Mini Rant About Videos

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by Wasp, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you make your own videos please dont take this personally as this is a general complaint about videos in general and not about people here.

I watch videos for information on how to or to better make a decision for a purchase, and some for fun of course. I know not everyone is good in front of the camera, I certainly wouldn't be.

When I do choose a video about something specific , lets use knives for instance, I want facts about the blade, how wide your hand is and a size comparison, maybe a size comparison to another common knife. I dont care about the other knife or how much you like it or how many you have, etc. I dont want to know about your car or where you went over the weekend or where you work or whatever other attention deficit whim you flow off on for ten minutes before getting back to the subject at hand. If it directly relates to the item or subject then fine. I dont mind if you show the specs or facts on a piece of paper.

Sometimes it seems as though even well seasoned people fall far from getting to it and telling you about the subject, sometimes it comes way after the focus of the video even. It would be great if they would write out everything they plan to cover and practice it a time or few first. Making cuts is fine but when you've cut five times in the first few minutes just start over.
    Write down your fact sheet and the points you want to touch on. Read "public speaking" books and they will tell you how to stay on topic. If you think people dont lose interest, how often have you sat in a meeting and the person speaking drags on and you start thinking about lunch, or the weekend, or anything and suddenly you realize you were daydreaming. The speaker lost you because it wasn't something you cared about and then they drug on.

Music. Surely everyone watches a how to or review to hear your favorite song or some elevator music. Lol Often its so loud I cant even hear you or concentrate on whats being said. I can turn on the radio or CD player for any theme I need to go along with the video.

Time. Why does a video with three main points and some specs take forty five minutes to explain? If I'm watching a video in most cases it should be about ten minutes long, fifteen is getting long and five minutes would be great. If you want to play with it or do some more comparisons or whatever, do a number 2 video like Hickok45 does. Yankeemarshall I'm talking to you and so many others.

Make your intros short and sweet. I know it took you like three hours to design that cool lettering and insert stars and twist the text and put in clips, but.....I dont care. :D

Don't ask me to subscribe or share. If its good enough or you even remotely do many of the things I suggested above, I will subscribe and share, it won't even be a question.

Like I said, I'm no pro, I dont even make videos and yes I know it's not easy, I hated public speaking (I can and do but hate it) and dont even like hearing my own voice. But I know what I like to watch and watch more of.

2. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I was watching a video about a knife and the guy shows it and tells what the name is then talks about four other knives, where he went, the shows the knife knife again and was like "thats it". :)

And Yankeemarshall is great except his ten minute videos take almost an hour to sit through. So many more...

Skruffy, Lichen, M.Hatfield and 7 others like this.
  3. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:

I’m going to use some of your points in future videos, I personally never thought of formula or formats... maybe more structure is needed.

My videos tend to be more of my skills progression or practice though...

There is always room for improvements. I don’t think it is a ranting, more constructive criticism.

Thanks,

Jarrod

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  4. Howie

Howie Guide Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    my video my way, watch if you want, dont if you want. either way makes no difference to me.

longhunter, Nakadnu, cellis and 20 others like this.
  5. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Athletic Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't watch many videos.
    Where I live I'm just lucky to be connected at all, so a fast unlimited plan is not even an option.
    But when I do watch I've had many of the same thoughts as @Wasp.

But @Howie makes a valid point too.
    Not everyone is looking to increase their subscriber numbers or sell you something.
    Some guys are just quickly sharing a skill or some information, and that's good too.
    If the content is helpful, I'm willing to overlook the fact that there is no fancy production. All that stuff takes a ton of time, and equipment investment.

6. KFF

KFF Scout

Blog Posts:
    GoPro (or similar) and a computer. Preferably some kinda tripod type thing is useful, but not absolute.

7. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Valid points, but you have to realize your reason for watching and the video maker reasons for making may not be aligned. If someone is trying to make money on YouTube, they may be trying to stretch the content rather than the short and sweet to the point.
    Try CC when watching a video, I'm more amused at how it misses the content sometimes. At least I don't have to listen to someone's choices in music.

8. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    ROFL oh that's a flashback. Not video but sales. I sold computers and fielded customer questions. Typically of a tech support nature. Example. "Hi there, how can I help ya." "Well I have this computer ya see. Lorna my sister from Saskatoon gave me for my birthday. I think it was 43rd I've lost track. Anyhow it's a big old thing. Box on the floor tv on the desk. Why do they make them so big anyway? I've banged my knee on it more than once. Oh... right why did I come in here again? The domahicky that moves the arrow." After a lot of patience. I might say. "Oh your looking for a mouse Then?" "Why do they call them mice. Great way to creep out people if you ask.. " "please let me show the mice they're over here." "What are you talking about? I don't need a mouse. You salesmen are all alike just sell anything to anyone!"

They eventually got around to telling me they came in for a $4 mouse pad and ate 30 minutes of time to do it. LOL.
    Cheers Jim

gohammergo, Skruffy, Gumbi and 11 others like this.
  9. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I think informational videos should be like a ladies skirt. Long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to be interesting. joe

10. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Bwhahaha! Thank you sir! That was a good laugh!:35:
    Cheers Jim

11. CSM1970

CSM1970 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ooohh... we opened a can of worms here! I love YouTube videos but strain at the points brought up so far. The thing that pushes the hot button for me is when the presenter keeps fiddling, moving, turning, and playing with whatever they are presenting. Put it down and let me see it!!! I did not tune in to see the presenter practice juggling!

12. Haggis

Haggis Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good advice,,,

Most videos talk too much and show too little it seems. The old adage, “a picture is worth a thousand words”, should be taken to heart when producing YouTube videos,,,

Skruffy, J. Pierce, ArmyMacE and 5 others like this.
  13. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I clicked on this thread because it said mini rant.
    About the third or fourth paragraph in I found my eyes drifting back to the TV, then I lost my spot.
    I think the rant could have been summed up in 4-5 sentences with a :mad: at the end.
    ;)

But seriously, I know where you're coming from, Wasp.
    I think a problem might be in the titling.
    I've mentioned before, if I see a video called Lunch by the Stream and it's 15 minutes long and I'm 9 minutes in and the guy is still walking and talking with nary a stream in sight, I move on. Maybe it could have been called A Long Walk with Lunch by the Stream, lol.

A lot probably has to do with my frame of mind at the moment, too. Sometimes I'm a cut to the chase guy and sometimes I'm just looking for something to watch on a subject I like. Some videos keep my attention even if they wander.

Also, if there aren't a lot of videos on the subject... for instance I was looking for info on my new rifle and there aren't a lot of videos out there yet... I can become more critical because I'll watch a video I might otherwise have moved on from. Then it's like, I can't believe I wasted ten minutes on that. He didn't even shoot it and kept losing focus.
    Yeah, that's definitely a large part. The fewer the videos to choose from, the more critical I get of the ones that aren't concise.

Human nature baby. Sometimes we need to let off a little steam.

Skruffy, ArmyMacE, Kreger and 4 others like this.
  14. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    To apply the Wadsworth Constant to any Youtube video, put

&wadsworth=1

at the end of the URL.

Skruffy, Winterhorse, Haggis and 3 others like this.
  15. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Grey Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Perfect

Skruffy, ArmyMacE, Kreger and 2 others like this.
  16. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Personally Id rather read about something than watch a video.

I can read as fast or as slow as I want .

With a video I feel trapped.

craverz, Skruffy, Lichen and 6 others like this.
  17. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    No shortage of stupid in the world = no shortage of stupid on YouTube. :dblthumb:

It's frustrating but I still sort through the junk just about everyday in an effort to try to learn something new. If they don't get to the point fairly quick I just stop the video and move on.

Skruffy, buckfynn, ArmyMacE and 7 others like this.
  18. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Youtube has this neat little feature...
    You can go to the little icon that looks like a gear.
    It is video play speed.
    Play it at normal, 1.25, or even 1.5x!

Then if the rambling is still driving you nuts, you can slide the little time bar dot on the bottom of the screen.

Kenneth, Skruffy, Gumbi and 10 others like this.
  19. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Copy that. Out here in the weeds our only option for internet access is satellite. It’s slow, data limited, and expensive. We quit watching videos. We simply don’t have the resources, and I don’t have enough patience, to sit through a crappy two minute narcissistic intro, forced to listen to music I would never chose, to watch a five minute video that may or may not be useful. I do, however, miss hickok45. Boy howdy, that man does good gun reviews.

JohnP

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  20. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    No Youtuber here but I saw a video once that explained some of this stuff. At the very least, the intro is there to extend the watch time. Something about the algorithm. The longer you watch, the better the results are for the video which triggers better search placement or interest. This, in turn, means better or more ads which results in more money or something to that extent. I think watch time, likes, and comments all play into this.

21. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I don't make or plan to make any videos. I get super annoyed at the younger crowd videographers that talk with their hands! Hands flailing everywhere while the person is describing various scenarios his item/ items may be used in. Get to the point!

22. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Agree with many points above and will add a couple more things that grind my gears. Don't call opening a package and pulling a brand new item out and talking about it a review.

When @NWPrimate or @IA Woodsman do a video, it will be a realistic demonstration of a skill or product, not a speech from the kitchen table. When BCO got the Fat Rope for example, it wasn't 20 minutes of talking about what all it can do, IA threw it in freezing water, pulled it out, and started a fire.....on ice. That was probably the best review video I've ever seen for an outdoors product.

Everyone is different and I don't make videos, but I wish more folks would follow the example of DOING something, not just talk about doing something.

Skruffy, Gumbi, atlastrekker and 10 others like this.
  23. Trailhawk

Trailhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    I may have to consider his complaints. It is valid. On the other hand, some videos target certain audiences. He may have clicked on the wrong channel. Just my 1 cent worth of opinion. TY.

24. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I mean, if you got lots of time to waste and are on mommas data plan or are rolling in the money then knock yourself out. I prefer something more to the point unless its really good the whole way through a video which is rare presenter and subject matter wise.
    Would you rather have somebody watch your video a few times and like it enough to pass it on to someone else to watch or get so bored they go on to something else that is more focused? I can't remember the last time I watched a long boring video more than once--if I make it all the way through the first time.

25. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just got a GoPro, going to start making videos here real soon. I have the same outlook on a lot of videos I see, too much rambling not enough action! I don't talk hardly at all in person (I speak/type more words here in a day than I speak in 3) so it will be almost purely demonstrations :D.

26. CSM1970

CSM1970 Scout

Blog Posts:
    There are a lot of You Tubers who do a great job. On of my favorites is Far North Bushcraft ans Survival. Now Lonnie is not going to win a beauty contest but he demonstrates something useful every time. However, he does talk very slow and I worry about him getting frostbite on his tongue. I tend to avoid most “vids by kids “ and anything that uses the term “unboxing”. Gave up on Wranglerstar; altogether to wordy.

27. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Professionals use a story board. You may not need that, but at least have a plan. Had a Gunny once tell me and some other new ncos something I’ve always remembered about instructing newbies:
    1. Tell them what you’re going to tell them.
    2. Tell them.
    3. Tell them what you told them.
    Seems like a plan.

I never bother with “unboxing” videos.
    If I can’t figure out how to unbox a knife I shouldn’t be playing with sharps. Whittle, baton, filet, butcher. Do something with it.

28. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Date the video is made .
    This should be at the beginning of every single one ,but it's snot .
    "Today" doesn't mean any thing. it could be 10 years ago. with out dating the video, it is irrelevant to "today" .

29. Philly-Billy

Philly-Billy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well put.

That is gold.

30. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    I simply stay away from doing reviews, I don't have an intro, and have not activated the add campaign. Youtube could shut me down any time. I just use my phone to shoot video with and edit also up load, pretty easy actually. I have never written a script or planned out what to say. It probably shows but here is a fun video I hope some of you enjoy. Its short and to the point. I cut out a lot of the yucky stuff so as not to offend some of the sensitive utube viewers.

31. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Only so much can be asked of a free service. No obligation to the video maker or to the watcher. I really dont mind skipping a few minutes at a time on a video to get to the portions that interest me.

On the supply and demand side.. if the videos being made are not being watched then the maker will probably either quit, change the topics, or change the format.... the outlier is those that make videos purely for their own desires and dont care if they are watched or not.

Anyway, good thoughts all around.

32. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    In my case I am contributing my notorious low video viewing count on my choice to not apply the advertising campaign, and not necessarily the content of my videos. As such, it isn't a free service, it is highly promoted and advertised on and the "successful" utubers have to work diligently at promoting their work.

33. Self Reliantist

Self Reliantist Guide

Blog Posts:
    My pet peeve regarding production of media for public consumption :
    VolUMe mATchIng.
    I started my post high school life in broadcast and radio production, with a love of music recording. I learned not to take your passion and make it a career through subjective learning about broadcast politics.
    I went Rail Roading for neigh on 40 years, my hearing is toast.
    Wearing hearing aids isn’t a panacea, you can only treat hearing loss, not cure it.
    Technology has made possible through Bluetooth and WiFi the ability to transmit the audio from devices directly to my hearing devices.
    Mixed blessing when people don’t bother to do even a rudimentary volume match during post production, and, don’t even think about using remote mic.s and wind buffers. They’re cheap enough. One wouldn’t choose grey or pastel ink, and/or turn in a report that had coffee stains blocking the verbiage.
    When the sound is pumped directly to the hearing canal one simply cannot ‘ride the gain’ in a manner that avoids the protection mode that shuts your hearing off for 2-3 seconds. Very annoying!
    Steps off soapbox and fades into the background din . . .

Norm

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Skruffy, Winterhorse, Broke and 3 others like this.
  34. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, @Wasp. I would much prefer viewing photos here than videos. If it's more than 5 minutes, I'm usually out.

35. Bullhed78

Bullhed78 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Joe for the win!!!!

Skruffy and Winterhorse like this.
  36. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My attention span is about 5 minutes... and I'm an older guy...

Be brief, be brilliant, begone. My favorite youtube channels are that because they're brief, brilliant, and done.

They post something new/interesting every week at least, have thought it through, have the stuff they need on hand, in order, cut to size already, whatever... the DIY part flows. narration is pertinent, volume is good, no wind noise, no excuses...

and no commercials.

The sole exception to the "brief" part is the squirrel hunter channel... i can watch squirrels get shot for as long as he can make a video (typically 30 minutes).

Lichen, Skruffy, Winterhorse and 3 others like this.
  37. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    You forgot to mention
    - horrible lighting with white out or everything in shadows
    - shaky camera hands
    - explaining how to do something but the event is off camera or behind the hand
    - camo background which dose not allow the object talked about to be seen clearly

38. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I haven't been watching YouTube videos much lately.

But what is the deal with so many of the knife reviewers wearing way too much hair gel, dark sun glasses, and thick gloves? Just weird IMO. It is like they all go to the same school just learn how to do knife reviews on YT.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  39. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Man y'all's to uptight, just click on another video. No ones claiming to be a pro, them guys make big money at it. Life's too short to worry about the small stuff.:dblthumb:

40. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Move on if you don't like it, there is no one forcing you to watch.

41. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm the same way with that UK guy sniping birds off wires with a pellet gun :)
    Man that guy can shoot.

Seeker likes this.
  42. Doc.

Doc. Scout

Blog Posts:
    I feel your pain brother. I have the same problems with most rants. Doc.

Bad Little Falls likes this.
  43. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    LOL That's funny right there I don't care who you are. :dblthumb: A few years back (and they may still be doing it but I don't watch them anymore) there was a fad where all these guys were showing tobacco pipes wearing the "museum guy white cloth gloves". Stupid as heck! They'd be showing a $50 pipe and handling it like it was some kind of priceless one of a kind museum art piece. :4:

Lichen, JohnP, PAcanis and 1 other person like this.
  44. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I prefer to read, than listen to X minutes of amateur video production.

Modern hardware is cool, and very capable. That does not give Joe Average any inkling of production values. Youtube is not to blame, it is just the vehicle for "MY FIRST WHATEVER I DISCOVERED" vids. It could be good to show their grandkids someday, but it's painful for us to watch them learn.

Likewise, just in case a monkey learned to type with a typewriter/word processor, that does not make them an author.

EDIT: This is in no way directed at @ReallyBigMonkey1

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  45. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I believe this rant is directed at product reviews. Those should be short and to the point. Show the product and talk about it after you have used it. My favorite knife reviews are usually done by guys that have stumps, wood chips and all kinds of things chopped up in the backyard. I personally do not trust the opinion of those that stand in their backyard with a brand new never used knife. As far as video length? Look at Joe Robinets videos. Most of his are over and hour and he is dang near guaranteed over 100,000 views on every video. But of course his are actual camping videos and not reviews.

46. Biker Bushcraft

Biker Bushcraft Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you on all points. My videos are on the long side but I can't seem to cover an overnighter in less than 40 minutes. The few reviews I have done are short and products are in use. (And I am not getting compensated for them)
    There are many channels out there that ramble on without making the point and many that have screwed up sound (my personal pet peave) but there are even more channels turning out great material for the free enjoyment of anyone who wants to watch.

P.s. Reallybigmonkey1, you are one of our favorite youtubers.

47. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I wish you could see the ratio of likes to dislikes before you actually click on the video. It would sure save me a lot of time sorting through worthless YouTube videos...

48. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Many moons ago it was that way at YT. All changed after they went the way of the PC world where nothing less than a positive group hug mentality it accepted.

Lichen, ReallyBigMonkey1 and Gumbi like this.
  49. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Well unless someone gives me some context when they post or embed a video I often don't watch it. Same with linked content with nothing but a link.

JohnP, Lichen and ReallyBigMonkey1 like this.
  50. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brother! And I agree , good camp trip videos have to be long. I've never done any reviews but would do one on products that I paid for and hate. Lol