Mislabled Ammo

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Gruxxx, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I normally buy my ammo online, but I was anxious to try a new gun that I had on the way and stopped at Walmart the other day to pick some up in .38 Special, since I've never owned a gun in that caliber. I picked out 100 rounds of Winchester white box ammo and a 20 round box of Federal HST in 38 Special +P Micro, just to get me going. I picked up my new gun last night and hit the range after work today. After 50 rounds of target ammo, I split the seal on the HST. You can only imagine my puzzled expression when I opened the box and was staring at .380 Auto ammo. I double checked the box. Do you see anything wrong with this picture?

[​IMG]

It has labels for BOTH .38 Special and .380 Auto! Unfortunately, the .38 Special label was facing the front of the ammo cabinet, and I didn't notice the other labeling or smaller sized cartridges in the box. Here's what was inside.

[​IMG]

To top it off, the round on the lower right has a manufacturing defect with the primer. What the heck, Federal? Walmart certainly won't take this back and I don't own a .380 Auto, so I plan to shoot an email to Federal to see if they'll send me a replacement box. I might also give Walmart a call to let them know they have mislabled ammo on the shelves, but the odds are that I'll get someone who has no idea what I'm trying to explain.

This is actually the second time in my life that I've bought mislabeled ammo. The first occurrence was two decades ago. I picked up several boxes of Remington shotgun slugs before deer season one year. On opening day, I stuffed a couple of boxes in my pocket and headed off into the woods. Around dawn, I loaded my shotgun by feel. An hour later, a nice buck gave me a great 50 yard shot. I squeezed off a perfectly clean shot on him, followed by two more as he ran away. I was positive that my first shot was perfect and looked for 2 hours, but could not find him nor any blood. When I finally headed back to my car and unloaded my gun, I ejected none other than buckshot shells. That explained it! I went through every box that I had bought, and by pure back luck, discovered I had grabbed the only mislabled box to load my gun.

FreeMe, Winterhorse, dial1911 and 7 others like this.
  2. 11C1P

11C1P Scout

Blog Posts:
    Pretty sure that's one the few things wally world won't exchange back. I'd email/call Federal. Let them know you'd love to tell them how awesome their customer service is on this site & others if you post on them. I'm curious to see how they handle it. I've heard of people switching ammo, for that matter, I've caught them in the act. You said the seal was 100% intact? I think those labels would be tricky to peel & reapply without being noticeable. Also most ammo, especially premium stuff is behind glass, I'm assuming this was too?

ETA: They should be happy you weren't some moron trying to force 38 into a 380 & blow your hand off :11: & sue them for a bundle. QC was apparently on a coffee break when that one slid through. I just watched a video of a thug who loaded his 38 with 380acp & tried shooting a person 3X in the head, but the gun wouldn't fire (shocker:rolleyes:).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Oakenhart and Gruxxx like this.
  3. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I thought Wally World took back everything. Certainly something mislabeled, as I'm sure they wouldn't want to keep selling it.

I've only dealt with Winchester on some bad primers years ago. They went above and beyond.

4. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Now you have to buy an lcp2 :)

5. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    .38 shorts?

So at first I was going to say maybe the store you bought at took in some ammo with a trade and tried to resell it. I used to trade unused ammo with my guns when I was young. I thought maybe someone put the wrong ammo back in the box.

After better inspection that is obviously a short .380 box. And if you pull those labels off it would leave a residue and probably wouldn't stick back. So it seems they are infact mislabeled.

At least you got some .380 hst, I haven't even seen that around here.

Would have been bad if you were an amateur shooter though. Maybe not bad but not good.

Anyway, contact Federal and tell them what happened. Tell them it almost ruined or did ruin your trip, and now you have an open box of wrong ammo. Include a picture.

Primordial, Oakenhart and Gruxxx like this.
  6. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely I've never done it but have read some reports of people calling/emailing and getting a free box of ammo or three and swag.

Oakenhart, Gruxxx and PAcanis like this.
  7. 11C1P

11C1P Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sounds right to me! :D

8. Gruxxx

Blog Posts:
    @11C1P , Yes, it was behind glass with the seals intact. I had to flag an employee down to get someone authorized to unlock it for me. The labels didn't appear to be tampered with.

@scottman , Lol, No! I like to limit my calibers and caved on .38 for a revolver only because 9mm moon clips make me cringe. ;)

11C1P, dial1911 and scottman like this.
  9. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Lol ! It shouldn’t be hard to get rid of imho if you know a guy who needs some 380 and likes that round

Gruxxx likes this.
  10. Gruxxx

Blog Posts:
    Oh, I'll make someone happy with a free box of HST. :) It's no big deal, stuff happens. I'm just struck with the oddity more than anything.

11C1P and Torrin like this.
  11. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's not a little mistake.

Oakenhart, FreeMe, Primordial and 2 others like this.
  12. dial1911

dial1911 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    With a polite explanation and possibly the sales receipt, I'm pretty sure Federal will make this right. Darn sure isn't worth it to them to lose a customer (and everyone who reads about this) over a $20 box of ammo. But that's just my opinion.

I've never had to return ammo. Really interested to hear about the manufacturer's response- I think the mislabeled box plus the mashed primer is more than enough reason for them to make this right.

Make sure to link this thread in any email to them.

11C1P and Gruxxx like this.
  13. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'd hold out for a Glock 42...that ammo is expensive. ;)

dial1911 and Gruxxx like this.
  14. 11C1P

11C1P Scout

Blog Posts:
    By the looks of that primer & all the other problems with it, I'd just pull the bullets, dump the powder, punch the primers & start fresh.

Gruxxx likes this.
  15. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have to say that if I bought that box from Walmart, they would take it back or have a new manager before I got done with them. Take it back, and insist on replacement at least. If they say no, get the manager, if (it) says no, go up the ladder. This is not something insignificant. It could kill someone if it happened to be some ammo that would fit and be too powerful. It is on Walmart and Federal to FIX this. It is not something to trifle with.

Gruxxx likes this.
  16. dial1911

Blog Posts:
    I definitely agree that mislabeled ammo is a serious safety problem, but I can't really blame Wal-Mart for this one... that box label shows a "micro" semi-auto on the top left corner, mentions .380 Auto on one side of the ammo package, and still says ".38 Special" on the end of the package... this was a serious manufacturing goof.

I don't have anything in this, but I'd put the blame squarely on Federal and tell them to fix it. I'd also alert the local Wal-Mart, and possibly higher up the ladder, to be sure someone knows they have at least one bad box, if not a whole bad shipment, of ammo that is darn sure dangerous.

Plainsman, Gruxxx, AdamD1776 and 2 others like this.
  17. 11C1P

11C1P Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree, not walmart's fault, but they should do a check on their Federal handgun ammo at a minimum. They have signs up saying no returns on ammo & it makes sense as people could use returned ammo they've tampered with to hurt someone. Wouldn't put it past anti-gunners to do something like that if they started allowing returns on ammo.

18. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yes, that was my point. This may not be an isolated box of ammo, it could cost a lot in misery and money for Walmart and Federal if it isn’t cleared up.

Gruxxx, 11C1P and dial1911 like this.
  19. fuzz stick

fuzz stick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I bought a large batch of 10 gauge 3 1/2" magnum ammo made by federal. While shooting, one just didn't feel right. On closer examination the dimensions were clearly for 12 gauge 3 1/2" mag ammo. One might conclude that a 12 gauge round simply got placed into the wrong box. Not so. On the case head...it reads 10 gauge. I haven't examined all the ammo but will certainly look over it with caution.

20. 11C1P

11C1P Scout

Blog Posts:
    Getting pretty bad when I'm starting to trust certain foreign ammo manufacturers more than certain U.S. ammo manufacturers. I think for so many years people were buying ammo as fast as they could make it & stashing most if not all of it away, the U.S. mfg's have let their QC slip to potentially dangerous levels. I also remember on a gun show well into the ammo shortage two big wigs, one was from hornady iirc & the other I can't remember, but they were laughing right on the show talking about the ammo shortage is a myth, cause SEE, they have PLENTY of ammo, even 22LR & they were going to have gun shooting it all up. Talk about living in a bubble & not relating to your customers, these morons were clueless. I suspect many of the higher ups are like that, the fact that a few of them got in financial trouble a few months after Trump took office speaks volumes to that IMO.

Gruxxx likes this.
  21. Toytech

Toytech Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would send the pictures to federal , they at least should know the difference between 380 auto and 38 special because the people at walmart certainly wont . Is there a batch number or quality control number on the box ?(might be the small number on the side that says 380 auto) If there is make sure they get it then they can check their records and follow up on their end and make sure that other suppliers dont have ammo on the shelves with 2 miss matching labels from that batch .Heck if you google the 38phst1s number from the 38 special label it brings up the correct 38 special ammo on their website in a totally different box .

FreeMe, Gruxxx and AdamD1776 like this.
  22. Gruxxx

Blog Posts:
    Well, that was easy. I called Walmart this morning to learn the sporting goods manager was on vacation. The woman I spoke with, however, told me she used to sell ammo in a sporting goods store and could understand what I was talking about. She was very appreciative of my call and said she was going to head straight back to examine the rest of their inventory and get it off the shelves if there was more mislabeling. She re-iterated, though, that Walmart does not accept ammo returns, period. She was almost surprised when I told her I understood, and said some people would come in there screaming. Meh, I lack both the irritability and the "I want to speak to a manager" haircut to get worked up over a $24 box of ammo.

Next, I called Federal. The person I spoke with acknowledged they have a labeling issue with this ammo and even had a sample box on his desk to reference as I was describing the issue. They're going to send me a replacement box today. He asked if I'd box the mislabeled ammo up, write ORD-M on the sides, and set it outside for them to have a carrier pick up tomorrow. No problem.

I have no idea if there will be a formal recall or not, but maybe look closely at those boxes before you buy, fellas.

Plainsman, 11C1P, Oakenhart and 5 others like this.
  23. dial1911

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad to hear that worked out... sounds like it was basically easy to get fixed.

Gruxxx likes this.
  24. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  25. Gruxxx

Blog Posts:
    @werewolf won Agreed. This issue was an easy catch, at least. Mixing +P with standard would be a harder catch. At least neither were the heavily overcharged varieties that cause kabooms you sometimes read about., although +P is dicey in the wrong gun.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Oakenhart and werewolf won like this.
  26. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My limited experience has shown most ammo related companies are great on customer service and I wasn't surprised that Federal made it right. But I'm also glad that your Walmart had people knowledgeable and responsible enough to see it as a safety issue and also want to address it. Thumbs up all around (except the initial mistake).

dial1911 and Gruxxx like this.