1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

MOLLE II Rucksack for Tall People?

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by grendal, Sep 11, 2017.

1. grendal

grendal Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sitting in my tin can, far above central ohio
    i am tall, 6'8".
    most normal things don't fit me.
    i have a 22" torso length according to REI.
    i am looking for a winter pack to carry my oversized wiggys sleeping bag in, and i like the military Molle II gear.
    Anyone around my height using this pack comfortably? am i too tall for it? should i eat the twizzler i found in my back seat?

thanks in advance.

Wasp likes this.
  2. MarineAir

MarineAir Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm shorter than you at 6'2 but i've got a 20 or 21 inch torso according to the same measurement. The ILBE, FILBE, MOLLE and ALICE frames are all painfully short. I've used 3 of the 4 extensively at work and they provide zero shoulder lift. I did figure out a way to rig load lifters (pictured) to the lid of the FILBE and it would work well with the pack fully loaded, but otherwise its just a plastic frame nearly the same size as an alice. I'm referencing the 1606 AC frame which is dimensionally and functionally similar to the MOLLE II. I have bought the Alice and FILBE frames for personal packs, but not with the intent to walk very far, I hike some shooting gear in maybe a half mile once in a while with those packs. I like military gear but if I'm going to walk a long distance by choice with a winter loadout, its a Gregory Baltoro. Good luck with your search.[​IMG]

crewhead05, NattyBo and grendal like this.
  3. NattyBo

NattyBo Bon Vivant Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For sure, eat the twizzler!
    If you like military rucks, at least give the CFP-90 a look. It fits a long torso'ed 6'2", 48"chest guy like me very nicely, was designed for cold weather(big) gear, ALICE and MOLLE capable, comfy, good pocket configuration, huge ruck (about 4,000 cu in), and internal frame. Get a real one and not a copy.

grendal likes this.
  4. Wasp

Wasp Supreme Knotter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have an Airforce issue Molle II in ACU that was my cousins actual issue, he bought a second so this one is practically new. He gave it to me. I've considered selling it but I'm scared of shipping costs. Lol

I'm 6'3" (6 2.5+).

I actually like it, how it fits and supports the gear. I haven't used it in the field but I've put it on loaded and it felt pretty comfortable.

NattyBo and grendal like this.
  5. grendal

grendal Scout

Blog Posts:
    thanks for the info! i like hearing hard use reports for gear. excellent idea with the load lifters!

twizzler eaten! it was stale and delicious.
    ive not heard of the cfp-90. it looks ideal. im going to have to try and find one at a gun show.

6. grendal

grendal Scout

Blog Posts:
    get out and brake that pack in!

i usually have the issue of the waist belt being a belly button belt on most packs. ive had a hard time finding the molle ii acu pack locally.

7. Megalos

Megalos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm 6'5" and my ILBE seems to be long enough. There are velcro pads in it that allow you to adjust the length to your torso. But they are heavy all on their own.