Mountain Navigation In South Korea Tips

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by rjhisle1973, Nov 6, 2016.

1. rjhisle1973

rjhisle1973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hi everyone,

I made a video on how to navigate the mountains of SK when lost. So it's more an emergency egress. Most of the information is universal, but one thing that is unique is the use of tombs/grave sights as navigation tools. What kind of navigational aides or tips do you have for your neck of the woods?

Enjoy.

PS I inserted a video explaining what the tombs are.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. rjhisle1973

rjhisle1973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is a video showing the consequences of my decision to go to the local village.

3. camp casey

camp casey Scout

Blog Posts:
    There was a time in my life when i faced the same task, 2x 2nd id camp casey korea. And we practiced it, rough business humping a ruck and all our gear over those mountains. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  4. rjhisle1973

rjhisle1973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    For real.

Just hiking these trails is difficult enough with a small pack, but add body armor, large rucksacks, an M4 plus small, rocky trails makes for one lousy day in the woods. Thankfully we haven't done anything like that over here yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bitterroot Native and camp casey like this.
  5. camp casey

camp casey Scout

Blog Posts:
    Diffacult yes, but i wouldnt trade those memorys for anything. The people there were so alive and full of energy, always moving with purpase. Spent most of my spare time in the moutains, small villages, i remember the sunsets from the there. Spent a year changed my life. Gave me perspective.

6. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Scout

Blog Posts:
    I grew up in the mountains and find them much easier to navigate than flat lands. Biggest thing is terrain association. Take a good look around at the peaks and landmarks you can see and orient yourself from there. Also LOOK BEHIND YOU! If you are going out the same way you came in take a look at what the landmarks look like coming from the other direction. It can be a big help. When covering long distances I count the number of ridges I cross over as well as how many creeks or streams I've crossed. That way even if I drop in elevation or can't see my surroundings due to weather or tree coverage I still can say "ok, I might not know exactly where I am but I know I need to cross X amount of streams and hike over X many ridge lines to get back to where I need to be".

rjhisle1973 likes this.