Monthly Project - November 2012

Discussion in 'Monthly Projects' started by buroak, Oct 5, 2012.

1. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    We’re going to do something a little different for the November Project. I want to name the November Project, “Get a Kid Involved in Bushcraft”. Rather than have some projects to vote on, I want us to work on this one project. I want us to build a miniature log cabin scene or home/farm scene. This can be just a simple little log cabin to a whole village complete with several buildings, fences, barns, or whatever else would be on a farm or village. It can be embellished with little trees, bushes, grass, anything made of natural material. You can use any material as long as it comes from nature such as weed stems, tree limbs, cattail stems or any other plant material. Now, here is where kids come in. This would be an excellent project to introduce kids to Bushcraft. I am giving you extra time on the November Project so you can start collecting your materials. Take your kids with you and start collecting material. If you take kids out collecting that are not related to you, it is a good idea to take another adult with you. We call this two deep leadership in the Boy Scouts. Let the kids help collect the materials and let the kids help build your log scene. (or work on the project by yourself if you want to) If you have kids, get them out of the house and start collecting. If you don’t have kids, ask a neighbor if you can get their kids involved. If you are a grandmother or, in my case, an old white haired grandpa, get your grandkids involved and so on. Above all keep the kids safe! Make sure kids don’t use sharp tools unsupervised. Be aware that many kids have nut allergies, pollen allergies, and other allergies that can hurt them so consider this ahead of time. My oldest grandson, for example, has bad allergies to nuts so I have to be carful where I take him. I have to carry an EpiPen and know how to use it. It would be a good idea to carry a first aid kit with you. Also, keep kids out of poison ivy or other poisonous plants. It would be a good time to point out what these plants look like so they can identify them themselves and stay out of them. In other words, make sure you know ahead of time what a kids medical needs are and be prepared to deal with them. Once again, above all, keep kids safe. Use your imagination and have fun!

I am working on a log cabin now to give you an example. As I make progress on it, I will take pictures to show what can be done. I’m using goldenrod (Solidago sp.) stems so far on mine. For glue, I am using Tacky Glue and Shoe Goo. The shoe goo works very well but you have to work fast because it sets up very quick.

Here’s my log cabin so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rlh2

rlh2 Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very nice!

3. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My log cabin is progressing. When I get the roof on, I think we will be able to move in. My wife says she is getting tired of living in the tent!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MiddleWolf

MiddleWolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I bet the wife stays in the tent until you fill in the windows and chink all the wind tunnels in those walls.

5. central joe

central joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    a really good idea. i spent time with mine building fires and hikes. they still bring up the stuff from time to time, so i know good memories were made. and i enjoyed it also. quality time. joe

6. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I wonder what happened to the first picture in my first post of this thread?

7. agranite

agranite Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure how I have missed folder before... looks like I have some catching up to do. This sounds awesome I am always looking for new stuff to do and this will do the trick.

Thanks guys

8. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yes, my wife is not very happy with me because it is taking so long! This is the first log cabin I ever built so I am learning as I go! (actually, she will be glad when I get all this stuff off the dining room table!)

9. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It’s November 1st and time to start on the November Project. Read the first post to see what we are doing this month. Here’s how my log cabin is progressing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shingles are made out of cattail leaves.

10. KyJohnny

KyJohnny Scout

Blog Posts:
    very cool idea. I might give this a go

11. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It has really been fun. I wish more people would participate.

12. dragon383

dragon383 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    very nice cabin, but dont forget to flash around the chimney....lol

13. Flash_Gor

Flash_Gor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've.been planing to build scale.model out of our coming loghouse. Don't know if it will never be ready before the real thing though.

14. Brian Beckstead

Brian Beckstead Tracker

Blog Posts:
    love it. very cool.

15. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I must get that done. During the last rain I noticed we had two leaks in the roof also. I have made a new ladder so my wife can get up there and get that fixed. haha

16. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm making progress on my log cabin.

The roof is done.

[​IMG]

The door is on.

[​IMG]

The shutters are on the windows.

[​IMG]

I made a new ladder so my wife can fix the leaks in the roof. haha

[​IMG]

17. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have made some more progress on my log cabin. I started the wood stove. Notice the white smoke coming out of the chimney. Also, my wife has been cutting firewood. It makes me tired just to watch her so I made a chair for me to set in and watch her. I don’t get near as tired now! (I hope my wife is not reading this or I will be building a dog house next. And there I will have to spend the winter!)

[​IMG]

18. TSisk2

TSisk2 Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The smoke is a good touch

I like the smoke coming out of the chimney, it really makes it look cozy. Add some window boxes and let your wife plant some flowers.

19. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Good idea!

20. AEM

AEM Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wow, I had a flashback!

As I read this post I suddenly remember doing something very much like this for a class project back in the early Sixties! I made a cabin out of Lincoln Logs on a sand base contained in a box, and I had fencing, livestock, etc.

I hadn't thought of that in many decades. My children are grown now and I am getting them into some real bushcrafting, but if I can find some young ones I will start this project with them.

Thanks!