'Micro Blade' Project - your input is valuable (comment and win a Micro FS)

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Kit Knives' started by BogdanS, Sep 16, 2018.

?

Would you buy a 'Micro'?

This poll will close on Sep 26, 2018 at 9:02 AM.
  1. Yes the knife alone

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Yes the knife, sheath and FS

25 vote(s)
    83.3%
  3. A Micro FS only

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BogdanS

BogdanS Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Hello all BCUSA members and thank you for taking your time to be here and share your thoughts with us,

For approx 2 months whenever i had some spare time (at least 'thinking' spare time because the 'working' one is always full) i established the guidelines of a new and captivating project (at least for me :)) which i would call - 'Micro Blade'.
    I have to admit that i am 'neck knives' addicted but not because of principles yet only because there are countless situations that without my neck knife life would have been way harder :D. From opening a stubborn duct tape sealed box, cutting a knoted pants string (i hope i am not the only one to whom this happens :D), sharpening a pencil, cutting a string, a clothes label, gutting a fish, preparing food, carving...and the list goes on, the necknife was always there when the 'big boys' were out of reach due to situation, law, unconfortable wearing or unpredictes things. You could only feel how great a neck knife is only when you would need a cutting tool and you dont have it :D

Based on that the idea of this project has been born. Now few key details on this and if it will make an interest i will continue further. Punctually mentioning them for the ease of understanding:
    1. High quality, precision finished, O1 high carbon tungsten vanadium tool steel, scandi zero grind for a scarry sharp edge; there will be 2 models; first one and depending on interest the second will follow. First blade shape will be an aggressive wharncliffe style one, only 2 inch cutting edge and a confortable 3.5 inch handle. Main points are to be super confortable in use and wear and to be legal to carry (ok in wide lines as i know that laws are different fron state to state :)).

2. The main distinctive and attractive thing in the same time will be the price. Yes, the price will be unbelievable for what it will offer and even more than that it will be Standard (a little bit above 100 usd) for all over 30 handle materials available (think about buying a desert ironwood handled knife for the price of plain oak one or lignum vitae for the price of plain apple :)).

3. The TAT would be super short - planning for max 3 weeks but aiming for 2.

4. Dedicated multicarry rough leather sheath again for a super decent price.

5. Micro firesteels matching the knives or sold separately again for very good prices.

Taking all these into account and before starting the project i would really like and need to know your thoughts on that as this will decide wheather we go on or not ;)

Please vote or even better leave a sincere comment , it will be greatly appreciated ;)

All the best, God bless,
    Bogdan

2. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Once I sell my remaining 4-6 knives I will have a place in my collection for something this size again. I would happily place an order for the entire package. :)

I travel and enjoy small fixed blades so having numerous options in one 'tiny' package that is legal everywhere in the USA does really appeal to me. :dblthumb:

3. KFF

KFF Scout

Blog Posts:
    My need for size is best described by the fact that I've been looking for a folder body that takes a scalpel blade.
    No so easy to find this side of the pond.

freebirdfb and M.Hatfield like this.
  4. BogdanS

BogdanS Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Thank you boys ;).

Forgot to say that all comments will get into a lottery for a Micro FS. This will happen in maximum 3 weeks starting today (i will pin this soon ;)).

All the best, God bless,
    Bogdan

JasonJ and M.Hatfield like this.
  5. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like tiny fixed blades, and I just sold a nifty mini kiridashi.

I could definitely skip the firesteel, since it would be a primarily "town" knife for me. Maybe make it an optional extra? Or, since it's a "neck knife" a firesteel could just hang from the same lanyard.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  6. BogdanS

BogdanS Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    @tomcfitz - indeed brother, that was the plan to sell everything separately, knife, sheath, FS. Thanks for the comment!

All the best, God bless,
    Bogdan

7. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a skeleton necker in that size/shape already and absolutely love it.
    what thickness are you planning on going with and do you have a drawing or prototype you could show?

M.Hatfield likes this.
  8. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Interesting. Do you have a prototype or sketch?

M.Hatfield likes this.
  9. schapm

schapm Incompetent City Dweller Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not having a sheath makes me considerably less likely to purchase a knife. Even if I plan on upgrading it, I like being able to get my new knife in the rotation right away.

Primordial, JasonJ and M.Hatfield like this.
  10. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:
    having trouble picturing it in my head but i'm missing a small neck knife

M.Hatfield and schapm like this.
  11. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    2” blade and 3” handle? Maybe smaller? I like that.

Making a usable small handle is the magic trick.

I am wanting a “fixed blade wallet knife” these days meself. The wallet would be the sheath.

This is not to be confused with an Altoids PSK, though they probably would look near identical :D

My very first custom knife was a commissioned work by Bryan Breeden (knife at top):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  12. TexasPrimitive

TexasPrimitive Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I didn’t see an option for knife/sheath/no FS.

For some the bulk of a handle isn’t worth it. I’m just cutting a box or something. So consider either an ultra lite/thin handle or an option for none at all. I think esee nailed it when they offered the small knives with no handle as an option. And the mora Eldris is great on every front except bulk.

13. Gecco304

Gecco304 Scout

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

CowboyJesus and alukban like this.
  14. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting!

Blog Posts:
    I dont wear stuff on my neck, but I have often carried them in my pocket or on a belt. I do like simple kiridashi designs as well as some others.

Metaldog and JasonJ like this.
  15. BogdanS

BogdanS Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Thanks boys for the valuable input!

Prototype sketch tomorrow ;); all parts (knife,sheath, fs) will be also sold separately so any combination would work.

@1066vik - 3 mm is the standard; high scandi is supporred by the decent spine without preventing it from slicing ;)

@alukban - indeed my friend as stated 2" blade and 3,5" handle ;); from my humble experience the neutral shaped handles are the only 'no size' limit that still offer enough control and comfort

@TexasPrimitive - indeed brother that is also my idea; the prototype scales are only 4 mm thick each just to add a drop of 'look and style' and the necessary comfort in case of ocasional carving or so. On top i am making usable gentleman knives yet not pretended army like blades and you know it mate ;)

@Gecco304 - thanks mate ;)

@Wasp - im with you here my friend yet i call them neck knives as this is how they are known; im not wearing them on my neck too :)

All the best, God bless,
    Bogdan

1066vik, alukban, Wasp and 2 others like this.
  16. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like the concept of this; although I'd probably wear it on my belt but prefer to have it horizontal instead of vertically hanging. A knife that size fits well with the curve around my waist.

Is the wharncliffe blade shape to have a gentle curve downward to thr tip, or more straight angle like a broken back seax? I like the look of the latter, and it gives a strong tip for piercing.

Looking forward to the sketch!

M.Hatfield likes this.
  17. kairo

kairo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I also don't wear knives around my neck, but I use small fixed blades a lot (mostly the Mora Eldris). I can keep a small fixed blade in its sheath inside my pocket.

My thoughts on the fire steel are: Given the tremendous value of the knives you already provide (I have 2 of them, and I love them both). I would build the fire steel and sheath into the cost of the knife and adjust the price accordingly. Most of your target market is not going to notice an extra $20-$40 in the price of a knife if it comes with a sheath / fire steel.

So my vote is, keep the sheath and fire steel, and sell the knife as a package. For a $100-$150 product, especially with the shipping costs you must incur from Romania, the average consumer will perceive a better value in having a small knife come with accessories (sheath and fire steel).

Looking forward to seeing them, Bogdan, and I may pick one up to match my Aurochs -- Kirinite and black Micarta!

18. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If it has the quality and good looks of your recent efforts it will be a great knife!

19. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I often carry a mini box cutter or snap knife with me. They are invaluable in saving my EDC from abuse by cardboard, tape, packing straps, etc.

20. Skeptiksks

Skeptiksks Green Haired Weirdo Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I dig all things small and sharp. Also I really like the idea of a micro ferro rod. I would totally buy a full setup. Not to mention I have been ogling your work since you started posting here.

kairo, JasonJ and M.Hatfield like this.
  21. T-Rav

T-Rav Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I hang a neck knife off of a clip on my fishing vest. I use it mostly to cut small branches to free a stuck fly, and of course to gut fish and the occasional carving task. Currently I have a simple stainless blade for the job but would love an excuse to replace it for something with more character.

The important things for my purpose is being small and light with a handle that is comfortable but not too thick. Also a drop point helps when gutting fish.

22. kairo

Blog Posts:
    If you're on the fence, order one. The quality of the blade steel, and the craftsmanship of the handles, I'd honestly put them up against almost anything else out there. And they are very competitively priced.

Also @bogdan is just a pretty damn decent fellow all the way around!

JasonJ, Skeptiksks and M.Hatfield like this.
  23. Skeptiksks

Skeptiksks Green Haired Weirdo Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm definitely not on the fence, my finances are. I have wantedbome of his blades for a very long time now. Everything sings to me. He will probably be the maker of my next custom.

JasonJ and kairo like this.
  24. Chriiis.Glover

Chriiis.Glover Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I’m a big fan of small blades and neck knives. I think this sounds great. I do prefer kydex sheaths and tip up carry for EDC neck knives.

25. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Definitely with a sheath, having to add one after the fact makes it less likely for me to buy a knife. I love how useful and versatile small blades are.

JasonJ likes this.
  26. ANFwoodsman

ANFwoodsman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think your size sounds good. I like a small knife as long as the handle is well designed.

I would want a sheath with the knife.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    alukban likes this.
  27. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    For sure. Honestly, I expect that Bogdan will need/want to raise his pricing soon... unless the exchange rate to Romanian currency is such and his cost of materials is less than it would be here... I'm surprised that he can make a good profit margin at existing prices.

Same. I'd rather have an included sheath that works, but perhaps isn't the best or to my liking- to use in the meantime while I make or buy a better one, than have none at all as soon as it arrives.

In my opinion, even when a knife is sold without a proper sheath, at least a friction fit sleeve of folded kydex or thermomold plastic should be included for safety's sake.

28. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Quoting myself, because I went and looked it up due to curiosity, and by and large, most things in Romania are 1/2 to 2x less expensive than is average in the US. Things make more sense to me now. I see why US based companies manufacture overseas..I don't necessarily agree with it, but I see it.

I wish I could get away with only paying $9/month for 60Mbps internet, and 50 cents for a loaf of bread, and only 25% as much for rent/mortage.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...t.jsp?country1=Romania&country2=United+States

On topic again: Still excited to see the prototype sketch!

29. BogdanS

BogdanS Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    @JasonJ - my dear friend, indeed food and other services are less expensive than in the US yet the materials for knife making are always at least as expensive but often more expensive than in the US :). Lets not say that 90% of them are imported paying consistent shipping fees.
    I tell you all without being ashame that the profit we get offers us only a modest living from all points of view. We are yet used to live like this and even if the market will allow i will only take the prices a little higher because this is my way of thinking. I was raised and educated to appreciate my work only related to others. How could i ask 300 bucks for 3 days of work when maybe my customer works 7 days for the same money (just an example).
    I also learned that God takes care of us and rewards us based on our actions and i could not be happier that being all healthy, having a roof above our head and food on the table and on top, making so many happy customers and having/gaining so many friends ;)
    Love you all guys!

All the best, God bless,
    Bogdab

P.S: not even the sketch but the prototype/first Micro Blade is ready pics soon ;)

30. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    A light weight knife with a 2-2.5” blade can be handy. If this goes into production I would consider geting one. I prefer handle up for neck knives. And i have a friend to show it to. He works in a federal building and is limited to carring small blades.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  31. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    A fair statement to make. I'm all for a good deal, and paying more for the sake of paying more is not on my to-do list, I'd just hate to see any maker hurt their business (or have to quit) because they priced themselves too low for the goods being made. So long as you're happy, the customers are happy, and it makes financial sense so that you can keep on producing your work...

Thanks for your involvement in the interest of some of your customers, I know that collectively we all appreciate when a maker asks us for input on new products.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  32. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    THIS ^^

I like small fixed blade knives and use them often on trout and small game.

33. BogdanS

BogdanS Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    @JasonJ - thanks brother for pointing this up, indeed there are moments when i am thinking to get a regular job and quit my shop due to financial constrains; hopefully i will never really have to do that as i so much love what i do ;)

In the meantime lets get back to 'Micro' ;) - pics and details in few hours.

All the best boys, God bless,
    Bogdan

happywanderer, JasonJ and M.Hatfield like this.
  34. BogdanS

BogdanS Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Here we go as promised - the new Micro Blade prototype is now ready (honestly if there will be no major complain/suggestion from your side that would remain the standard Micro ;)).
    Please do excuse the pics, they are made by phone this time as i was in areal hurry :)
    The actual form is not a randomly chosen one yet one that evolved by do and observe. Today i worked ALL day only at this project :D; i made and ruin and redo and ruin again until i got here. The conclusions are:
    1. no handle scales for such knife as they would have to be ultra thin (3-4mm) in order to keep it light and slim and at this thickness they have not inspired me the trust that they will still be there in 10 years. They tend to bend, curl, crack and have no real longitudinal stability - so a No Go :)
    2. skeleton type handle - No Go - horrible looking (like factory ones that i simply hate - please do excuse me if i upset anyone on this), flimsy feel, no considerable decrease in weight due to material initial thickness and surface.
    3. on top of the premium quality blade and the razor sharp ultra fine edge i decided to add a drop of 'gentleman-ish' thing in order to make each blade unique and more valuable (lot of precision work involved that would really increase the value of the blade - do not worry only the value but not the price :D) - i am talking about a 'wood pill' that can be seen on handle. In this blade we have a piece of exceptionally beautiful European Yew. Do not take into consideration the diameter of the ornament as it is not there to show itself but only to show the the detail work involved and distinguish one blade from another. Do not worry about its resilience i thought of that too and if you are not about to take it off with a screwdriver and a hammer it will stay there for good :D). That 'wood pill' would be on customers choice and once with the knife all customers will receive a bead from the same material as the 'wood pill'.

Tomorrow hopefully my lovely wife will be able to put together a very nice sheath for the beats :))

All the best, God bless,
    Bogdan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. M.Hatfield

Blog Posts:
    Looks great! I can picture mine glowing (glow liners) with a side of blue G-10 (blue G-10 handles) I think. :)

Certainly have some thinking to do.....

36. BogdanS

BogdanS Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    @M.Hatfield - thanks mate i am glad you like it! ;) As for the handle as stated i don't think that there will be scales added and the only 'scale detail' would be the so called 'wood pill' that wood/synthetic dot of material embossed into the handle so why not have a dot of kirinite starlight in there ha?! :D

All the best, God bless,
    Bogdan

37. Yoop177

Yoop177 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have several small blades in my kit. I rely on my neck knife for the majority of my daily work. For game processing they are fantastic. From trout to grouse, even gutted, skinned and quartered a few deer with mine.
    A well made mini knife with a quality sheath is a must in my opinion. Having a mini fire steel makes the total compact package that much more functional.

I can't wait to see the completed project.

Primordial and M.Hatfield like this.
  38. M.Hatfield

Blog Posts:
    Ahhh, I will admit I skipped most of what you wrote and just got excited for what I saw. :oops:

Still, a dot of kirinite starlight would be perfect for me. Thank you for clarifying @BogdanS

39. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    that is a snazzy looking cutter right there! never seen anything quite like that wood pill. and an interesting idea to easily make each one one-of-a-kind.
    i will say, in your hands at least, that knife looks like it could be at home as a companion knife on a larger one or as a necker. any chance there might be grommets on that sheath, so it could easily be converted for neck or piggy back?

M.Hatfield likes this.
  40. mnwoodguy

mnwoodguy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As the owner of a Bogdan made wharncliffe I highly encourage anyone who wants a well designed and executed knife to not hesitate to order. Mine is on its way to being my most used blade.

545B96C1-30C1-4F98-BF04-5365F4AC4375.jpeg

41. BogdanS

BogdanS Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Thank you boys for your support, thank you @mnwoodguy my dear friend, i am glad it is what you expected it to be ;)

Few hours ago my genius lovely wife managed to finish a prototype sheath for this small guy; exactly as the knife itself we wanted to have something special yet keeping it safe and light. To my amazement i am in love with this knife+sheath; the 'click' i so much love in folding knives can be heard now also with a fixed blade :D.
    How that - by using a 'burrowed' super magnet that once the blade is inserted into the heavy leather pocket will attract it's tang and fix it into the special designed leather bump. The knife stays very well secured and it feels to me like being one of the most safe way to sheath a non scaled knife. I hope you enjoy it at least as much as i did.
    Oh almost forgot near it is a matching micro firesteel (that will be sold separately this time ;) in vendors forum in order to get some more money for the project and another one will be made once all the setup will be finished). On top of that as promised all knives will come with a matchin bead like the one this one has. With God's good will tomorrow you will see the final sheath design which also includes the firesteel loop and a multi carry system ;)

All the best, God bless,
    Bogdan

[​IMG]

42. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    @BogdanS now that's a very creative sheath system, especially being leather. I presume the sheaths (of that style) would be available in left or right-side carry? As it is with the sample you show, it looks like it'd be a horizontally carried sheath, but is set up such that for the bottom of the blade to be facing, well... the bottom, for right-side carry it'd have to be mirror imaged.

Looks pretty good. It's definitely a unique design.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  43. BogdanS

BogdanS Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    @JasonJ - thanks brother for your appreciation!
    Indeed the sheaths will be right/left handed ;). We also prepare another new feature for them yet i would not say it before we see that it works :D

All the best my friend, God bless,
    Bogdan

JasonJ, M.Hatfield and kairo like this.
  44. snowmangoinmo

snowmangoinmo Hunter/Tracker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sweet, I like this for sure!

M.Hatfield likes this.
  45. kairo

Blog Posts:
    That sheath is really clever, I don't think I've seen one quite like it! Very cool

46. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I love the idea of a small wharncliffe blade, I have found that to be an incredible useful shape for general utility use. Scandi grind is a big plus in by book for wood carving as well.

I love the loss of the prototype but could almost imagine it with a slightly shorter handle, not sure about that and would have to play with one a bit in person to really decide.

I would also love to see a very slight bit of belly int he edge, which would make it more useful for carving, when employed to do that, without reducing the utility end of things I think.

Very exciting project and the package of knife, sheath, and micro fire steel make it even more so!

M.Hatfield likes this.
  47. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Very clever sheath system. Maybe the blade can be offered in a reverse edge grind as an option for a more traditional style blade if you follow what I mean. One version in the wharncliffe style and the other version is the same blank, but with the "spine" side now ground to create a traditional up swept point with some belly. That way the same blank can made into either a wharncliffe or up swept blade depending on the buyer's choice.

48. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I didn’t read all of the comments, but I see you want to pair the blade with a firesteel. So does that mean the spine of the blade is sharp? Is the rest of the handle going to be rounded over for comfort?

49. BogdanS

BogdanS Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Thanks boys!
    @Primordial - you read my mind brother - as stated there will be 2 types of Micro blades offered - first the wharncliffe blade and if everything goes smooth and the market will enjoy the project the 'traditional brother' will be available too ;)
    @Pastor Chris - this will come with the blade mentioned above brother ;)

@Kona9 - my dear friend, another mind reading man :D - i would not say rounded yet 'not sharp at all', all handle till the blade (that will have a fully sharped spine for the rod) will have the edges micro beveled; there would be no need for a full round as being a small blade power cutting gets out of it's purpose. I tested all aspects like a mad man, i love so much this blade setup that i spent much more time testing, retesting, destroying, redoing that i have ever planned :D

All the best, God bless,
    Bogdan

CowboyJesus and Kona9 like this.
  50. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like this! I too would want a sheath with my knife. I do not have a neck knife as many seem to tactical looking to me. This one looks nice.