Metal detectors?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by tomme boy, Oct 4, 2018.

1. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thought I found another good one today till I got it home and cleaned it up. But still kinda cool fake ring. Plus another $1.67 to add to the pot. Same park!

20181223_162554.jpg

Oni, Turtle Creek and JasonJ like this.
  2. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You using the Equinox 800 per #46 post? Everything I’ve read on both the 600 and 800 models say it’s probably the best on the market today.

3. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    No not yet. I will hopefully have the 600 next week. Right now I am using the Teknetics Minuteman. For the price it is not bad. Once you get used to the tones and the #'s you can pick out almost every time exactly what you are detecting. "USUALLY" Coin wise anyway. That ring above should have been a Zinc penny.

I know once I get the new Equinox there is going to be a learning curve. The way they read is completely different than how mine works.

Turtle Creek, JasonJ and ozarkhunter like this.
  4. JasonJ

JasonJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I concur.. keep this going with info on detectors, our new tools and hardware as well as our finds! Some fantastic info in here already!

5. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well I got the Nox 600. I ordered a set of Wireless headphones so I do not have to worry about a cord. These detectors use wifi. They also take a special type of headphones or earbuds to work right. they are a "LOW LATENCY" type. It reduces the signal lapse down to 30-42mSec range so there is hardly no lag while you are swinging the detector.

These are the exact wireless headphones that come with the EX800 or the same ones that you can buy from Minelab. But WAY cheaper. They just do not have the Minelab sticker. They paired with the detector instantly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GGKNYOQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Went out today. Most of the ground here was hard but some was still soft enough to dig. Still found $2.47 in clad. Not too bad for the first time taking it out. Still have to figure out the notching part. The park I went to had a lot of old coal clunkers or something and it was driving me nuts!

6. LazyPK

LazyPK Guide

Blog Posts:
    That rosary looks like kunzite, possibly lapis lazuli. Could you post some more oics?

JasonJ likes this.
  7. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wish I could post some more pics of it. But, I can not. I gave it to a close friend that is Catholic.

But I did find this today. A prayer token. I still have to clean it up. I stopped at my friends shop where I got the metal detector at to show him the token and I took the pics on his counter. You can see the fishing reels he sells under it. LOL!

20190108_151511.jpg 20190108_151419.jpg

juliuslim, Oni and JasonJ like this.
  8. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Wonderful find! Still searching that lot next to the church, I take it?

9. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My son got a bit of practice in Iraq.

I helped a friend here in Richmond move house. He'd been metal detecting for years. He had hundreds of pounds of musket balls, cannon and grape shot, rifles and whatnot. Some stuff was much earlier than the Civil War. Naturally it all had to be carried down from the second floor. :17:

Years ago in northern VA, a family friend lost a nice ring. She knew some military, so they got a crew out with detectors. They were getting set up when one soldier spotted the ring just laying on the ground.

[​IMG]

JasonJ, tomme boy and Oni like this.
  10. Oni

Oni Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank your Son for serving our Country.

Hope he finishes his tour soon and returns to CONUS.

JasonJ likes this.
  11. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    After my retire, and relocating to Tennessee, I wanted to do detecting, but found that most of the land in my area is national forest and illegal to use one. I read through the state rules and regs, but find I would probably need an attorney to sort it all out

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  12. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    No. I was at a small park along the Mississippi River that has a trail that leads back into some small wood lots. Lots of people travel this to go fishing. Figured I try to see if anyone dropped anything.

BBizy and JasonJ like this.
  13. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    So I picked up a BH Tracker IV and a Harbor freight pinpointer this past week. I know, budget priced and entry level...

Spent an hour in my own backyard this afternoon; within 30 seconds I find a 1994 penny. Ok, only 6,994 more to pay for the detector. Lol.

Next target was strong in spots but broken in others, but was large. Dug down 6", still in there..10"... Almost there. Started getting pieces of aluminum foil coming up.. Then I found a good sized bone then another. And another.

So about a foot down now, found parts of a skeleton, small animal, apparently wrapped in aluminum foil. There's most of it still in there as my hole was deep and getting kinda creepy npet cemetery thing going on here.

Also found screws, chain link fence parts, random scraps of iron, an an aluminum square that looks to be from house siding. Also found what was left of the 70yr old steel clothes line post.

I've only covered about 1/8 of my back yard... I'm excited to finish my yard and hit some parks and tot lots and find more things.

I'm really surprised the Tracker IV detected disintegrated foil at a foot deep. Based on air tests I can tell this thing is a coin magnet and detects those really well... We'll see what happens especially after the ground thaws.

CFC2C0C4-5EAE-4732-BD25-28173B62A00E.jpeg

tomme boy likes this.
  14. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Build yourself a coin garden. It will teach you more than you will ever learn by watching videos.

Get a few pennies that are older than 1982. 82 and older are copper. After that they are zinc mix. The newest ones are the worst.

Nickles will be about the same no matter the year.

Dimes and quarters you need to find 1964 and earlier. These will be your silver. And then after that are your clad.

You will want to bury these at different depths. From 1" to 10" And from flat to straight up on edge. On edge is where the detector is going to have a problem finding the coins.

Once you get your garden made. Practice going over the coins and listen what your detector is telling you. The amount of water in the soil makes a HUGE!!!! difference on the depth of the detector is going to detect an object.

And if you want to practice, through a small nail in with the coin. Or make a hole with a penny and a dime. Or a nickle and dime. Just to see what it looks like. Because you will run across it out looking.

15. Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had a few detecting spells in the past. I've had White's, Garretts, Tesoros, and others I cant remember just now. I still have a Fisher 1265 and a White's Gold Master II. Detecting is good recreational fun. I've always managed to loose some weight while detecting. But, if you think you'll make it rich detecting you might have a better chance of buying a guitar and becoming the number one super rock star of all time. It's very unlikely it will happen.

The absolute best place to find any value is in public parks (where allowed). Search along the edge of side walks in the grass. Folks pulling their keys out pull out coins and such. Coin fall and roll off the edge into the grass. We have Cherry Creek state park here in the metro area. Cherry Creek was an early historic gold find. I called up the park and ask them if I could prospect for gold. "Sure" they said. "We would love to have you, just stop by the Ranger's office and give us everything you find. It is illegal to remove any minerals, artifacts or lost items you may find on state property". Yeah, right.

So after you have a bucket of grubby, dirty coins, you can take them to the bank and have them rejected because they'll jam the counting/sorting machine. The good news is you can pass your coins off for a couple of years one at a time at a convenience store.

The biggest find after catching several detecting bugs over the past 60 some odd years was a US Ben Franklin half dollar. I don't know what the silver value is today, maybe a couple of $'s is about it.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from detecting. It gets you out of the house and every hit is an adventure. But I doubt if you ever find enough treasure to pay for your investment for the detector, probe, digging trowel, mini prybar, magnifying glass, trash pouch, finds pouch, water, sun screen, sun glasses, shade hat, bug spray, knee pads, gloves, ointment for sore mussels and joints. Along with detecting you'll be able to answers a few thousand questions on what your doing and having kids following you around sticking their noses in your probe holes. Now really would you wrestle a 5 year old out of a nickle your detector found but the youngster got if before you could bend down and pick it up. I don't think so.

Just say'n from experience is all.

It's fun and I'm sure it won't belong until I catch the bug again.

'drif

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  16. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Excellent tips and suggestions, Tom! SO far my son and I are thrilled with whatever we find (even Aunt Marlene's secretly buried pet dog, Snowball, wrapped in aluminum foil!)

All fair points... personally, I am not doing it to get rich. I am enjoying finding things and information about the local history, coins are fun and cool, but relics are great too. There is essentially no one detecting in my local area, there's like 1 guy the next town over... I doubt I'll have many issues with kids running up on me and getting into my work area.

17. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mostly true but only if you just go to present day parks made in the last 50 years or so, don't spend as much time researching old sites as you do detecting and don't have easy access to salt water beaches after major storms.

JasonJ likes this.
  18. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    The beach I'll be hunting this year is the private beach for the subdivision our family cottage is in.. Very rural, bumps up to Northern Michigan forests... Other side of our road is the beach and lake Huron... Not open to the public and frequently vacant outside of prime swimming hours.

The parks and playgrounds around here aren't usually occupied after school hours either.

Unless someone calls the cops on me, I don't expect I'm even but noticed.

19. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about what your saying about not paying off your equipment????? Between Nov and Dec I found over $250 in coins. I cleaned them up and took them to my credit union and cashed them in Not one jammed the counter. It only kicked out about $3.50 or so that were bad. They were all newer.

I tumble them in dish soap and a little salt for about 2 hours a couple times and they are pretty clean. The pennies are the ones that get eaten up pretty good now. They are made really cheap now. Most of the ones made in the last couple years are the worst. They seem to be eaten up in the ground more than memorials are. The new shield ones.

JasonJ and BBizy like this.
  20. Desert Drifter

Blog Posts:
    Tomme you must live in a pretty hot area. When I was detecting there was about a dozen or so parks I would work and I don't think I ever made more than $5 in a day. That would have been a very good day. Mostly $1 to 3$. I was looking at a RCBS Sidewinder tumbler over at Cabelas but at over $500 I couldn't afford that on my retirement income. After you work an area over a couple of times you need to move on. I have property along the old Santa Fe trail. The most interesting find I found there was an Oxen shoe. Found square nails, bolts and such. Walking slow I've passed up a rattler or two. I've detected around some of the old ghost towns in Colorado when you could do so. Nothing interesting to report there. I've tried using the White's Gold Master II in the Clear Creek and Fairplay mining districts hoping to find something. Talking to locals I've hear of folks finding 1 to 4 ounce nuggets by working the dredge tailings. Most of the gold I've found has been using sluice box and high banker. It is really fine about like table salt.

Please don't read me wrong I'm not at all trying to discourage anyone from a fun and enjoyable hobby. I truly enjoy it.

Its still all fun just getting out and enjoying the outdoors is worth it. I'm too old to get rich anyway.

'drif

Blackhillz, JasonJ and BBizy like this.
  21. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    I know I'm certainly not looking to make money here... although if I find a 14k+ gold ring on the beach I'm sure as heck going to cash that in at the local coin and jewelry guy! I'm in it for the excitement of "I found something!" You dig it, not knowing what it's going to be, it's like Christmas every time you get a good tone. I wouldn't have to find much $ to pay off my gear in my case, but that's not the point for me.

I hear you on the newer pennies.. cheap zinc scrap. The old coppers really hold up well, I've got a bunch from the 60s and 70s that are nicely patina'd and crisp on detail. Then there are the crusty ones from the 90s and early 2000s.

^ That, the part I bolded, that's a good enough reason for me right there! The hour I spent on Sunday in my backyard, according to my fancy Fitbit, I burned a good deal of extra calories! Especially since the top 3" of soil was frozen. lol.

Desert Drifter likes this.
  22. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have been lucky that the parks I have been going to no one has detected in a very long time. I have been staying away from the parks that everyone hits. I tried a couple of them and I would walk for 50+ yards without a single tone. That is rare in a public park! That is how I know they get hit pretty hard.

I have one park here in my town that I just remembered. It is not on any map of the town. And it is a very old park. It dates to at least the 1890 era from pics I found of the church in the background. That was when the church was built and the park was there then. I did a real fast hunt last week before it got froze up. I got 13 wheat pennies in an hour. What was weird was I found a 1936 sitting on top of a 2015 quarter. It was next to a new swing set so it must have been ground that was turned over.

JasonJ likes this.
  23. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Dirty coins? No problem! I bought a Harbor Freight 3lb rock tumbler for about $45...
    https://www.harborfreight.com/3-lb-rotary-rock-tumbler-67631.html

[​IMG]

Throw in 1 cup of small, natural colored aquarium gravel, a few drops of dawn soap and a capful of ammonia. Add water to just above gravel level. Drop in a handful of coins - separate silver coins from copper or copper clad coins. Tighten the lid and let it run overnight. You will be amazed at the difference in the appearance when you take them out! I used a wide vegetable strainer with fine mesh to pour the contents of the tumbler through. Drain off the liquid and rinse thoroughly. Pick out the coins and let your gravel dry before going another round. The gravel will last a LONG time and won't damage the coins. If you have particularly valuable coins, you might choose an electrolysis method of cleaning instead.

Watch for sales or coupons at HF and you can get these even cheaper.

BBizy, Oni and JasonJ like this.
  24. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    You don't even need to add the gravel. I add soap and a table spoon of salt. Tumble them for a couple hours and that is good enough to cash them in.

BBizy and JasonJ like this.
  25. Desert Drifter

Blog Posts:
    Just soap and salt? How much soap? I've never been introduced to "tumbling" brass, or lapidary things. I've always assumed that tumbling brass was a dry process using some sort of dry tumbling media. It would seem to me that placing corroded coins in a container, adding say a cup of dish washing soap along with a tablespoon of salt and tumbling it would make a mess.

Now if you added water to the mix you would have an incredible suds eruption all over your wife's kitchen and floor.

Truly I'm not doubting this process and I'm not being a smart @**. I'm really curious about how to do this.

'drif

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  26. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Couple drops is all that is needed. And just a tea spoon of salt. Found it on another forum. It works. If you have something that is sealed really well, through it in the washer with some work cloths. Heard that works but have not tried it.

27. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    The rotary tumbler above is sealed up and you add the coins, water, soap, and salt. It does not make a mess at all. Unless you spill it.

28. Desert Drifter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, I think I'll keep a look out for a tumbler and give it a try.

'drif

29. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    It has to be a rotary tumbler. Or what others call a rock tumbler.

Look up on Youtube on how to build one. Pretty easy if you are handy.

30. Oni

Oni Scout

Blog Posts:
    Took my 8yo out for his first metal detector adventure this weekend. He uses my first detector, an old BH. Bought him a pinpointer and started teaching him the ropes.

He loves looking for treasures. Even an old washer he found is a treasure and he wanted to keep it. We went out for a few hours and only found some pennies, a nickel and a dime...and lots of trash as usual.

It was fun to see his excitement when finding a coin we dug up from the ground.

I buried some coins in my Dad’s backyard for him to find next time we visit.

Always looking for different things for us to do together.

JasonJ and BBizy like this.
  31. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:

School yards are great places to find "clad" coins. When I checked with my local school district about using a detector on school property, they told me that any property that was not under lock and key was accessible to the public and could be detected. The local parks and recreation department said the same thing. This opened up a LOT of ground for adventures as you described. Likely won't get rich detecting school grounds, but if you just have an hour and want to chase some "blips", it may be another place to try. I would call and check to see if your local school/park authorities have a similar take on use of the property before I went. I also use only a thin bladed screwdriver on such places to locate my target without packing a shovel. Less likely to be run off with this method.

JasonJ and Oni like this.
  32. Oni

Oni Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yup, dug plenty of parks and schools. Used to go with a detector forum group around here when I just started getting into it.

Leave no trace also applies to metal detecting. Put our plugs on a cloth and when done put all the dirt back in the hole. Most of the time where we dug was almost invisible.

Never got run off. Only time people approached was due to curiosity and interest.

JasonJ and ozarkhunter like this.