MichaelBear Claw

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Ptpalpha, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Catchy name, no?
    This is one of Michael's Z-Wear knives, recently sold out in the vendors forum. Michael was kind enough to hold this one while I got back on my feet PayPal-wise (he actually sent the knife immediately despite my needing a couple weeks to pay him. Another of many examples I could relate of what a great guy he is.)
    Long story short, I've always wanted a heavy duty "scalpel" style knife. The only one that ever came close was the Amsler Hurricane, and I just could never bring myself to pull the trigger.
    This one is badass. 3/16" thick Z-Wear, skull logo on one side, trident-Z logo on the other. 1-3/4" blade and 4" handle.
    IMG_20190809_100810.jpg

Wanting a little more handle length, I spoke with @A Seedy Lot about the method I'd seen him use on a couple of his blades. A piece of micarta the same thickness as the steel is sandwiched at the butt end and pinned & epoxied in place.
    The only 3/16" micarta I had on hand was some red stock that was salvaged from a piece of electrical equipment, so that's what I used.
    I'd been sitting on a couple of really nice cross cut brown micarta scales and used one of them for this project. 3/16" brass pins tied it all together.
    I had to get creative with the front of the scales to keep from covering up the logos. I scaled another of Michael's blades a couple years ago and really regretted covering that skull. Not this time.
    Here's the result: 4-3/4" handle, feels perfect in multiple grips.
    Thanks, @MichaelBear . The quality of your blades is only eclipsed by the quality of your character.
    IMG_20190817_113858.jpg IMG_20190817_111830.jpg IMG_20190817_114801.jpg

Here's a shot showing the extended tang:
    IMG_20190817_111806.jpg

2. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh dang! I love how thick that little beast is. Z-Wear will likely be tough enough to outlast you, the user. :cool:

3. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I know, lol. This thing is a beast! I doubt it would take long to carve my way out of the fuselage.

MichaelBear, buckfynn and M.Hatfield like this.
  4. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That is NICE! Congrats on getting such a cool blade. Looks like an excellent whittling knife.

MichaelBear and Ptpalpha like this.
  5. MichaelBear

MichaelBear Bushmaster Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Came out great! Nice job!

Ptpalpha likes this.
  6. ChrisOCLM

ChrisOCLM Knife Addict

Blog Posts:
    I have done some horrible things to the zwear knife I got from Michael and it’s amazing. I really like the scale job you did on this! Very nice!

Ptpalpha likes this.
  7. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Still needs some tweaks to the contours, but so far so good.