Mini Terava Knives PSK

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by leightyj2, May 13, 2018.

1. leightyj2

leightyj2 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought a mini puukko bare tang knife for fun at the price point of $29. Been using a SET PSK for about a year now and had it rehandled by Michael bear and it is a great size for a neck knife. If you want to go the PSK route without spending over $100, grab one of these puukkos. A few minutes and you can throw a kydex sheath together for it too! Great size and super flat so can fit in a pocket or life jacket or survival kit. It’s big enough to use as a primary knife as well if you wanted to put a handle on it. I’m picking up the mini skrama too just for fun!

C576D626-6970-4207-984C-C57BD1FC30F7.jpeg Not a bad shape and comes with a sharpened spine.

E8CDB146-6F23-4F3E-8156-33D1BB0868E8.jpeg Just pancaked it with kydex and pressed my thumbs in where the handle holes are located. Only took about 15 minutes to make with a heat gun some eyelets and kydex.

D5ABC022-DDB0-4B1E-9AEE-8007451EE516.jpeg
    Here is my SET PSK which is a similar size and highly sought after on the forums but much harder to find.

ArmyMacE, GrowlingBear, DomC and 18 others like this.
  2. woodsmanjohn

woodsmanjohn Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Nice Job!

DomC, central joe and leightyj2 like this.
  3. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks great. Reminds me that I should try and find an ultralight fixed blade that I actually enjoy to carry around my neck again..... thanks for the ideas!

DomC, central joe and leightyj2 like this.
  4. chndlr04

chndlr04 Scout

Blog Posts:
    what a beaut! is that hemp wick wrapped around the set sheath?

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    central joe and leightyj2 like this.
  5. leightyj2

leightyj2 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It’s jute that I soaked in wax. I found the burn time on it is actually insane if you cut off a small piece to use in wet conditions.

DomC, Paulyseggs and central joe like this.
  6. chndlr04

chndlr04 Scout

Blog Posts:
    thats similar to hemp wick. was considering that for my upcoming fixed blade I have planned.

DomC, leightyj2 and central joe like this.
  7. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was looking hard at one of those for an EDC fixed blade before I pulled the trigger on my Mora Pro Robust from Baryonyx, with their full flat grind mod.

How do you like the Terava as a user?

DomC and leightyj2 like this.
  8. Jaeger

Jaeger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got this and the mini Skrama. It's really hard to justify paying more for a "custom" with what you get with these.

DomC, JasonJ and leightyj2 like this.
  9. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Agreed, the custom route really becomes a case of "just because you wanna"... certainly not because you have to.

You can get a TON of functionality in a knife nowadays without spending more than $50. For a PSK knife, I've always thought it should be a knife that is actually usable-or large enough to act as your main blade if it had it (because isn't that the point?). I see people all the time with "emergency" knives that are tiny, so tiny you could never actually use them for more than 3 minutes before getting pissed and tossing it off into the woods. Razor blades and knives with 2" handles won't be fun guys..

A mini-skrama/terava is a great idea.

leightyj2, DomC and Jaeger like this.
  10. chndlr04

chndlr04 Scout

Blog Posts:
    truth. I had a crkt folks minimalist. thought I would love it. when I actually used it and tried to use it for pretty much everything. I hated how small and how it wasnt useful as i hoped for it to be. the fingergrooves were the worst when I would try to use it upsidedown.
    I ended up using it as a pay it forward GAW.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    JasonJ and Jaeger like this.
  11. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Another pay it forward GAW in what you just said.... I was going to buy one.. probably with the wharncliffe blade. Now I don't think I will... those kinds of knives are good as a -second or third option- when your primary is unavailable. I have an Mtech 20-30 (its so cute!) that I occasionally carry as a deep concealed knife, or just for convenience when pockets aren't available for some reason. It's barely, JUST usable. For opening packages, slicing tape, or cutting out coupons, it's fine. For any real "knifey" tasks, you're screwed. You certainly aren't cutting up lunch with that knife or any knife with a short 2" blade. Not without making a mess of things or getting frustrated.

chndlr04 likes this.