Michigan Semi Auto deer pistols Magazine restrictions?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by scottman, Jul 12, 2018.

1. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
  2. Daniel Klinglesmith

Daniel Klinglesmith Ornory Old Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Semi -auto handguns would be the same as SA long guns.

scottman likes this.
  3. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    it doesn't mention pistols

it only mentions pistol restrictions in shotgun zone

page 16 ,18 , and 19

4. perdidochas

perdidochas Guide

Blog Posts:
    What I read was that there was a 6 round limit (5 in magazine, 1 in chamber) for rifles, and a three round limit for shotguns. Didn't specify for handguns, so I would assume any magazine is ok. I'd ask the game warden, though.

In FL, it specifically says that semi-automatic rifles for hunting have to have a 5 round magazine or smaller, it says nothing about semi-automatic pistols.

5. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    nor can I find anything in the MI game book above shotgun zone on it

6. drobs

drobs Scout

Blog Posts:
    See pages 20 - 22:
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf

Seems there is a 9rd limit (chamber and magazine) + it must be at least 35 caliber for hunting deer with a pistol.
    I note an exemption for CPL (concealed licenses). I too would call your DNR and see how that is applied. Can you carry your Glock with a 17rd mag for defense / not for deer hunting or must it be limited to 9rds?

scottman likes this.
  7. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    That’s in the limited zone aka shotgun zone . That’s not the upper half of the state .

8. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can’t speak for Michigan game wardens but if they are anything like Texas game wardens they are more of a revenue generating bunch than a wildlife protection group.

If it were me I would have a pistol with the same capacity as a rifle. On most pistols It’s easy to slip the floor plate off a magazine and install a block of wood to limit capacity. Sure, you can be 100% right but get a game warden who dosen’t know the law and you can get your gun confiscated and end up in court to get it back plus hassle over fines and fees. Might be easer to have two or three 5 round mags.

scottman and ManyHammers like this.
  9. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The Texas Rangers used to have a saying: “One riot -- one Ranger”. I have a similar saying: “one deer --one bullet”. I usually hunt with a muzzle loader or double barreled shotgun I’ve never had need for the second barrel or to reload the muzzleloader. If I was shooting hogs or ground squirrels where multiple targets are on offer I’d think about the max number of rounds I could load, but for deer about three is usually two too many.

scottman, Lichen and ManyHammers like this.
  10. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yep only need one but I like the option Incase black swan self defense situations . I don’t plug my conceal carry handgun either

11. badglide9705

badglide9705 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The answer is 9 combined, mag and chamber and it applies to the whole state. CPL carry is allowed, but I wouldn't give any reason for the DNR to think I`m hunting with it. Referring to high cap magazines.

scottman likes this.
  12. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    MI CO's (Conservation Officers) are usually pretty good, and have some common sense about them. If it looks like you're hunting with a pistol, there is not much you can do to make it "not" look like that. They also understand our CPL laws while carrying afield for hunting purposes and there are rarely ever any encounters with them that are legit, that then go sideways.

badglide9705 and scottman like this.
  13. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    source?

14. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    All Firearm Deer Seasons - North of Limited Firearm Deer Zone
    (See pg. 11)
    Deer may be taken with handguns, rifles, crossbows, bows and arrows, shotguns,
    and muzzleloading firearms, including black powder handguns. It is legal to hunt
    deer north of the limited firearm deer zone with any caliber of firearm except a
    .22 caliber or smaller rimfire (rifle or handgun). During the firearm deer seasons,
    a firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow, crossbow and firearm.

15. badglide9705

badglide9705 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Notice that this quote does not specify any mag capacities. Mag capacities are the same for the whole state. My source is a DNR Officer and my buddy who teaches hunter safety which is required to obtain a hunting license.

scottman likes this.
  16. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'll be giving them a call and getting a letter.

mag capacity is only men tion ed on pistols in limited firearm zone, and semi auto shotguns and rifles.

no mention of mag capacity for semi auto pistols north of limited zone, bolt action rifles, lever actions, pumps....