Michaux Sate Forest PA January 2019

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by HalfTreaded, Nov 19, 2018.

?

Which weekend would be best for you?

Poll closed Dec 14, 2018.
  1. January 04, 05, 06?

4.5%
  2. January 11, 12, 13?

45.5%
  3. January 18, 19, 20?

31.8%
  4. January 25, 26, 27?

18.2%
  1. scottmm2012

scottmm2012 1 Peter 1:20 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Looks like you all had a good time. Hopefully, my schedule and outing schedules in the South East will soon meet at the same frequency.

2. scottmm2012

Blog Posts:
    Most of the free primitive sites are along the Susquehannock Trail System. However, there are some great areas off trail to set up in. I know of quite a few in my general area (places I've just run into while bushwhacking or hunting through the forest.) I was also considering doing a winter hammock hang sometime probably along the trail before spring starts. But it seems like the interest of meetings in the big woods of North Central PA doesn't catch fire like South Central/East PA garners.

rsnurkle and HalfTreaded like this.
  3. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had asked some of the "guys" if there would be any interest in doing a meet-up in Bald Eagle SF. There's almost 195,000 acres.

4. scottmm2012

Blog Posts:
    I'd love to do Bald Eagle too, Tioga, Tiadaghton, Sproul is also on the list.

rsnurkle, GoKartz and HalfTreaded like this.
  5. scottmm2012

Blog Posts:
    Not to mention ANF!!

6. clueless on the delaware

clueless on the delaware Scout

Blog Posts:
    You set one up and i'll be there. May i suggest the bottom of Birch Run road? By where the old bus used to be?

HalfTreaded likes this.
  7. scottmm2012

Blog Posts:
    Unfamiliar with Birch Run Road in my general area, one near Snowshoe, PA. We do however have an old Bus off of the Notch Road (Zoerb Hollow Rd). Unless, you're talking about the stream, which is near Conrad, vicinity of Shinglebolt Hollow?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    HalfTreaded likes this.
  8. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    Tiadaghton SF is just to the north... there's another 215,500 acres to roam. With +/- 410,000 acres, there should be enough room to accommodate @designtom HUGE tarp! Lol

designtom and HalfTreaded like this.
  9. clueless on the delaware

Blog Posts:
    Its an old gated logging rd off of Nelson Run rd, near Wharton in Potter county . About 2 miles down grade feom the gate is a half acre or so grassy area where a small tributary joins it. Untill a few years ago a CCC era bus that had rolled down the ridge sat there rotting.

scottmm2012 likes this.
  10. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    So, a couple lessons learned for me. I apologize for the length... some folks like detail, the rest can skip it and I'll never know.

Shelter. Plowpoint. I normally sleep on the right side as you look in, right up against the side. The snow pushed down on both sides, compressing my bag insulation and making me wake up several times in the night to push it off. LL: Sleep in the middle in winter, off to the side in the other seasons.

Some folks asked about my USGI desert/night parka. It is indeed US, Desert Storm era (not European or anything else). The liner is woobie material, about the same size as the ECW one, but with a sewn on (vs button on) hood that is unlined (vs blanket material with a fur ruff.) The pockets are just slashes to let you get to your own pants pockets, not pockets you can use (vs the ECW ones, which are lined, and deep.) The liner also has a corresponding slit so you can reach through. Just FYI, the liners are similar, but the buttons used to button it in are entirely different, though you could probably cut them off and reposition them to fit the ECW liner if you wanted to. IDK for sure.

I need another dedicated inside pocket for my Polar Pure (iodine prills). Keeping them in my shirt breast pocket worked, but was sort of lumpy and got in the way of my phone. Also need some belt loops on the parka. Another TTP was to unbutton the middle 2 buttons of my liner, along the front edges, so I could better access the patch pockets I sewed inside. On another note, hanging my gloves off the drawstring worked fine when i wasn't using them. Just bulky right there in the middle. Finally, need to either lanolin-treat or wax it, so it's more water resistant. It's just about the right weight for the 0-25* range... below that you need the ECW parka. Above that, a rain shell would be better for me.

Clothing. It all worked, and I didn't bring too much, which is a rarity. In that 25-40* temp range though, a more water-resistant hat could be a good thing. The brim on my ball cap turned out to be useful as well, keeping snow off my glasses (which i learned from NOT wearing the ballcap part of the way out.)

Stoves. I learned awhile ago that the butane ones are fiddley in the cold, as they don't like to 'vaporize'. So this time I brought an MSR SimmerLite (gas) and a Trangia (alcohol). Both worked well. I think the alcohol wins for solo/backpacking, and the SimmerLite wins if you are pulking.

Water. I let my pot of water sit out all night, probably 9-10 hours, un-insulated, in 29-30* temps (someone please correct me if it was warmer, but it did snow, so must have been at least that cold), and in the morning, there was only a thin layer of ice all around it. All i did was punch a hole in the top with my finger (to see how thick it was) and put it on the stove. It was not a problem. I kept my polar pure and my water bottle inside my bag with me, and they were fine too.

Cooking. My normal boil, rehydrate, and eat technique needs adjusting. I didn't factor in the temps, and it took longer to rehydrate my dinner than usual... i normally wait 25-30 minutes... probably should/could have gone to 45 with a better/thicker insulation layer/cozy (white foam, about 1/4" thick). My 5-cup Mors was fine, but had i brought the 8 cup, i could have brought my other bowl with the 3/8" blue foam cozy. I could also have carried more water from the creek. And I should have brought my bladder along, but didn't because i was worried about it freezing... on that note, I got up at whatever time and packed up my stuff about 4 hours later. I left my bag on top of my air mattress. When i deflated the mattress, the air inside was still pretty warm, which surprised me. So i could have left my water bladder, full, maybe under a jacket or something, and it would have been fine overnight, then moved it to under my bag during the day.

Speaking of mattresses. I had a Klymit V insulated R4.4 mattress, and it was a little chilly late at night/early in the morning. Fortunately, I had also brought along a blue foam pad. Once i put that underneath, it was fine.

Sleeping. On another note, at some point during the night my hat kept slipping off. I took my down vest and laid it over my head with my face stuck out through an arm hole, like a balaclava, and draped the rest over my shoulder and chest for an extra layer. Amazing what an inch of insulation around your head and neck will do to keep you warmer.

Unpacking my gear at home, and reevaluating it, the things I brought but could have left home (aside from things I didn't use, like my own saw and axe, because someone else's were out for public use), included my mitten shells, a spare T Shirt, a plastic bowl, and some extra food.

Other people's gear that I saw that I liked included @designtom's Silky "BigBoy" saw. Man, that thing is nice! Pretty much a full sized saw, so you're not having to take little half strokes and wasting your effort. And while heavier than my PocketBoy, it didn't seem much heavier than the GomBoy. Another thing I was impressed with was someone's frame saw whose name I can't remember... Boreal something or other (someone please tell me.) And someone brought a Bob Dustrade saw which was also a very useful tool. All three were excellent for winter, when I'd like a bigger saw than my PocketBoy.

I forgot to mention that for this trip, I used my recently re-acquired Kelty Trekker 4300 pack. I had loaned it to my brother (2002?) and reclaimed it over Thanksgiving... well, now I remember why I hate overly-compartmented packs so much... nothing fits. My sleeping bag compartment needed more to fill it (so i had to cram stuff in there, like clothing, that I'd normally put at the very bottom of my pack). All 5 of the outside pockets were too small and the curved zippers were very difficult to zip. I missed having hipbelt pockets. On the plus side, I really liked how the load carried overall. I liked the hip belt. I liked the top flap pocket, and how the top flap covers the load and straps down, and how you could tuck a folded jacket up under it for easy access. I liked having a fairly large space at the bottom of the frame, under the sack part, to which I could lash something (like my down vest stuck into the center of my blue foam mat, or my tarp, or whatever.) I think I will be removing the old Kelty Pack from the frame and making a new bag from something... a single bag with two longish water bottle sized pockets, a large central pocket, and a long top flap; sort of a combination Yucca Pack, NATO/German, and Duluth portage... all the things i like about each. We'll see. If I do, there will be a thread.

On another note, @GoKartz, I will be stealing some of your scenary pics if that's ok... they're really nice!

melbolt65, rsnurkle, GoKartz and 4 others like this.
  11. ANFwoodsman

ANFwoodsman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  12. Odinborn

Odinborn Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    @HalfTreaded I would avoid the NCT section of ANF in the beginning of June. The hikers going through there that weekend will be going F-A-S-T. Unless you decided to ruck the 100 miles with me ;)

rsnurkle, GoKartz and HalfTreaded like this.
  13. ANFwoodsman

Blog Posts:
  14. Odinborn

Odinborn Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  15. ANFwoodsman

Blog Posts:
    Juany118, Seeker, melbolt65 and 8 others like this.
  16. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    HalfTreaded likes this.
  17. GoKartz

GoKartz El Coyote Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Seeker thanks for the kind words, I love taking pictures. Always ok to steal. :)

18. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    There were a couple of first time BCUSA meet up participants at this event; @GoKartz @x19delta myself and I believe @Forestcactus. Not sure if I missed anyone...

19. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    I'll be putting one together for her.

20. x19delta

x19delta Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I definitely had a good time this past weekend. Wished I could have been there for the whole event. Glad I got to meet a few more of you before leaving on Saturday. I learned a couple new tricks while in the woods from a few people. I love when a group of experienced people get together like this because everyone can take something from it to use later. I'm looking forward to the next event as long as it's not more than 3 hrs from me in Maryland, I should be there.

21. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't think so. She has fairly limited internet access and probably won't answer for awhile. But if you PM designtom, he'd probably know.

22. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    Thanks @Seeker. DT already gave me some info on the situation.

Seeker and HalfTreaded like this.
  23. designtom

designtom Men Of Action #43 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Guys, I just like to be out in the woods ........ I don't know what @HalfTreaded is talking about.

24. designtom

Blog Posts:
  25. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    Ehh, the current forecast isn't that bad. lol
    Extended Forecast.PNG

GoKartz and HalfTreaded like this.
  26. designtom

Blog Posts:
    You're going to be hearing this four word phrase a few times before Feb 8 .....

POLAR VORTEX HAS FRACTURED

27. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    Is that anything like "The sky is falling, the SKY is FALLING!"?? :D

GoKartz and HalfTreaded like this.
  28. designtom

Blog Posts:
    Nothing like that. A few pipes freeze, some insurance checks get cut, and next thing you know I've sold a few extra kitchens, and I can use the commissions to pay for another semester of college (good news, son #1 just got onto Deans list http://www.elon.edu/AcademicAnnounc...KdEU288G6095_DVIfmHMXqe2uejZeNNH9PI71BgwSZSdc), and maybe buy an axe that I don't really need.

29. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    AWESOME...hopefully it involves some cold weather camping too!

HalfTreaded likes this.
  30. clueless on the delaware

Blog Posts:
    I've been to that spot. Great camp sight, but choke creek is a most appropriate name for that stream. Bring your charcoal filters.

HalfTreaded likes this.