with this.

central joe likes this.
  12. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I once found a KC Royals, like a class ring, ring about 3-4" under an old fashioned pop top at a public park. Also remember that gold rings register as trash and white gold will register like pop tabs.

central joe likes this.
  13. Frank1960

Frank1960 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I started out with a Garrett Ace 250 and now have the Garrett AT Max also owned the AT Pro for a little while before the Max. The Ace 250 is a good first time detector

14. captjim_nm

captjim_nm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Garret and a White Pulse detector. If you are going to search saltwater beaches you have to have a pulse unit. If money is a problem it is better to buy a more basic model from a good company than a unit from a no-name company. Who are you going to get to work on it? A Whites, Garret or Fisher can be repaired. I have changed jobs twice but now I am thinking of getting my detectors out. Retirement is just 20 months away!

15. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Retirement? You think you're going to have more free time, then you do now???? Silly man.

16. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    093C139A-828E-47FC-8EFD-85C1C790299E.jpeg 9DABFD3C-475C-4630-8744-8124AD7A6291.jpeg 646178CC-A41F-46B4-B14D-DCCABAFCF1A2.jpeg D1C24A12-9DF2-4582-BCBD-D137094BEE13.jpeg I am sure I metal detect more than anyone here.

Your soil will dictate which detector is best. Mineralization equals no cheap detector.

Technology has increased so much in the last few years, guys are going back to places they though they had cleaned out to find much more deeper items the last technology had missed.

Cheap detector means less finds. No use in arguing with me on this. I was a dealer and currently hunt 3-5 a week.

I started with a Tesoro Bandito, DeLeon, Vaquero and went to Minelab sovereign Elite, then to Troy X5, Fisher F75 and Nokta Impact. Used the Garrett AT Pro for water as well as a CZ20 and Minelab Excalibur.

All of that to say I know detectors. If you intend to park hunt for clad coins your plan would work.

I use a Minelab Equinox 800 because I hunt water as well as land. One detector to do both.

If you strictly hunt private property that hasn’t been previously detected, a lower end machine will suffice for awhile.

Some of my finds this summer. The copper is old copper culture and dates back 6000 years. Most were 8-10” deep.

The silver was 12” deep and just a squeak.

17. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Some of the places are going to be parks. But I have access to many old farms that have never been searched. Many of these farms are sod buster farms here in Iowa. A few are on islands on the Mississippi river. Most are along the Maquoketa river here in Iowa. Some of the homes are still standing. Others are just limestone foundations. Others are just shallow depressions or rock walls.

I already have access to these places from being able to hunt them and through family and friends. And others by how private and public property works here in Iowa with the flood water levels for access.

I know of 4 ferry crossings on one river. And 2 shallow regular crossings. One was a major stage coach crossing with a pony express type mail route turn around and Salon/motel (dancing girl) type house! This is the one I really want to search. It is all gone. It is a field now. I don't think anyone has searched it. But it is known about what it was around the whole community.

TrespassersWilliam likes this.
  18. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    Keep in mind when checking around old homesteads the most productive areas are along pathway from road to front door, under old trees on front lawn. Whendoing river work consider max flood heights from colonial times, in my area(Kennebec river in Maine) ferry crossing keepers house, trading/suttler post were money was actually exchanged were built far back and above expected high flood levels. These location can be found on old town maps or in their historical societies, I often find old Spanish, French and English silver coins at such places.

TrespassersWilliam likes this.
  19. wisconsinwalter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you have a good plan which is a big part of the hobby.

I never recommend a “cheap” detector because the hobby is one of the few that actually makes you money!

A good mechanic has good tools not the cheapest minimal ones.

Since you are in Iowa, your soil should be fairly good. In the upper Midwest, we deal with hot rocks and mineralized soil.

A cheap detector will be a singular frequency usually around 14 kHz. Good all around frequency but it lacks some muscle. The processor is usually slow which means target separation will difficult.

We do good because many, many targets are next to a ferrous target and the low end machines can’t separate the ferrous out as it will be the dominant signal.

Technology has improved to the point that you can now use multi frequency. My machine, the Equinox 800 has 5 five frequency’s that all work at the same time. 5,10,15,20 and 40. Each has a non ferrous zone or group it works best with. Together you get the best coverage of all frequency possible sub $900.

$900?????? You might say no way! Remember I said that metal detecting pays you back?

I have found more than 100 gold rings. Many with diamonds. My best is a 1.75 carat diamond ring. After I turned it in and getting it back in 30 days, it appraised for $13500. I was offered $3000 at a pawn shop.

I gave it to my wife because I never could afford one she deserved.

The native copper and fur trade I find is very valuable if sold.

1877 Indian head in good shape is a couple hundred, a 1909 S VDB is a couple hundred.

Silver is 12 times face usually and most good condition silver is worth much more.

Your plan is sound and I would recommend a Equinox 600 or a Garrett AT Pro. Both are going to set you back around $600.

If you are bent on low end machines, I would recommend the Teknetics Delta 4000 or the Fisher F44. I always recommend one with ground balance capabilities.

If you have metal detecting club near by, you should definitely attend a meeting to get an idea.

My club has the cheap or old detector group and they are the ones that find the least.

Good luck and remember to get a good pin pointer. The Chinese GP pointer is not good.

I use the Garrett AT Pro pointer.

There are plenty of YouTube videos out there on all machines.

20. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    If you go on Caribbean cruises now and then take along your detector, you will notice that there's always a dozen or so other passengers going ashore with theirs' to hit the beaches for coins/jewelry instead of the tourist shopping traps and don't be surprised if your findings pay most or all of the cruise itself, that's why we bring them.

21. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    I bought a Whites DFX about 17 yrs ago with visions of treasure piling up in the garage. After about a year of digging up junk and pennies. I lost interest.

Two years ago my brother called in a huge panic asking for advice. His new fiancé has lost her engagement ring while they were walking on the beach. I told him it’d be three days before I could get there, but I wouldn’t leave until I’d worked the entire beach.

I bought headlamps, food and water, and planned to stay for 12hrs. Long story shortened, it took two full hours but I found the ring. After high fives and hugs I announced that I was to never again take any grief for my random hobbies and interests. :D

This summer I went out a few times with my 7yr old son and found RR spikes and a couple bucks in change. He’s been waiting Expedition Unknown so I thought a metal detector safari would be right up his alley. It was!

I know my DFX is a great detector, and I’m not getting it’s full potential from the preset programs. I need to take the time to experiment with it and learn it’s hidden powers.

22. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here are some of the things I found just around town. I have not had a chance to get out to any of the farms yet.

The one ring by itself is 12K gold and is ore important than all the others. It has 3 stones in it. One for my birthday. One for my brothers. And one for my mothers. She lost this 5 years ago and never told me or my brother. We got this about 15 years ago for her for her birthday. She had lost a huge amount of weight and it fell off her finger. She did not know where she lost it. She was so mad that she never told us. Well I was showing her my new metal detector and I found about 2$ in change in her front yard. She went in to make lunch. I got a solid 60-61 signal at 2" I was thinking dang aluminum. Then I thought, it was not jumping! I better dig this. HOLY COW GOLD!!!!

Well I go running in the house to show my other what I found in her yard! She says "OH you found my ring?" Then tells me what happened. I am so glad that it turned out to be her ring.

All the other stuff not to sure about. Nothing else is marked. Tons more of pennies. No silver yet. Oldest wheaty is a 1918.

The second pic down the key is a roller skate key. The third pic was a bunch of buttons. There were 3 metal buttons that sounded off. There are two really small white buttons in the pic. These two are clam shell buttons. There was a factory that made them less than 2 blocks away from where I found these. I also found a small marble with one of the wheat pennies but I do not have a pic of that. 20181029_133435.jpg 20181106_192116.jpg 45674681_328976577656053_2121479399139180544_n.jpg 20181108_170956.jpg

Jason in ID and Seacapt. like this.
  23. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:

Nice haul, old farms are one of my favorite spots. If any of the fields have a lone or small copse of trees in the middle check it out as this was a common resting place for lunch and resting during the hot haying season. Also the base of large old tress on the front lawn as these were play/ picnic areas before front porches were added and check under old clothes line locations which were usually at the the back door to a tree or outbuilding so check at each for old hook locations. Be sure to check out near entrance area of old cemeteries where horse and buggies/later cars were parked as the men folk would often whip out their hankerchiefs for the weeping women that often brought out coins. pocket knives, and if your real lucky a rusted out pocket watch inside the nice gold case.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  24. wisconsinwalter

Blog Posts:
    What did you buy?

25. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Teknetics Minuteman. It is the exact same detector as the Eurotek pro they make, but labeled for the US market. It has a VDI indicator. 7.81Khz Built in pinpointer. Not the best but not the worst to find out if I want to stay with this.

wisconsinwalter likes this.
  26. wisconsinwalter

Blog Posts:
    Nice choice. I had a eurotek Pro a few years ago. Good machine to learn with! Good luck

I am doing Deer camp next week with the VP of sales at first Texas. The internet sales of the Teknetics is ok. It cuts a dealer right out if they dont give you a code