Mosin 7.62R ammo for whitetail deer?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by David Wittkowski, Jul 17, 2019.

1. David Wittkowski

David Wittkowski Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What's your favorite ammo for 7.62R mosin rifle for whitetail deer?

freebirdfb likes this.
  2. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would think the 150 grain SP offering by PPU would make an excellent deer round.

3. shoggoth80

shoggoth80 Scout

Blog Posts:
    You're probably limited in choices without loading your own.
    Prvi soft point ammo. Prvi in general is good stuff. Shot a lot of it, still buy it.
    Hornady might have some offerings with some of their projectiles, but I'm not positive there.

NWPrimate and freebirdfb like this.
  4. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I’ve used the ppu before in different calibers DAve the best would probably to tuck bullets into gel or cases of bottled water at typical deer hunting distances for you

freebirdfb likes this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    A woman in Alaska killed a record polar bear with a Mosen using ( I believe) vintage Russian military ammo.
    Point being , the shooter has a great deal to do with it.

freebirdfb and Huey like this.
  6. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would find the heaviest load I can...200 grain or thereabouts.

What you want is a bigger, slower bullet, not a lighter, faster one that will damage the surrounding meat with hydroshock.

7.62x54R is overkill for a whitetail on the whole, so you want a cartridge on the lower velocity side. If you can find something in the 150-170 grain range with lower velocity, that should work OK as well.

Of course, it makes a difference whether you are using an M9130 or an M44 as well. The M44 or other carbine will be more forgiving with lower velocity.

Full disclosure: Having never hunted, my advice is theory, not experience....but I have seen a whitetail with a big hole blown in him and bruised and ruined backstraps that was shot with a Mosin. That's the extent of my experience.

freebirdfb likes this.
  7. jackpine

jackpine Fire? I don't see any fire!? Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hand loaded 204 grain SP with IMR 4064 in a Lapua case

freebirdfb and MAD Punty like this.
  8. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I believe the most tried and true method is to simply drop your mosin on the deer as he walks beneath the stand. No hearing protection required, saves money, and the rifle will undoubtedly be unscathed.

9. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is also true with the Enfield rifles as well.
    I prefer to hunt with the ones that still have the bayonet. When the deer gets close enough I affix the bayonet and charge.
    When I owned a Mosin (M44) I used Sellier and Bellot 180 gr. soft points.
    They were about $12.00 at the time. I checked and the price is around $14.00-$15.00 maybe more in other places.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Park Swan and freebirdfb like this.
  10. icemancometh

icemancometh Stuck in Suburbia Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Only SP ammo I have used is Brown Bear 203gr. Acceptable accuracy. I got 5 boxes for free. They were advertised as 150gr sp at Aim Surplus. They ended up refunding my money and said keep the ammo

highlander and freebirdfb like this.
  11. Redbullitt

Redbullitt Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Always loaded my own, but for factory I'd think any typical weight full powered soft point will do the job plenty well.

reloader7.62 likes this.
  12. reloader7.62

reloader7.62 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Hornady 150 gr. SST, PPU 150 gr. SP or S & B 180 gr. SP loads are probably your best bet as those rds. are loaded with copper jacket lead core bullets vs. steel jacket lead core bullets from all the other foreign ammo mfg. Back in the day when I got my first Mosin you were basically limited to Norma SP ammo at around $1 per rd. but there was plenty of brass case surplus ammo and plenty of .311" dia. bullets usually loaded in the 303 British to be had so I just Mexican Matched my own using Speer 150 gr. .311" dia. bullets, still have a couple hundred loaded up in my rainy day stash.
    [​IMG]

These days I just shoot cast lead in my Mosin rifles, I purchased a mold form Accurate Molds just for hunting purposes only I have several others for target shooting or just plain plinking. It's a .314" 215 gr. FN gas check bullet designed to put the smackdown on large game and it shoots really well in my Mosin rifle.
    [​IMG]

shoggoth80, NevadaBlue and x39 like this.
  13. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a few boxes of the PPU 150. It kills deer fine, but once I have a bigger pile of empty brass I plan to find a BTSP of about 200gn and load that over Varget. Both of my Mosins are M39s, so that's what the sight graduations are calibrated to. The Finns used the Lapua D166 200gn FMJ in these guns, but FMJ ain't so great for hunting.

x39 likes this.
  14. longcruise

longcruise Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carried a 91-30 on an elk hunt one year. Leaded my own with some 220 gr SP bullets that I got from a custom swager who is out of business. Never got a shot at an elk but the ammo was the most accurate I ever shot in a Mosin.

Check with some of the custom bullet guys. Most are reasonably priced and have selections not available from the big bullet companies.

NWPrimate likes this.