Most reliable shipper?

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by x39, Sep 8, 2019.

1. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got a relatively valuable item I need to ship (in country) and was wondering what folks experiences here are. I'm thinking UPS Blue 2nd day, insured, signature required on delivery. I haven't done too bad with USPS Priority, but have read some of the horror stories on this board. One problem I've had with UPS is any time I try to purchase more than $2500.00 worth of insurance they blow a gasket. I actually had them refuse to ship an item that I needed insured for $4500.00, in spite of the fact it was so solidly packaged they could have dragged behind their truck to deliver it and not damaged the contents, LOL!
    Anyway, your experience, good, bad, or indifferent, feel free to share.
    Thanks!

2. JohnP

JohnP Only the rocks live forever. Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We recently took a fairly expensive item to one of those places that ship using FedEx, UPS, etc, and asked them which they thought was best. She recommended FedEx, said they are way better at honoring insurance claims and have far fewer problems than UPS. It kinda surprised me, I’ve always liked UPS, but we took her advice and used FedEx. No problems.

JohnP

3. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My UPS Store guarantees the insurance. She said a lot of times they won't pay the claim to the person shipping, so she pays it and gets reimbursed by them. I've never had a problem when shipping through her.

For bigger and more expensive items I go UPS, other stuff I go USPS and just watch it like a hawk, and if it even zigs instead of zags I call the Postmaster. So far so good. I'm watching something now that should have been here Saturday. We'll see.

4. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    To quote a recent meme:
    My company's experience (a $6 billion company) was to fire FEDEX and use UPS. Our driver knows all of his customers; just in our building in the office complex, there are about 10 companies on 3 floors, including some he can't get to, but has to call individual's offices to be let in... and he does it. Don't know how they are about claims... just know they're reliable as heck in delivering.

5. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have had great luck with all three. I use USPS for small stuff because it's convenient even for overseas shipments. Bigger I use FedEx because again just easier for me. They didn't even complain when I brought a crated up engine block into Kinko's to ship out. UPS does have restrictions on what they will insure. Coins, cash, gemstones nope.

6. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    Seems to vary depending on area but for me, USPS priority has always been the best. Their tracking and delivery time has always been better. UPS would be next for me but expensive. Fed EX has been far and away the worst. Very slow. Strange routes. Constant change over in drivers, leaving packages in strange places, unreliable tracking.

7. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Now there's some useful information very pertinent to my immediate situation. Thanks for the heads up.

blind & lost and insector like this.
  8. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think if you can use a priority box with USPS it is a good way to go. A friend i do knife work with ships out 5-6 knives per week for many years now and has had zero issues.

9. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    More than welcome my friend. Good luck with everything.

blind & lost and x39 like this.
  10. bosque bob

bosque bob Guide

Blog Posts:
    My vote and packages go to USPS for two reasons: 1. I want to support USPS; B. I don't have enough money to worry about expensive stuff.

But then I live in the sticks and my place is hard to find. A trip to the PO box is about5.56 miles one way. That's a good thing, I think.

11. 1911srule

1911srule Guide

Blog Posts:
    UPS sucks! They have delivered my packages to my neighbor several times .Also left them at the end of my road next to a group of mail boxes , none of which are mine. We have called and explained we are in a clearly marked residence and they keep screwing up...

12. Noddy

Noddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know my heart sinks when I see the parcel is coming via DHL. Usually means a drive out to the warehouse at the airport ... after repeatedly checking-in with the sender to find out if it arrived in the vicinity yet.

13. Pacer01

Pacer01 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

I couldn’t have said it better. We used to use both FEDEX and UPS at work. Went exclusively with UPS several years ago. Same guy comes everyday, he knows where to go, what office and what lady to pick up the paper work for what area he is picking up his load. He knows them and their family’s. He takes a few seconds and ask how an ailing family member is, how their kids are doing in college, ask how their vacation was. They build a business and personal relationship with the customer. FEDEX was a different kid all the time, not his fault, but never knew the process. They would be short with the ladies up front, because they were always in a hell bent hurry. Right or not, just like at home, things seem to be much better when the ladies are happy.

14. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I've stopped doing business with companies that ship FedEx if that says anything.

15. wallflash

wallflash Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have posted many horror stories about UPS . We absolutely beg vendors to not ship UPS , and now put notes in our orders that if they ship UPS they are disregarding our orders and are liable for loss or damage . UPS simply does not care . The drivers have one goal and one goal only . Get all the packages off their truck. Whether this is at the right place, to the right customer , and undamaged is of no concern to them .

I have witnessed a UPS driver drop a package on the floor and try to force a guy to sign for a package even after he was told they were not the recipient and this wasn’t the address on the package . You can’t get much worse than not giving a crap when told you are not even at the right address but still trying to leave the package and get a stranger to sign for it .

UPS also admitted to me , after they couldn’t locate a package they showed to be delivered and signed for , when the package showed up hours late after the guaranteed delivery time , that their drivers routinely lied about delivery times on guaranteed delivery by x time packages . UPS is bottom of the barrel in my book .

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    blind & lost, chndlr04 and x39 like this.
  16. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have bad occasional problems with all of them. The worst is when eBay ships with UPS across country and then they hand off to USPS at your local PO. The last such event took 9 days from Chicago to Houston. Never again..

17. wallflash

Blog Posts:

My last UPS debacle was with an Ebay purchase . Item was about $500 , and I tried to get the guy to send it USPS and me pay extra . It left via UPS , and I cringed and held my breath as I desperately needed this tool quickly, as we had had the previous one stolen . He had sent it requiring a sig, and sure enough, UPS decides the time to try and get a signature on a package is at 10 AM on a workday when 75% of America is not home . So they leave a note that it is being delivered to a dropbox about a mile away . When I get home at 5 I check their tracking and it’s ready for pickup at the dropbox, so I drive there but it’s not there . I call the 800 number and she confirms it hasn’t arrived yet , but she understands how I interpreted “ ready for pickup “ as actually meaning ready for pickup . It will supposedly be there by 7 , UPS requiring 9 hours to make the mile drive from my house to the dropbox . They amend the tracking to show not yet ready, and I check periodically until 10 PM when I give up and go to bed . At 5 the next morning I check to see if I can grab it on my way to work and it shows to have been refused by recipient and on its way back to sender . I call the 800 number again and ask WTH, and he says “ well , you refused it “. I explode and ask just how the hell a person refuses a package going to a dropbox they never see, and he says “oh”. In the end they are too incompetent to pull it off a truck that has not yet left headed back to Illinois, and I have to contact the sender and make arrangements to pay extra to have it sent back though USPS next day . They charge me $25-30 more, put it on USPS , and I have it in a couple of days no issues, no drama .

I long for the day when I find myself sitting next to a UPS management guy so I can vent for an hour before I am asked to leave the party :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    blind & lost, x39 and CSM1970 like this.
  18. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I hate UPS service, had a delivery of a fairly high dollar item last week that required a signature, paid extra to get a scheduled delivery time slot ... UPS delivered the package exactly when they got around to it and needless to say I was not home ( I needed to be away from the house for 45 minutes) which was the reason I scheduled and paid a fee to get a time slot that allowed me to sign for the package. Fed Ex is marginally better as long as the package contents are not fragile and can take a beating. USPS has always done right by me, I know the drivers and they are always friendly and efficient.

blind & lost likes this.
  19. chndlr04

chndlr04 roughian #2 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    NO UPS! I will go out of my way to make sure it’s not sent by UPS or no business.

Example 1: my mom sent a large well secured package. Sent me a picture. Received the package in a completely different smaller box, half the contents were missing. Would not reimburse.
    Example 2: I see the driver pull up. Was waiting for a expensive item that required a signature. As I open the door, I get hit with the box. Gave me a sorry and walked away. She threw it from approx 20ft away.
    Example 3: at work all of our packages require signatures. I’m off one day and next day I get blasted by headquarters that a packaged was misplaced and I signed for it. I wasn’t f***ing there!

No problems with fed ex.
    USPS is a day slow

20. ATsawyer

ATsawyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't use UPS, FEDEX lost a package, and USPS is 100% with hundreds of packages (mostly tools). I will also say that the shipper bears some responsibility in getting their item to it's destination. You don't stuff two sharp axe heads loose into a cardboard box and hope for the best. You take the time to cover their edges, wrap them tightly together before putting them in the box, and then band the box with strapping tape for additional support. It's the H in S&H that's passed on to the buyer.

21. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We have a couple different offices in my building. We are on the ground floor, so UPS drivers come to our door first. They get angry when I refuse to accept or sign for a package that does not belong to my office, and I tell them they have to go upstairs. I even watched one guy carry the box back out to his truck, rather than go upstairs to the other offices.

x39 likes this.
  22. wallflash

Blog Posts:
    Our issues with UPS have become so severe that we just recently have started having our big orders sent to the supply houses that act as the middle man with the manufacturers, and have them store them and deliver them on their trucks at our request. Any issues with UPS become their problems .

I also have seen UPS drivers get mad that total strangers won’t sign for and accept packages that aren’t theirs and they don’t know the recipient. I had one get huffy and insist that “ one of you guys is going to give me a signature”. With that I told him to eff off and leave , but instead he left the package laying and walked around to others in the building trying to get them to sign . Don’t know if he had any luck or not but he left the package there even though he had been told he was at the wrong address . They simply don’t give a crap . They just want the package off their truck .

x39 and chndlr04 like this.
  23. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    For anything high dollar I would use USPS. I have not had really bad luck with any shipper, save for a few glitches.

I know a guy who sells boat parts. He sends out probably a dozen packages a day, some fragile. He uses UPS exclusively. Said that anything insured for over a grand is hand handled. No running down conveyor belts or such.

x39 likes this.
  24. pheyos

pheyos Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. Nothing more aggravating than the "attempted delivery" exception when I've been home the whole time.

x39 likes this.
  25. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is easy. A corporation, that demands excellence and makes a profit. Or a goverment run entity that operates in the red.

x39 likes this.
  26. LazyPK

LazyPK Guide

Blog Posts:
    The USPS funds itself. No tax dollars pay for it

blind & lost, x39 and wallflash like this.
  27. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    So, I was browsing through the general area here and my eyes saw this thread as "Most reliable Stripper" :) must be getting late....:)

28. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    The usps is a quasi federal agency. Every year they operate in the red. Since 2007, they are over 60 billion in debt. Every year, they get a loan of billions of dollars (tax dollars) to stay afloat. Loans that will never be repaid. Yet they have money to spend on commercials, especially at christmas, telling us they deliver packages and mail. Isn't that what they get paid to do? They operate with advantages, no other company has. If ups or fedex lost billions every year, they would no longer exist. On top of that ups and fedex pay taxes, which usps does not. In my state the motor vehicle agency was run by the state. If you had to go there, for any reason, you had to allocate 1/2 a day. Then it was privitized. Now, you are in and out in 30 minutes. I think this is the model for the usps. This is not a commentary on the workers. They are fine, hard working people that deserve better. They should not have to labor under the worry of loosing pensions and benefits. Deals and promises made, must be honored.

x39 likes this.
  29. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    UPS and USPS are fine. FedEx sucks socks bigtime.

LazyPK and x39 like this.
  30. fatcat55

fatcat55 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was going to say I've had good luck with American Standard 1.0 gallon per flush... then I re-read the thread title...

x39 likes this.
  31. AdamD1776

AdamD1776 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Never had an issue with USPS or UPS. UPS is great because you can create a free account and have packages held at a UPS store for pick-up for free, which is great when something is sent signature required. Fed-Ex on the other hand... I once asked them to hold a package because it was scheduled to be delivered while I was out of town for 2 weeks. No problem, I get a confirmation and everything. Litterally the first day I leave I get a "Your Package has Been Delivered" notification...

Edit: I ship a decent amount of stuff from ebay (most valuable item being about $150), and I always use USPS. Service is good, and the price is reasonable. The only issues I have ever had are with recipients trying to refuse packages and then claim that didn't receive them.

x39 likes this.
  32. Bryan King

Bryan King Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hate FedEx, slowest shipper ever. Have had them deliver packages to neighbor. I'm currently waiting for a package as I type this, supposed to have been here days ago.

x39 likes this.
  33. dial1911

dial1911 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well opinions will vary, but the Post Office is the only one of the "big three" that has ever lost a package I sent (during a Christmas gift exchange too).... And with UPS, I have only had to deal with one insurance claim (car cd changer... circa 2002 or so). It was such a colossal pain, I finally just gave up and ate the cost of the unit.

However, in the past few years, I can't think of any problems with any of them.

x39 likes this.
  34. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    On any given day, they all lose or destroy packages. If FedEx ships 100,000 packages a day (they ship a LOT more ) and have a 99.9% accurate, on time delivery, I would rate them as excellent. So .01% is lost or damaged, thats 100 people who didn’t get good service. They ship in the millions and do not operate at 99.9%. They probably lose or damage tens of thousands of package each day. Lots of disappointed people.

Edit: FedEx ships 3.4 MILLION packages a day with 88% accuracy. UPS ships over 15 MILLION per day with 91% accuracy.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    x39 likes this.
  35. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    My experience may be annecdotal but what I've found is:
    • If it will fit in a USPS Flat Rate Box, those tend to almost never be crushed, ship fast, and rarely get lost. I'd go this route unless your item value exceeds their limits for insurance. If you need to file an insurance claim its like going to the DMV over the telephone. You get automatically denied 3 times and have to fight it for several weeks if not months.
    • If it will not fit in a USPS Flat Rate Box, UPS is more likely in my area to be on time and not damaged BUT it also is the carrier MOST likely to deliver to the wrong address. If you need to file a claim, as long as your polite it's typically paid out rather quickly and effortlessly.
    • FedEx is really hit and miss. Sometimes they are amazing. Sometimes boxes come in looking like they were tossed in a gorilla pin as a toy to bang around. Delivery men AND people in the shipping distribution centers seem to consistently not know what's going on or basic procedures at their work. They are however friendly in their systematic ignorance.
    • Any company outside of the big 3 almost invariably means extremely long ship times, poor tracking, poor communication, and potential for damage.
    What I do on anything of value which seems to consistently help is:
    • Double box everything. The additional reinforcement goes a LONG way to ensure against damage from the mayhem in sorting centers.
    • Ship insured. Any package with any amount of insurance seems to be less likely to be damaged.
    • Ship with signature required. Again, this seems to reduce the likelihood of damage and/or loss. Its almost as if a red flag to potential thieves in the sorting facilities that someone is keeping an eye on that particular package. ;)
    • Make sure that NOTHING can move inside the box when shaken. Pack it sturdy and well padded.
    • Pay extra for some degree of expedited shipping. It doesn't have to be overnight, but bottom dollar general post/parcels seem to be given bottom dollar attention more often than not.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    CSM1970 and x39 like this.