mono pod on a pistol?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by .356luger, May 14, 2019 at 8:18 PM.

1. .356luger

.356luger Scout

Blog Posts:
    does anyone know of any issue putying a monopod on a pistol? i checked atf regs the best i could at lunch and didnt find anything. It looks to be a grey area in the books from what i can tell. you can 100% use a bipod and from legal terms in their own words it wouldnt change the pistol into a two handed firearm? infact it would assist in single handed shooting even if you braced your off hand on it.

2. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    DO NOT attach it. Otherwise it is ok to use a support under the gun.

Cwlongshot likes this.
  3. .356luger

.356luger Scout

Blog Posts:
    why? a purpose built and manufactured monopod with hieght adjustment? not labeled or manufactured as a forgrip which AOW's a pistol not that the 5$ is bank breaking. why would a 4 inch bipod with a few rubber bands keeping the legs from deploying be any different?

a monopod is designrd to support the chasis of the firearm same as a bipod or tripod?

edit: obvioulsy this is a question for the fellas with blue jackets with yellow letters but if a brace is fine why wouldnt a monopod be? there is no specific verbage forbiding it that i know of.

4. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you need to ask the "fellas with blue jackets with yellow letters" to get the answer you are looking for. Given the climate of the day where functional is viewed by some as "tactical" or "assault weapons", the added benefit of "stability" may not be worth having to argue a case in court, or the resulting consequences.

Moe M. likes this.
  5. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    shall-not-b-infringed-atf-damn-i-wish-l-35401977.png

Honestly I wouldn't attach it for several reasons. One being that you lose the primary reason to carry a pistol: namely ergonomics and ease of carry.

However, as a certified armchair lawyer, I would say that anything you can wrap your hand around completely probably qualifies as a foregrip.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  6. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    612A847C-9D28-4792-BFC7-8FCE6A08B042.jpeg CBF18F83-8502-4E06-80D9-CE94473EA2DE.jpeg I have been taking a “monopod” with a pistol for almost as long as I can remember. Ooh I also call it a walking stick and very good defensive tool if you learn how. :dblthumb:

I wouldn't hunt with a hand gun without it.

But attaching anything to a handgun that you can grasp is a forward grip THAT HANGS BELOW YOUR CLENCHED FIST. Can be argued to be a forward grip and likely would have you a ward of the state should you get caught.

CW

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 2:02 PM
    NevadaBlue, Paulyseggs and Lichen like this.
  7. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I’ve wondered about a sling sing too..., but a walking stick spear etc seems to be a much less grey area legally

NevadaBlue likes this.
  8. .356luger

.356luger Scout

Blog Posts:
    reckon ill just ask them their definition. (here comes the run around im sure) couldnt you rest your hand on a bipod and a .460 s&w performance shop revolvers bipod?

NevadaBlue and Wasp like this.
  9. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  10. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Can't remember the last time I ran into an ATF agent. I follow the law, but some of it gets beyond silly.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  11. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Some really off the wall things we have to put up with are because someone ‘asked’ and then they decided to rule against it. IMO, don’t ask. And don’t break the rules. Just use a support that isn’t attached. Sigh...

Wasp likes this.
  12. .356luger

.356luger Scout

Blog Posts:
    i think you took that wrong, im asking their definition. not what i can do just their definition of what is legal to do in their written "policy"

i can, spring break daytona circa '05 sneaky folks....