Mora Kansbol -A Seriously Underrated Knife

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by LostViking, May 7, 2018.

1. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael LB-42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's a great idea using a shell casing for the ferro rod. I made a loop out of duct tape (bent in half lengthwise to cover the adhesive,) ) and then taped that loop onto the sheath for one of mine but I could see the shell being handy also, possibly as a whistle.

2. icemancometh

icemancometh Stuck in Suburbia Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm diggin it so far. Lots of great ideas floating around here for customizing. I paid $31, seems well worth it.

3. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not really my ideas, but thanks! A few guys on youtube mod Mora sheaths with pen caps, plastic tubes, etc, taped on with electrical tape. I just covered it with jute to make it look a bit more rustic, less plastic. :)

Skruffy, Primordial and MrFixIt like this.
  4. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mine showed up today. Hmmmm.... kinda looks like everyone else's..... go figger.

IMG_5445.JPG

Shaving sharp right from the box, although the edge had just a little bit of "tooth" to it. A few swats on the strop fixed that right up. The first thing that struck me was how much lighter it is than my Garberg. I like the color scheme, I wish they'd done the same with the Garberg. The spine is quite sharp, but since I use a dedicated striker with my ferro rods, I think I'll stone the corners a bit to tame it some. Most of the obvious has already been said, so I won't belabor those points. Looks like a winner at a reasonable price.

Skruffy, turntail, M.Hatfield and 7 others like this.
  5. BushcrafterAU

BushcrafterAU Master Tracker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was debating getting one instead of my bushcraft black for my first knife!
    Now I really want one...

6. trafficjuzz

trafficjuzz Scout

Blog Posts:
    i had the chance to use the bushcraft black recently and imho the kansbol has a more comfortable handle especially if you use your knife in various different grips often :)

7. BushcrafterAU

BushcrafterAU Master Tracker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I certainly like the look of the Kansbol more... It even has a lanyard hole! That's one thing I wish the bushcraft black had.

8. Richinva

Richinva Lover of Sharpened Bits of Steel... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So drill one!

9. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The lightness of it always catches me off guard. Especially if I had recently used some full tang crowbar.

Mine arrived a little toothy too. A few passes on the strop tuned it right up.

Another way I have come to view this knife, is to compare it to my motorcycle experience.

I have ridden BMW bikes for over 30 years. Especially in the early days, when you look over a Beemer it seems a bit quirky. Maybe even a little off. A short test ride only reinforces that feeling.

They are not a bike that a ride around the block makes you fall in love with. Now hundreds of thousands of miles later. They make sense.

The Kansbol is like that. It falls in the gap between the traditional Moras, and the newer Bushcraft Moras. Plus Moras themselves are kind of in their own little gap in the knife world.

On a short test drive.
    The Kansbol seems a bit quirky too. If it was sitting on a table with six other knives. You probably wouldn't pick it. But slide in on your belt for two weeks straight and use it. Suddenly it all makes sense. Like the Beemers, it was built to be worked.

On my bikes, little things that meant nothing in the showroom. Seem genius at that end of a 700 mile day.

What got me here, and how I came to write this whole thing, is exactly that. On the surface. The Kansbol really doesn't ring all the bells. Or even a lot of them.

The lightness is something you begin to notice more and more as you use it. First, it disappears on your belt. When you pull it out of the sheath and begin to carve some wood. The weight and balance are apparent. It isn't a tiring knife to use. It is more like an extension of your hand. (I think this phrase gets used too much)

The grip is kind of universal and not necessarily awe inspiring. But over time as you use it. You begin to realize there is no bad way to hold this knife. The combination of materials, shape, and balance, all conspire to leave me sitting in front of a fire staring at this thing. Even more so when it's raining or snowing. No exposed frozen tang to chill your hands.

The blade shape follows that wonky trend too.
    I mean double grind, come on. I was sure some marketing guy came up with that. But in use it works. Sharpening is a non issue. Because the grind angle is the same. There is just less steel behind it up front.

The blade is pretty thin. I'll leave it to the spec folks to tell me how thin. I really don't know. I find that Scandi grinds work better on thin blades. I also like that I can invert this knife and use the front half as a scraper. Sending garlic, peppers, and onions, off the cutting board to locations I desire.

This has become my own little pet peave with knives. I like ones that I can scape cutting boards clean with. Instead of dragging my sharp edge to do it. Things that excite you really change as you age!

This stainless works more than well enough for me. All I have done to this blade so far is strop it. It will pop paracord, push cut paper (no slicing) scrape my finger nails and shave gobs of hair off my arm.

To be fair.
    I'm not much of a technical sharpening guy. I don't know the angles, the secondary angles, the bevels, or the the sub bevels. Inclusive, exclusive, or abusive means little to me.

I can however keep most of my knives in the above condition with an overturned coffee cup and a strop. So that's good enough for me.

It's low maintenance, warm soapy water to get the food or pine resin off. And we're ready for the next adventure.

Way back when.
    When I was hemming and hawing about my first Beemer bike. I was truly lucky. The owner of the shop had seen it all before. He said buy it. Then ride it for two weeks. He added, "I mean ride it" Get some miles under your butt. If you don't like it bring it back and I'll take it back. I went back, but it was just to thank him for his insight.

That is my advice with the Kansbol.
    Get it on your belt. Get out and cut things. Make feathersticks, build things, Use it in the kitchen, use it in camp. If you don't have a camp. Use it in your yard. Make yourself use it.

No it won't chop like a Nuclear Thorium Battle Duchess. But that NTBD ain't real good at mincing garlic either.

It is coming up on two weeks since we lost our power. I have used the Kansbol as my only knife ever since. I didn't really plan on that. It just sort of happened. It may continue through the weekend. It may go another month. I don't know.

I can honestly say. I think I'm even more excited about it now. Than I was when I started this thread in the first place.

phillyjudge, aaronu, BradGad and 18 others like this.
  10. LostViking

Blog Posts:

I have both. I like the Bushcraft Black. But I see it more as a dedicated wood, Bushcraft knife. Where I see the Kansbol as a general purpose belt knife.

In wood, the Bushcrat Black does a fine job. In the kitchen. The Kansbol blows it away.
    The BB probably has an edge in batoning. I'd say feathers and curls are about a wash. Depending on the type of wood and how seasoned it is.

Both are great knives. But I'm thinking about purchasing a second Kansbol. I'm not there yet with the Bushcraft Black. That should say something.

Well, enough typing and rambling, the Kansbol and I are off to build ourselves some breakfast, and mKe a travel lunch. Then, it's off to the woods for both of us.

Carry on!

Skruffy, CSM1970, buckfynn and 6 others like this.
  11. x39

Blog Posts:
    @LostViking , some good thoughts and analogies there. The thinned down point on the Kansbol looks like it will really shine in the food prep department. Ever try spreading jam or butter with the typical bushcraft/hunting type knife? Thanks for taking the time to write this up, it definitely tipped me over into acquiring a Kansbol, and I can already tell it's a purchase I won't regret. BTW, some good comments on Beemers as well. I've got a 1970 R60/5, and who ever designed that thing had their thinking cap on. It's the only bike I've ever owned that can be spun around in its own length by one person.

12. JasonJ

JasonJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Really makes me want to grab my Kansbol and head out there! Inspiring! I also love that green and black paracord, I need to get some and put a small lanyard like that on mine as well.

It's also universally ambidextrous. When people scream and throw fits about right-hand only sheaths on almost every other Morakniv ... like the Companions/Clippers, etc., the Kansbol (and Garberg too) have left or right hand sheaths.. just flip the knife around! It's a truly great design that is still traditional Scandinavian in style. Pouch style, just durable and waterproof thermoplastic.

Skruffy, xrayit, LostViking and 4 others like this.
  13. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    How 'bout that, never thought about it...

:dblthumb:

14. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    The 110 comes up a lot. So here are a few comparison shots. They are both very cool knives. Similar in some ways, but very different in other ways.

They are pretty similar in overall size,
    [​IMG]

The handle real estate is pretty close. The 110 has a bit more of a contour on the bottom, but not as much up top.
    [​IMG]

Obviously the grinds are very different. I could live without the ring on the tail of the 110. It makes it uncomfortaple for tapping or pushing.
    [​IMG]

Here is where the biggest difference shows,
    [​IMG]

The 110 has a lot more metal.

The sheaths are both real nice. My 110 has the leather option. I like it. Although it is a bit snug, even with the snap open. I'm pretty sure that will loosen up over time.

I have learned that a snup fitting sheath in the beginning equates to a nice user down the road. While one that fits good out of the box often ends up too loose after some use.

I didn't capture it well in the photos. But my 110 has the chamfered spine on top. Basically a 45% micro bevel on each side. You can kind of see it in the top shot.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    BradGad, dreamin, GoKartz and 9 others like this.
  15. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    Here is the 2000 teaching the Andal Tool how to make curls.
    [​IMG]

If Kermit carried a knife, this would be it,
    [​IMG]

16. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    "If Kermit carried a knife, this would be it."
    LOL!

LostViking, GoKartz, Skruffy and 4 others like this.
  17. JD Miller

JD Miller Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a mora 2000

good knife

18. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:
    The 2000 comes in Orange too. There may well be some alternative colours for the Kansbol in the future.....

[​IMG]

19. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    A strange, scary and potentially wonderful thing occurred yesterday.
    I was in one of those "Leave me alone I'm going to the woods" moods.

I wasn't going far. And I have been using the Kanbol for a while now. So I decided it was time. Time for a change of pace. I grabbed my pack and stuffed several knives in it. I didn't go too far. Roughly a 1/2 mile.

This time of year in the Adirondacks it's black fly season. These hungry little guys can be maddening. Clouds of them will swarm you. In your ears, up your nose and in your eyes. Not to mention chowing down on any other piece of exposed skin available.

I was hurrying to build a fire. Nothing huge, just something I could toss some leaves and bark onto. To help discourage the bugs. Before I was done with curls and feather sticks, breaking down some kindling and general fire prep. I had five knives out and in play.

I was shaving on the same stick with different knives, just looking for some comparisons. Batoning, breaking pencils, down to pencil lead.
    I had enough for a fire. But suddenly I was trekking back to the house. I was after the Kansbol. And looking to escape the bugs for a bit.

When I returned a short time later. I got the fire going right off. It's amazing how those nasty little creatures know when both of your hands are busy. They fly right into your eyes. I swear this is the bug version of Divine Wind (Kamikaze). A couple of them take one for the team and fly into your eyes blinding you so the others can feast.

Even the dog was having a tough go of it. He was trying to dig himself a hole in the blackberries to hide from them.

Soon enought the fire was going And I tossed on some smoke generating debris. And there I sat with six knives now. I worked them all against each other. Some really rock at one thing or another. Others are just plain cool. But through it all. I just kept thinking how I have come to admire this Kansbol.

This morning early, I cut some wood before the bugs warmed up. I came in for lunch. The Kansbol made me a peanut butter and frog sandwich. It rocks the PB&F.

For the uninitiated. Frog is Amish Jam.
    Figs,
    Red Raspberries,
    Oranges,
    Ginger.

Great stuff.

I am beginning to come to grips with how much I'm liking this blade. And wondering how many thousands of dollars I could have saved myself had I had this epiphany earlier.

As I worked them. I tried to determine where one was gaining over the other. I had flat grinds, scandi grinds, convex grinds. They all work. Perhaps requiring a slightl differing of technique, but they get the job done.

Where I felt the biggest difference was in the grips. Or the grip I got from various knives. Of course again, this is very subjective. Because no one else has my hands.

A close runner up. Maybe even the winner was a 4" Ben Orford Woodlander. In wood specific tasks, it does an excellent job. And it fits my hand like it was made for me. It had me contemplating the Woodlander/Kansbol Team. Woodlander for all wood realted tasks. Kansbol for everything else.

The Woodlander is an experience. The handle, the blade, the geometry, the balance. Ben dials his knives in extremely well.
    But the Kansbol is almost there in performance. And better at a lot of tasks.

This probably shouldn't be a shocker. In wood the Woodlander rocks. In the peanut butter jar, not so much. In peppers and onions, not so much. Doable for sure, just not my first choice.

More later.
    I'm hoping Memorial Day weekend will offer up some time to get in the woods.

***While I'm enjoying my woods time this weekend. I will build a fire and allow myself some quiet time. To reflect on why we have a Memorial Day. It's not so we can have hot dogs and burgers. It's because large groups of American Soldiers and support staff gave their lives so we can have burgers and dogs.

Let's not forget the sacrifices they made. Please take a moment or three to honor them this weekend.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    GrayGhost, aaronu, BradGad and 14 others like this.
  20. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    That would be a great rescue/SAR knife. Or just for camp. It would be hard to lose that one on the forest floor.

Skruffy, 45jack, Primordial and 2 others like this.
  21. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And here I am...back....looking again.

GoKartz, Skruffy, Luzster and 5 others like this.
  22. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    Mwah ahaha!

Skruffy, Primordial and x39 like this.
  23. x39

Blog Posts:
    Pssst... hey... over here, behind the bush.... come on over, it's okay....

IMG_5511.JPG

Ya need to try one of these.... yer gonna like it...I promise you won't get hooked...

IMG_5512.JPG

Beware the knife pushers, they can be found all over this forum!

phillyjudge, aaronu, WILL and 35 others like this.
  24. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    LMAO! I nearly spit my coffee all over my laptop! H ah hah a ha hah ah hah ah That's too funny! Thanks for making my morning!!!

25. x39

Blog Posts:
    Hey my friend, glad you got a chuckle out of it! Have a good one.

26. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    :D :dblthumb: :p

Skruffy, MrFixIt and x39 like this.
  27. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    How can you resist @Primordial ?
    You can’t, resistance is futile!

28. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    "I Love it!"

29. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    I have been selling and trading some knives. So I have been playing with more expensive knives lately.

Yesterday, I needed to section up a chicken for soup stock. As I pawed through the draw. I grabbed the Kansbol the minute I saw it. Chicken soup on the way.

Today was baking day.
    First some rye rolls in the kitchen.
    Then later some wood fired rye rolls out outside on a rock. The Kansbol rocks folks!

Link to rolls,
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/from-scratch-rye-rolls.226405/

The batch above was baked in a convential kitchen oven.

These were baked this afternoon on a rock,
    [​IMG]

I flipped a chicken fryer over to form the oven,
    [​IMG]

A good showing for a wood fired rock,
    [​IMG]

Couldn't have done it without the Kansbol!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    turntail, BradGad, Skruffy and 12 others like this.
  30. BalsamFur

BalsamFur Not a duck Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just discovered something new about the Kansobol. I've been spelling it wrong. :oops:

Maybe I bought the deluxe model, with an extra syllable in case I break one...

turntail, J. Pierce, Skruffy and 7 others like this.
  31. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    You can buy a vowel!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  32. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:

[​IMG]

:18:

33. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    So I got an unexpected raise at work recently, along with an "atta boy". To celebrate I figured I'd try one hit...you know, one pull on a sheath shouldn't get you hooked right?

100_1459.JPG

Damn you @x39 , @MrFixIt and @LostViking !!!

turntail, BradGad, J. Pierce and 12 others like this.
  34. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    @Primordial don't be sad braw! 15310742332021808580068.jpg it had to be done..

turntail, BradGad, GoKartz and 7 others like this.
  35. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It’s everything a knife needs to be and nothing it doesn’t.

36. x39

Blog Posts:
    Ah yes.... if you like that, step right this way......

37. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the bright side young padiwan.

38. x39

Blog Posts:
    @Primordial ... I forgot to add, congratulations on the raise. I'm sure it was well deserved. :dblthumb:

39. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    Congrats on the knife and the raise.

Put her to work!

Skruffy, x39, buckfynn and 2 others like this.
  40. JasonJ

JasonJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I sure hope I contributed in some way; I've been singing the praises of this knife for a couple years now... It's an amazing all-around camp and field knife.

41. mongo1958

mongo1958 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Skruffy, MrFixIt, JasonJ and 3 others like this.
  42. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    Skruffy likes this.
  43. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    what is the purpose of the dual grind?..

MrFixIt and x39 like this.
  44. x39

Blog Posts:
    I've read it's designed for food prep, specifically spreading things like butter, jam, and liverwurst. In my experience, it works in this role quite nicely.

Skruffy, Primordial, Sandcut and 4 others like this.
  45. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Skruffy, Primordial, GoKartz and 2 others like this.
  46. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
  47. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    ^^^^^^
    In his best Charlie Brown voice he says, "That's It"

I mean who couldn't bond with a knife specifically designed to slice Liverwurst. Mother Goose or Boar's Head. This knife is the best for the Wurst.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    phillyjudge, Skruffy, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  48. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I understand this, but I still wish that the blade thickness was uniform across the entire blade. I was stab-splitting kindling the other night and managed to bend the tip of my Kansbol about 1" -1.5" back from the tip. Wouldn't have happened if there was a bit more beef behind the tip.

Skruffy, MrFixIt and x39 like this.
  49. x39

Blog Posts:
    Well, I'm guessing the knife blade is probably designed more for the Scandinavian outdoors market in general, where woods outings are quite common among the populace but there isn't a real emphasis on bushcraft per se. I mean measuring mine, the blade is only .050" thick 1 1/4 back from the tip, I don't expect much in terms of lateral strength at that thickness.

WILL, Skruffy, Primordial and 2 others like this.
  50. Willem208

Willem208 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Damn. Why do you good people do this to me? I now have three knives to buy. This one, Condor Kephart and Svord Peasant. Too bad I got plenty other things to buy. I already have 2 Moras and love them BTW.

Skruffy and MrFixIt like this.