Mini Rant About Videos

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by Wasp, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Skruffy

Skruffy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I hear ya @Wasp ! I use YouTube to search for specific information/detail about a subject. It has gotten more difficult as time has passed. There are a lot of new people jumping on the 'youtube for profit' bandwagon spewing out content just to meet whatever criteria (I have no clue) they need to meet to get paid.

Fortunately, over time I have built a list of channels that I have found to be sources of credible information, and often entertaining too, several of these channels have been created by fellow BCUSA members. A couple of weeks ago I ran across a thread that had a list of BCUSA members YouTube channels. I'm not sure if this list is being updated any longer. It would be great if it was as I have come to trust the content our fellow members have put out there. :)

2. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh I don't know...
    I used to be a big watcher of JR when his videos were under an hour. More like 20 minutes or so up to 40-50. It seemed like he showed a lot. Now that they are feature length movies I've drifted away from his channel.
    I'm sure his earlier videos could have been longer. Maybe he edited more out? I know they weren't interrupted by 3-4 commercials.

But I'll still watch videos longer than sixty minutes if I'm learning something. Last night I watched some guy build four different fire lays in his yard, making char and whatnot as he went along to use on the next fire. In a little snow no less.
    (BTW, my next fire is going to be that lean-to fire lay ;) )

ReallyBigMonkey1 and Skruffy like this.
  3. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've got a lot of enjoyment out of watching your videos brother, and learned a lot too.

I have to say though, you look like a monkey and you act like one too. LOL :4:

4. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My bushcraft channel is much more laid back content and the videos (though not many) are shorter. My primary channel though mostly consists of "How To" videos so the videos there tend to be longer. It's hard to teach how to build a rocket from the ground up in less than 15 minutes. :4::dblthumb: Seriously though I try to keep my videos on target as much as possible. It is hard to cover a bunch of detailed how to information in a short amount of time though (and I do a lot of editing to keep them as short as possible) and especially since the TBI my brain doesn't work as quickly as it should, so at times I have difficulty wording things. I have no adds on my channel, I make videos to help people... not to make money or to become a Hollywood YouTube star like JR. :3:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. Biker Bushcraft

Biker Bushcraft Scout

Blog Posts:
    To qualify for monetization you have to have 1000 subscribers and 4000 hours of views over the past year. And after you reach, and maintain that level, and are reviewed by youtube for over a month, you start getting paid. For most channels that are around 1500-2500 subscribers that works to a grand salary of around $5 a month.
    I am sure many youtubers get started with grand ambitions of making their living on youtube but the reality is you have better odds of making your living as a professional athlete.

6. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks man! Years ago I was identical to a monkeys behavior but I had to lay off the sleeping in tree videos due to all the hate comments and trolls.

T. Pollock and Biker Bushcraft like this.
  7. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have no limits on video length either if I'm learning something. Mors Kochanski has a video that's 1 hour and 18 minutes of him standing behind a table filled with gear and junk and I bet I've watched it 5 times. He's teaching survival to a search and rescue team in maybe Alberta? Mors is skilled and highly educated so any length video he does I'll watch. Lofty Wiseman has a video that 1 hour 36 minutes and it's pure gold.

8. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    :dblthumb:

9. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well said.
    I want others to watch my vids, otherwise I would not make them.
    BUT.....
    You get what you pay for.
    In this instance, a little fat man filming stuff he wishes to share.

Bad Little Falls likes this.
  10. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yup, you get what you pay for. The adds on utube disturb me.

DixiePreparedness likes this.
  11. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The ads should not be on videos that are not monetized.

Bad Little Falls likes this.
  12. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    No there should not be. I had a video with the radio playing in the background, the utube bot picked that up and installed an add on that video. It must have though I put unaccounted music as a background on my video.