Military canteen cup stove

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by BlueDogScout, Aug 11, 2019.

1. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Where is all the shelf stable bacon??? Supporter

Blog Posts:
    okay, I’m going down the esbit stove rabbit hole. I have been reading articles and watching videos. Now I want to build a kit. I want to have a kit build around my heavy cover canteen kit in my mother carrier. I bought some esbit stoves, but then I read they are very inefficient. I have been reading the esbit stove thread and it seems well used and loved. @zelph is sending me some stuff to help and I thank him. With what he is sending I think they will increase my efficiency of fuel burn. Now I need a pot stand and windscreen. Would the military canteen stove function as both? I’ve been reading that you want to wrap the heat around the pot. Even if I use the military canteen cup stove as a pot support will I still need a windscreen? I will clarify that my goal is to dry bake with one cup, boil water in the other cup. Many of my meals are soup or pasta or rice. If it’s not the heat required to boil will be enough for what I need. Thank you all!

2. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    the 'old' style USGI canteen cup 'stove' was made for use with Triox tablets. I use Esbit tabs held by 1/2 of a mini-Altoids tim and it works well enough.

[​IMG]
    there is a newer version of the canteen cup stove, never used one, so cannot say.

Since the US .mil has moved to bladders for an issue item, IFAIK, any canteens carried is an individual choice/purchase.

[​IMG]
    I've seen these, which I believe to be a commercial offering.

Or you could use a regular Esbit stove with a slight modification
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then you are not limited to just a canteen cup - as is the case for the purpose built cup stove/stand.

3. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. Yes I was thinking of the old school style (the first one) due to its nesting ability I was leaning towards it. The newer style lacks some ability in my mind. IE alcohol stoves, wood burning etc. your 3rd photo is the GAK stove. I have seen it but with it a windscreen would definitely be needed. My hope is to reduce adding a ton extra gear. If the old school stove will burn esbit efficiently (I want to boil or bake with one cube) without a windscreen then due to nesting it will be the round I go. If a windscreen is needed still. (I want that 50 burn out of one tablet people talk about) then I will go with a windscreen and use tent stakes as pot support. I have thought about doing the esbit mods, that is why I just bought two esbit stoves but as I went further down the rabbit hole people say they don’t do as well as other options. I also understand that then I’m not limited but my kit is centered around two canteens and cups so I’m not too worried. Eventually I want to heat tea in my Sierra cup and cook in with mors pot but that’s future planning for when it’s more than just me or really cold.

bacpacjac, Bobsdock, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have 'boiled' water in the canteen cup/stove and have a setup using just that.

You are not going to bake anything with a single tab - using a 'gram cracker' inspired burn retarder (seen in 3rd photo) I can get a burn from one tab of about 15 mins. You can heat soup, warm up things and so on.
    A USGI canteen cup holds ~2 cups of water (1 pint or 500mL) - that's a fair amount of mass to heat with an Esbit tab

The manf says - "Esbit 14-gram solid fuel tablets burn about 12 minutes each and up to 1300°F (760°C) with each tablet able to boil 500 ml of water in about 8 minutes.'

The physics of the thing is the catch - a canteen cup has a small bottom in relation to height/volume. A kettle with a wide bottom and 'short' top/height is much more efficient for boiling. A cup cover (I have one of the "Heavy" models) makes a big difference as well. A square of heavy foil works well as a cover and weighs very little.

My canteen and stove/cup are carried in a Tactical Tailor MOLLE case. I can put the Altoids tin and several Esbit tabs in the side pockets. TT made a canteen case with a large, single side pocket that will hold an Esbit stove nicely.

Good luck, the USGI canteen and cup/stove is a piece of solid kit and is limited only by your imagination....

5. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ah just get rid of that Mother stuff you're trying to piece together and get yourself a BCB Crusader cook set. Comes in Anodized alum., too.
    Everything you need.
    bcb.jpg

;)

6. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:
    I grabbed this post I made over at another site - about Esbit tabs

Well, it snowed today. So, it was good and chilly outside. Set up the Bushbox stove to use an Esbit tabs (large vs small).

Set the tab on a small square of al foil, rolled just a bit to make a lip. Otherwise, as the tab burns, the liquid will drip thru the holes and be lost fuel. A top from a Altoids mini tin works well for this task.

Setting the tab on it's 'side' - that is to say, thin side down. Lit it off and set my GSI SS kettle on top with 2 cups of water inside. ( This is how the tab is shown in photo 3 of my OP)

The tab burned nicely, and bloomed - the flame stayed mostly inside, with some going out thru the top hole set.

2 mins in, the water was 100 F
    4 mins in, the water measured 160F
    6 mins had good bubbles on bottom and at 7 mins, a full roiling boil.
    Thermometer is accurate, the kind used to measure water temps in restaurants.

The tab burned out completely at just under 9 mins, because I had set it on it side, burns shorter, but hotter....

The pot trivits (the bars across the top surface, were glowing red hot by 3 mins in.

So, with Trangia, Wunderbar.
    Using Esbit tab, more Wunderbar.

The point being the kettle is very good at boiling water, as it was designed for just that....

The GSi SS kettle - a very nice bit of kit, but not the easiest to pack...
    [​IMG]

7. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Agreed and thank you for the detail. It’s similar to years I spent with esbit tablets. I’m seeing videos and posts of hour long burn times and etc. I’m wanting to get that. I’m not looking to change my kit just add a stove set up that makes sense and is efficient. I know there are plenty of set ups and methods etc. for this post I just want to focus on the military canteen cup stove to better know if it will help. At $10 I can order two, nest them and should be fine. I just want to make sure they will work as I am hoping. Not wanting to try other outs or pans or setups for cooking other than a stove that will work with the setup I have. If the esbit tabs can’t be used for baking and long burn like so many websites and videos say then I am back to the drawing board. Maybe I’ll just do alcohol stoves with the canteen cup stove, who knows. Again though even fuel aside I want to focus on the military canteen cup stove and the heavy cover canteen cup.

8. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Also, I don’t want to seem rude on the last post. I appreciate your posts and detail. I just want to stay focused on the military canteen cup stove to know if it’s what I need, preferably with esbit tabs.

9. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Are you stuck on Esbit tabs?
    If not, check on the BCB Dragon fuel tabs.
    You will need a container to burn the fuel in, such as some heavy duty foil.

10. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Not necessarily... the big focus right now is a stove. Something simple, few parts and spartan in design. I won’t use the setup often, only when I can’t have an open fore or its way too hot. I want to be able to use solid fuel as a primary fuel source. I want flexibility to use sticks or alcohol stoves. I am fine trying a multitude of fuel sources. I just want to find a stove setup that works well with a canteen cup (the heavy cover specifically) and will easily fit in my mother setup.

11. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Please check them out. I really like the fuel cubes and stove. It is a bit larger than an Esbit stove. I also have my old canteen cup/stove from over 30 years ago.
    May have to do some experiments myself.

12. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I second the Fire Dragon fuel cubes!

And I suppose it's possible, but I've never seen an esbit tab burn for an hour. Mine have maxed out at about 13 minutes, and even then the flame was too low to be good for anything. But hey, like I said, who knows? Maybe someone can do it. @Spork or @zelph probably! :)

Still, I don't think it's good for people to get hung up on having to boil water with one cube. If the point is to boil water, does it really matter if you use one cube or two? I mean, It's not like it's gold or something. It's just an esbit cube. ;)

But give those Fire Dragon cubes a try! And the BCB stove is great too. It comes with a small windscreen.

And remember, all these things...esbit, fire dragon, alcohol...are just ways of trying get by with the least amount of weight possible. They're fun to use, but nothing beats a tiny butane stove like a Pocket Rocket for speed or efficiency.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  13. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    I will check it out let me know how your experiments go!

I don’t disagree t again I would need to carry two and I don’t want to mess with that. I’m probably being picky but this set up will be for twice a year if that.

14. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This one does nest. It can be used with almost any pot too.

[​IMG]

I use Coghlan’s tabs. Easier for me to get.

15. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

And I've yet to open a package a cracked Coughlans.

16. Calicoast

Calicoast Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just received the Hard Anodized one from Delta Gear Inc. that nests. Will report back after use.

17. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The USGI cup stand was not designed for efficiency. A greater concern was low light signature...that's why Trioxane fuel burns blue. Not a big deal when Uncle Sam footed the bill for the Trioxane, you burned as many bars as you needed to. Most of the heat gets blown out the side vents and does not make contact with the sides of the cup. The stand does not actually provide enough space with the cup inserted for efficient burning, the instructions say you need at least 2" from the bottom of the cup to the fuel. This can be done by scraping out a shallow trench and straddling it with the stand.

A common solution (and one that works well) is to raise the cup on the stand, which allows for more draw and the heat to wrap around the cup. You do need a proper windscreen with any low powered fuel...tablets, gel fuel, liquid alcohol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've used Zelph's Esbitmizer setup...but it's usually one full tablet to boil, then push the second tab forward and close the lid a bit for simmer. It is doable, but I find you have to pay constant attention and fuss with it a bit. I prefer just lighting and letting it do it's job without the fiddling (and select food items that the Esbit can handle). If one tablet doesn't do it...then I add more fuel. That's why I burn mine in a tin that can snuff out and store excess fuel and carry a box of 4g tablets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was Lipton's Onion Soup mix, a handful of lentils and diced kielbasa...on less than 4 Coghlan's tablets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DavidJAFO, MrFixIt, bacpacjac and 8 others like this.
  18. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    I used those in reenacting. No issue with them at all.

Not gonna lie I had to goodly search them out but I like what I see!

Now we are getting to the meat and potatoes! Thank you. So no matter what I want windscreen. I was thinking of making one and doing it so I had pins that would act as pot supports but also lock the screen into the kidney shape of the cup. So if I need a windscreen no matter what is the canteen cup stove worth it? I mean I could build the windscreen for pot support or just use the nail style ten stakes... hmmm... I’ve been googling canteen cup windscreen and there is nothing purpose built but looking over manufacturers DIY videos and websites I think the pins would help. Talking to flat cat gear I guess he used to make a stove and windscreen but the kidney shape was problematic

DavidJAFO, MrFixIt, bacpacjac and 3 others like this.
  19. Spork

Blog Posts:
    Here's a rig I built specifically for a Trangia burner. The attached windscreen inspired by the Clikstand. The ideal was to have lots of draw so the burner did not overheat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DKR, DavidJAFO, MrFixIt and 10 others like this.
  20. Spork

Blog Posts:
    GI Hobo stove made from a canteen cup and cup stand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DavidJAFO, MrFixIt, bacpacjac and 7 others like this.
  21. Spork

Blog Posts:
    This is the Flat Cat Isoclean Canteen cup stove. It was made to burn rubbing alcohol with very little soot. I have no ideal how Jon Fong figured that out, but it works as stated. The flame pattern is butterfly to fit a canteen cup.

[​IMG]

I actually prefer the French canteen cup and stove to the USGI. The bonus with the French stove is that it works as a stable base for a Supercat. I tweaked the hole size and pattern to do a butterfly flame. The genuine surplus French stoves have pretty much disappeared, not sure if the clones being sold now are the same dimensions.

[​IMG]

22. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I’m going to have to ignore you Dave. You have too much cool stuff. :4:

The ‘French’ stove I got off of Amazon (China) nests INSIDE the French cup. I too like the French canteen (larger than US) and cup. But, the new stove does work, just goes inside instead of outside. I think it was made for USGI canteens.

23. Spork

Blog Posts:
    Sorry about that...but somebody poked the canteen cup stove bear...:54:

Re: China "French" stove, I may have to try one out.

24. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Here’s my French setup. It all fits in a USGI canteen cover better than the US one, windscreen and all.

8A193989-591F-455A-A627-6E542E99C31D.jpeg

B73380FA-5CDA-4AD8-B08C-0F026D3C4D2E.jpeg

572D305D-E759-4EE0-BAFC-68D194239B1A.jpeg

11B2F789-A589-423A-82A5-B0DC7B8617ED.jpeg

DavidJAFO, MrFixIt, bacpacjac and 5 others like this.
  25. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    :4:

Are the bars in your Clickstand type stove aluminum?

26. Spork

Blog Posts:
    Yes and aluminum flashing for the screen. The setup worked well, but I did not pursue it because using the simmer ring was very awkward. I probably would have added additional air intake holes around the base of the cup stand.

DavidJAFO, MrFixIt, bacpacjac and 2 others like this.
  27. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Wow! You are amazing. I wish I had the time and talent to make stuff as nice as that, this is very close to what I was thinking....

Again wow

Awesome!

Yea it’s crazy he is my hero

And I’m glad I did! My mind just got mawed to death with awesome!

28. Spork

Blog Posts:
    Let me put this out there...chafing gel or Sterno for sustained burn times. Chafing Gel is cheaper than Sterno - https://www.partycity.com/eco-frien...424326.html?cgid=chafing-dishes-aluminum-pans

You get about 2 hours a can. If burned in the can it comes in, you get about a medium heat. You can adjust to a simmer by partially covering the hole with the lid. Taking it out of the can and burning in an open cup, you get high heat and decent boiling times.

Steam baking on Sterno...note the lid covering the opening of the can in "simmer" mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sterno and Ethanol chafing gel repacked in pouches. Altoids tin used for fuel cup.

[​IMG]

With a GI cup stand you can just place it on top of the can. I might file matching notches on the bottom edge of the stand to lock into the rim...to center and keep it from sliding around. Maybe dig a hole to place the fuel can so the stand will sit at ground level.

29. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Awesome

DavidJAFO and MrFixIt like this.