Moving to Baton Rouge from OBX NC

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by jskit, Jun 25, 2013.

1. jskit

jskit Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey folks, I'm looking at taking a job in Baton Rouge and moving from OBX NC.

I've never been to LA, and I don't know a soul down there. I'm just looking for some general information and opinions on the area. I'm also hoping to find out about hunting / fishing opportunities. Any info is welcome.

2. KajunKat

KajunKat Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, I missed your post. Tons of fishing and hunting opportunities in that area. Mostly WMA's or private hunting clubs for hunting. You will be within two hours travel of just about any type of fishing you desire. Decent selection of stores, bowie outfitters, dick's, academy, cabelas, etc. Food is second to none. People are generally friendly. Lots of stuff to do on the weekend.
    Downside is that traffic is terrible during certain times of the day, hot and muggy from May to September, public schools systems are, shall be say, barely adequate, housing prices are kind of high (not east or west coast high). Overall I like the area and if you pick your living area carefully you can miss some of the traffic.

3. Blu

Blu Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the area. I have family from Nags Head, they worked with the volunteer fire department there or in Duck, I really don't know which. Send me a PM if you would like some information on the area, and places you might want to see and others you might want to avoid.

Matt

4. jskit

jskit Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Oops, Apparently I'm not getting email notifications for replies, and I've been down here in LA for 3 weeks now! So far so good, but living in an apartment has me itching to get into the woods.

I've been eyeing the Sherburne WMA. Seems like a outdoorsman's playground down there. Any thoughts on the area?

5. Blu

Blu Tracker

Blog Posts:
    bug spray

I have not been out there for long time. 5th of October is squirrel season and runs to the end of Feburary, prime camping time down here is also prime hunting time. Once deer season opens, I would stay out of there.

6. jskit

jskit Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I figured as much.

I may try it out for hunting too since I don't know of any private places to go near BR. I'm new to this WMA thing. I gotta read over the regulations, but I'm sure that will require me to pick up a climbing stand.