Most ridiculous prepper fad you can recall?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Rich_S, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Daveboone

Daveboone Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used to work in a sporting goods store, highly back pack/ camping / canoeing oriented. Before 911 we had a lot of folks very seriously carefully picking out three or four dehydrated meals, and proclaiming themselves "read". Jeesh. For the same money they could have bought enough bulk foods....oatmeal, brown sugar, cooking oil, peanut butter, etc. to last a month, instead of just one or two days. I have also known quite a few folks back around 911 who had to get an AR 15 type rifle and ammo...several of them still haven't fired or learned to feed/care for it.

2. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    1000% right..there are a few posts like this dropping on the boards lately.

3. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Can I hear a BIG ol' "Amen!" on this, folks?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Barry J, central joe, TAHAWK and 5 others like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:

Rock on!

or this

I worked this into my first Book - First Strike, Lotsa fun.

5. shoggoth80

shoggoth80 Scout

Blog Posts:
    People went a little nuts with the colloidal silver. I never really got that one. Heirloom seeds, but no horticulture books.
    Berkey filters. Clean water IS important, but I recall that brand in particular was a thing in some circles.

I'm a fat guy, and I still work on my cardio. Mostly because I don't like being a fat guy.

M.Hatfield, BBizy, Barry J and 3 others like this.
  6. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos Father, Husband, Patriot, Entrepreneur Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Deep in wild wooded Western foothills of Maine

Are you sure they aren't talking about silver nickles (aka 'war nickles')? There's a fairly popular idea that 'junk silver' will become the standard post SHTF for currency.

7. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos Father, Husband, Patriot, Entrepreneur Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Deep in wild wooded Western foothills of Maine
    THAT's not 'Prepping'...that's 'Permaculture!' LOL

8. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Of course you were. We got that. But some preppers are ridiculous sometimes, as are some basketball fans and some stamp collectors.

So he was baiting trolls? I think he was baiting preppers.

9. Black5

Black5 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  10. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    "My number-one takeaway: store only what you normally consume on a regular basis. 44 gazillion cans of something you don't generally eat -- or worse, something you dislike -- will do little good."

That would be preferable and far better if the crisis never comes, but in my life I have eaten things I disliked because the alternative was worse - not eating. Had nothing to do with bushcraft and everything to do with poverty.

I also told the wife I liked her peanut, coconut and green pea salad. :4:

M.Hatfield, BBizy, Barry J and 2 others like this.
  11. field-expedient

field-expedient Misfit Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Not so, the Mormon church actually puts out a manual for prepping, it includes recommendations for guns.

12. Rich_S

Rich_S Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's not just about "liking" what you're eating in the event of TEOTWAWKI, it's about the fact that almost everything has an expiration date. If you're stockpiling food you don't generally eat, it will eventually go bad and have to be replaced. If you stockpile food you do generally eat, you can continually eat and replenish your stores.

M.Hatfield, BBizy, Barry J and 2 others like this.
  13. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No not silver, just regular US nickels. Since it costs the government 7 cents or so to produce each nickel they are perceived by some people as worth more than five cents. However I don't see how that increased value would follow after a collapse.

14. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nope, not gonna criticize another man’s preps. Too many people are doing nothing and will starve while waiting for the government to save them. Storing wheat, guns, toilet paper, gold, silver, whatever is better than doing nothing. I give kudos to anyone prepping anything in today”s society.

Stockpiling guns and ammo? Sure, why not? I buy another 500 rounds every time I watch The Road.

JohnP

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  15. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    @Glenn Rowe I agree. It was shown as part of a world cinema late-night WTSHTF movie season not long after its release.
    Regards
    David

16. Black5

Black5 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Seems as though every year we stockpile more. And we start giving it to the kids and a few choice people we know before it goes bad.
    I still see "prepping" as just good sense, and like anything it can be taken to the extreme.
    We prepare more for economic collapse and power outages more than anything. You know, stuff that has a better chance of occurring. And once again I will clarify that me losing my job could be considered economic collapse.

Just think of it as an edible savings account.

17. krflol

krflol Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Haha not enough people get range time in with their flare guns

18. K7JLJ

K7JLJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    [normalcy bias ON]My .gov told me to have a 72 hour bag a few years ago. Now they recommend a weeks worth or preps. When they tell me I need more than a week, I'll adjust accordingly. Stocking more than a week makes no sense when you can put your money into more important things. [normalcy bias OFF]

Anyway... "Stooopid Preppers!" All ya need is a Scandi grind knife and flint to live, right!

19. Uncle Duke 520

Uncle Duke 520 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Rambo Barter Coins, does anyone remember those? That was a hoot....

M.Hatfield and central joe like this.
  20. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Fun thread to read.
    I always thought that having a $100k container/bunker buried on the back 40 was a little over the top, but to be honest if I could truly afford it I'd probably do it.
    Then again I also dream of having a moat and drawbridge set up here at the compound, so I'm not throwing any stones from my glass house, lol.

21. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:
    When I lived at Nellis AFB I knew a lot of LDS folks.

If your idea of being ready is a gun and the address of the nearest Mormon, I have some bad news for you.
    LDS families, by and large don’t have anywhere near the Chow stored that too many assume they do.

And the ones that do have real
    L
    T
    S storage are likely better armed than you.

The history of the organization would tend to encourage being armed. As a history lesson, 20 LDS men, under John Lot held off two Numbered Armies back in the day.

Thereare a large number of Vets that follow that belief system.

M.Hatfield, BBizy and Barry J like this.
  22. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    The U.S. had no numbered armies until WW I.

In 1857-58, inept President Buchanan sent a few U.S. troops (under 3,000 from these regiments: 10th Infantry, the 5th Infantry, and the 2nd Dragoons plus one battery of light artillery, Phelps’ Battery of the 4th Artillery Regiment.), commanded by Colonel Albert Sidney Johnston (of Shiloh fame), to Utah to enforce his decision to impose a new, federally-appointed governor to the area. The Mormons, with a long history of being victims of murderously violent persecution, prepared to defend themselves. There were no real battles, just the odd skirmish. The primary casualties were about 120 men, women, and children, California-bound settlers, murdered by the Mormons at Mountain Meadows in southern Utah for reasons unknown.

John Smiley Lott (1826-1894) (Not to be confused with Lot Smith.)was a subordinate commander of some of the armed Mormons. The group he led, part of a force of 1200-2000, helped build fortifications in Echo Canyon, blocking one route into the Salt Lake Valley. There was no attack up Echo Canyon, so the Mormons never had to hold off anyone, save by the psychological value of their field works.

The dispute was settled politically.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  23. Barry J

Barry J Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lol! Yep, but only if you can baton with your knife.
    :54::3:
    Edited to add: You also need an assault wheel barrow.

Midwest.Bushlore and M.Hatfield like this.
  24. Cheapeats

Cheapeats Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have always thought precious metals was a fad, if things were to get bad canned goods or even toilet paper would be more useful.

Barry J, M.Hatfield, Black5 and 2 others like this.
  25. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    While I do have some precious metals, I think cigarettes or vaping supplies would be worth more along with booze. In a SHTF scenario a solar powered power pack for recharging your E-Cig would be worth its weight in .22lr.

Copper rounds were a big deal at several prepper shows I attended a few years ago.

Barry J, M.Hatfield and Cheapeats like this.
  26. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    People buying masks and chem gear with no way or idea how to decon to unmask.

Barry J, M.Hatfield, will62 and 2 others like this.
  27. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Setting up a decon station requires quite a bit of resources and several people to do it right. Then you have to be able to dispose of contaminated materials safely.

At one prepper expo I asked a guy selling gas masks and chem suits what he had for decontamination and all I got was a blank look.

krflol, Barry J and M.Hatfield like this.
  28. LogCabin

LogCabin Scout

Blog Posts:
    A lot of being prepared is knowledge. Learned here. Thank you all for sharing.

I do not store enough, but I have some, and we bring it down to use occasionally. It is only a basic. Beans and rice, or such.

I buy wheat berries in 50 lb bags. I made my own sourdough starter from scratch, and bake my own bread. Wheat, salt, water.
    One cannot eat wheat berries and gain any nutritional value, but bread is a nutritional staple in a diet.
    There are many hand powered grinders available. A generator can power an electric grinder.

"One Second After" is a great read.

Coleman oven and making bread.
    Bread.jpg

blind & lost, JasonJ, FTG-05 and 5 others like this.
  29. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just think, a lot of people think you're silly if you have more than 50 rounds of ammo, after all that's all they need.

In the end I don't care what you prep or what you shoot, I only care what I think I'll need if the day ever comes.

However, I don't have any flame throwers leading down the steps of my bunker either. ;)

30. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    "Silly" me. More than 50 Club member.:rolleyes:

Barry J, M.Hatfield and Wasp like this.
  31. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    You got flame thrower steps, or do I have to "visit" to find out?

32. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nope. Fire hazard. Easier to repair damage from No. 4 Buck.

33. Odd-Arne Oseberg

Odd-Arne Oseberg Scout

Blog Posts:
    What becomes silly to me is the idea of preparing for some sort of general thing that doesn't apply to you, your area and the type of situation you might find yourself in.

Again I find the MRE and freeze dried stuff even more silly than I do in regards to hiking. The biggest issue is price, but also size and weight. If one is prepared to stay at home then canned food makes more sense. It's heavy, but it keeps longer and for people that use canned gods(I really don't) it would just make sense to buy what you normally like and just stay a few months ahead.

Personally, I'm in a semi-camping situation all the time. If you take away my musical instruments, books and records I really don't own much. I could fit most of the other stuff in my small car.

Now, I have to order to get the oats, barley, spelt, millet and quinoa I use. At any given time I easily have a year's worth of that stuff. That's just what I do. I think it's common sense and it doesn't take much room at all. To supplement, the only real alternative is fishing which is easy and will not cost many calories. Earth worms almost as easy.

If I were to get some extra stuff just for food in an emergency it would be beans and soup bags.

As with other gear. I think it's like with so many other things. It's not really about having tons of gear it's about knowing how to really use what you do have.

34. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If he's a Mormon, I'm sure he has a wheat grinder to make flour from his wheat. Baking isn't such a technical skill and can be learned in an afternoon to produce a passable loaf of bread. It's the way I learned - from a book!

The Mormons don't push the food storage like they used to back in the 90s and before, but they still have all that in their arsenal of fall-back plans. There were times when my Wife and I were living off of our stored food when I was out of work for a few months. It's not just for the TEOTWAWKI scenarios that everyone thinks.

Steve

35. Not Sure

Not Sure Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well said! Thank you for saying that..........
    People will ridicule what they don't understand or believe in.

Barry J, M.Hatfield, LogCabin and 2 others like this.
  36. Hawkce541

Hawkce541 Tracker

Blog Posts:

Mormons are supposed to have a months worth of food for their family, but they usually have a cellar and grow and can most of their own food. My grandmother did.

Barry J, Primordial and M.Hatfield like this.
  37. LogCabin

LogCabin Scout

Blog Posts:
  38. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not ridicule, more of an observation. Back in 1999 people rushed to buy guns and ammo. What was so crazy was the number of people who had no idea how to use a firearm. If there was a situation that arose they wouldn’t have even had a clue how to hunt or protect themselves.
    Another thing was buying up thousands of $$$ worth of food they didn't normally eat simply because of the long term storage capabilities. I mean why buy 500 cans of tuna if you don’t like tuna?

Barry J and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  39. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I talked my dad into buying a .357 for Y2K. He already knew how to shoot. He said he wasn't worried about Y2K and I said fair enough, but if these dummies out here act like this now, and something does happen, all you have to protect the family is a .22 single shot revolver. He nodded his head and we went to the store.

Our neighbors across the street, were a retired couple about 60+ at the time. He worked from home on computers and thought it was definitely going to happen.
    His brother in law sold their house and moved in across the street. They combined their money and spent it all on food, firearms, blankets, tape and plastic, low tech security, etc, etc until the money was gone. When they were taking stuff in it looked like he was going to turn his house into a milsurp store. He told my dad if he put up a third the money they would share. Lol

Boy were they surprised. Eventually he had to come out of retirement and sell his 69 c10 showtruck because they were broke.

40. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Guy I worked with went out and bought an AK or SKS right before Y2K. He brought it by work one night. He had taken it apart to clean and wasn’t sure how to get it back together.

Barry J and trailhermit like this.
  41. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I was wondering how long before you popped into this thread. :)

Barry J, NevadaBlue and PAcanis like this.
  42. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Actually it was the same day the thread started, the 15th ;)
    Now it's almost the end of summer :(

Barry J, gohammergo and NevadaBlue like this.
  43. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It has been hot in Michigan. :p

Barry J and gohammergo like this.
  44. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    [QUOTE="highlander, post: 4522586, member: 12458". . .
    Another thing was buying up thousands of $$$ worth of food they didn't normally eat simply because of the long term storage capabilities. I mean why buy 500 cans of tuna if you don’t like tuna?[/QUOTE]

Assuming certain things that i believe unlikely, because they like tuna better than starvation?

Barry J, NevadaBlue and highlander like this.
  45. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I seldom read threads like this. :) I was laying on the couch by the air conditioner and didn't notice the date of the posts.

:18::18::18:

highlander, PAcanis and NevadaBlue like this.
  46. L0NER

L0NER -Gone Exploring- Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @GoodPhotos you might want to Google Permaculture to learn what it is.

The reason people are hoarding nickels is because there is more then a nickels worth of nickel in a nickel..

Barry J likes this.
  47. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  48. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Except for this pesky fact: (from coinflation.com)

$0.0401492 is the melt value for the 1946-2014 nickel on July 25, 2019

Older nickels with silver content are more valuable, but you can’t find those outside coin shops. I bought a 100 dollar brick of nickels years ago, and it is a good door stop. They also make nice rust free washers if you drill a hole in them. Cheaper than one from the hardware store.

49. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. One of my friends growing up was LDS and they had a years worth of food in the basement + guns and ammo.
    Mormons are definitely not pacifist. Look up some of the history of early Utah and some of the raids they carried out.

50. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Rock on dude ... oh shoot. We don't have one of those little punker dude emoticons here...
    This will have to do :59:
    Gotta love AC :dblthumb:

gohammergo and NevadaBlue like this.