Moving to Maine or New Hampshire: Help us decide

Discussion in 'Maine' started by El Duderino, Jan 13, 2017.

1. El Duderino

El Duderino Scout

Hello fellow bushcrafters! My wife and I are going to be relocating in the next 2-3 years and we think we've narrowed down our choices to ME or NH. We began our research this past May by spending a week driving around the two states. Our next step is to spend a few weeks there to really get a feel for it. We want this to be our last move so we're being diligent so we can make the correct decision.

I'm hoping to hear from people who live there or have lived there. What do you like or dislike? Have you lived anywhere else to compare it to? If you're not from there, what do you wish you knew before moving there? Any information is helpful and THANK YOU in advance.

A little about us. I grew up in PA and have lived in FL for the past 10 years. Hate the heat, terrain, amount of people, and traffic down here. My wife is from Western NY and she hates it here as well. We both like to hike, camp and be outside. We'd really like to live as far out in the woods as we can go. The good thing is we both work from home so as long as we have high speed internet and she's no more than 1.5 hours from an airport, we're good to go.

Once again I truly appreciate any information you can provide.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Red Ochre, rsnurkle and Kona9 like this.
  2. teb_atoz

teb_atoz Banned Member Banned

Not much help but I had to move west of the Rockies. But with your choices Maine.

3. maineman1985

maineman1985 Scout

Where were you looking around in Maine?

4. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Remember there are two Maines, the Southern 1/8 of the State an extension of Boston's North shore with good jobs, high cost of living and all other Liberal related BS, then the other 7/8 of the state which is rural, independent and where you get by best you can and enjoy life while doing so.

5. El Duderino

El Duderino Scout

Yes. My wife and I spent a week back in May and drove around NH and Maine. NH included most of the southern portion of the state from the White Mtns. south. In Maine we drove through most of SW Maine from Fryeburg and Bridgton and south. We drove a bit of Rt 1 out to Bath. From there we went North and spent some time in and around Bangor.

This was our first trip and was really a scouting trip to see the states and help with our decision making.

6. El Duderino

El Duderino Scout

Absolutely! I'm looking for the rural, independent part. I grew up in small town, rural PA and I've had enough of all the headaches that come with urban/suburban living here in Florida. We both work from home and need high speed internet for work so if I can follow that internet cable as far out in the boondocks as it will go, that's where we want to be.

7. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

I have a friend lives in New Hampshire that complains about property taxes so high he can't afford to buy property. There is no income tax though so I guess the state gets money that way.

8. El Duderino

El Duderino Scout

Pretty much anywhere we move our cost of living is going to increase due to Florida having no state income tax and some of the lowest property taxes in the nation.

9. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Roughian #10 Supporter Bushclass I

First, are you looking to buy or rent? Though NH has high property taxes, they do not have an income tax nor do they have a sales tax. I have many friends who live in NH who rent their dwelling, but also have property (unimproved) that they go to in order to relax and get away. Since you and your wife both work from home, and you said you need high speed internet access - Cable Access Map - that link will get you to the major cable providers and you can see where they are an are not. Of course, Satellite is also an option for you. Both NH and Maine have a great deal to offer the outdoor enthusiast, depending on what you want to do.

With this in mind, you may want to consider Northwest NH near the Maine boarder. This way, you have both to play in.
    Cheers

10. El Duderino

El Duderino Scout

Thanks for the info. We're going to buy a home and this will be our last move. We're really looking for something rural so we don't have to buy a cabin and drive to it to get away. We want this house to cover it all.

Red Ochre, bumma and FIELDCRAFTLTC like this.
  11. bumma

bumma I'm not lost. Just a bit confused. Supporter

I did just what you are talking about. I had it up to my eyeballs with where I was living and moved to the great state of Maine

You should look into the Bethel area. Bethel has pretty much everything you would need. Depending on where you live you would be about 20 miles from tax free Gorham, NH. Paris, Oxford and Norway are the big communities in the area. Within a few minutes drive you will be in some beautiful mountains. There are hiking trails everywhere. Gem hunting, gold panning, hunting, fishing. I love this place.

If you're making plans for 2-3 years from now I would highly recommend a Winter trip (we've had a few days here where you didn't breath in cause you would freeze your trachea...lol) as well as a mud season trip.

Should you make it up here you need to PM me and we'll do some touring around the area.

Red Ochre, rsnurkle and El Duderino like this.
  12. El Duderino

El Duderino Scout

Thanks for the info and the invite! I'll def PM you when we make our next trip up. Not sure when that will be yet. I was actually hoping you'd comment because I read your post about leaving Mass and heading to Maine. I'll keep Bethel in mind to check out. We actually drove thru the other 3 towns you mentioned. I'm doing some research now on The County. My wife has to fly to NJ once a month for work so I'm going to have to do some serious convincing to have her move up there. She's spoiled with direct flights out of Tampa to NJ. Up there she'd have to fly out of Presque Isle and connect at Logan.

Good point about visiting outside of summer. We're definitely serious about moving and visiting off season and living there for a few weeks or a month are in our plans. Thanks again.

13. bumma

The County! Great area. Some big woods up there. I've done a lot of hunting and fishing up there over the years. I got a little confused for about 6 hours in those woods.
    :11: Not something I want to do again.:18:

We used to have a camp out the Reality Road. I've made some plans to go fishing up there this Spring.

El Duderino likes this.
  14. Randop

Randop Tracker

I totally feel you! I'm planning on moving up near my dad in Nashville in a few years, I can't deal with the heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

You gotta dress for the weather man. I actually plan on retiring to TN or possibly KY. I'm sick of heat and humidity, lack of seasons, etc in FL.

16. hdlv

hdlv Treen Machine

I absolutely love Maine. It was hands down my favorite state on the Appalachian trail. I'd move there in a heart beat but my other half can't handle the cold very well and does not want to deal with a winter further north than where we are now.

17. Randop

Randop Tracker

Eh, I haven't died yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Usingmyrights

It's about comfort. I used to live in blue jeans. I wore shorts one day and wondered what I had been thinking all of those years.

19. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

1/8!? any thing south west of Augusta.

Rockdog1 likes this.
  20. El Duderino

El Duderino Scout

My wife and I just booked our 2nd exploratory trip to NH/ME for the end of June. We'll be staying in Plymouth, NH for a few days and then be traveling through ME (Oxford County). If anyone has suggestions on small towns or specific areas for us to check out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bumma, rsnurkle and GreenFrog like this.
  21. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

If your limiting yourself to Oxford county be sure to check out Coo's Canyon in Byron (NE corner) and check out the restored historic settlement on Paris hill just 4 miles up the road from South Paris. Also scenic drives along the various rivers and through mountain notches in the White Mountain National Forest in the NW part of Oxford County.

rsnurkle and El Duderino like this.
  22. Gylippos

Gylippos Tracker

I spent many vacations in Maine, mostly the northwest section from Rangeley Lake to Moosehead. Camped and hiked extensively in the Flagstaff / Dead River area. If I moved back to New England that is the first area I would look (Franklin County) I owned a small cottage in Limerick Maine which is in the southwest portion of the state. The western portion, along the NH border is beautiful, and much less expensive than the coast.
    Being from Ma. originally I certainly didn't want to be in the south along the coast. As stated above its like the northern suburbs of Boston, and I was running away from all of that. Southern NH is the same - Ma transplants trying to change NH into Ma.
    Good luck with your relocation.

Red Ochre and El Duderino like this.
  23. bumma

I'll PM you a list of good roads, towns and sights around me by the weekend. You should get the "Maine Atlas and Gazetteer". Full of details. You can pick it up through Amazon.

24. El Duderino

El Duderino Scout

Thanks for the book recommendation and I'll await your PM!

25. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Black flies been out for a month, mosquitoes are now coming on in good shape, along with some heat we will see the three various gnawing winged creatures know as deer flies, horse flies and moose flies all for the rest of the summer, then fall sets in the best time of the year! Born and raised here in downeast coastal Maine, traveled the country a bit out of highschool then settled back home and raised a family, it has been great. One big thing that sticks out about Washington County is how rural it is, in part. My home town has no stop lights and we don't encounter unless we approach Canada at Calais or into Ellsworth, l.5 hours drive west.

Red Ochre likes this.
  26. Red Ochre

Red Ochre Supporter Supporter

I'm seriously considering moving to Maine also.
    You get a lot of house for the money compared to Seattle...

The ticks are my only worry.

TrespassersWilliam likes this.
  27. El Duderino

El Duderino Scout

We've been in NH for 2 months and the ticks haven't been bad. I've been in the woods quite a bit and I've only had two ticks on me. Both of which I got from my backyard. Good luck with your decision.

28. Usingmyrights

Glad you're enjoying it. When are you coming back for a visit?

29. El Duderino

El Duderino Scout

Thanks. Who knows? But never say never.

Red Ochre likes this.