MREs, the ultimate meal.

Discussion in 'Food' started by KentuckyKiller, Aug 21, 2011.

1. OldMan

OldMan Artist, Trapper, Hunter, all around woods bum

Blog Posts:
    For weight carried freeze dried and dehydrated is best, but having 1 or 2 MRE's broken down into their components for fast and easy eating can be good. From my experience I've had C-Rats, and all were okay but for the lima beans (even had a couple of the old K-Rats..ugh!!). Had some 80's MREs that got stored in too high temps and spoiled but that was the only time of serious gastrointestinal difficulties. The 9o's stuff through the present isn't bad, some I prefer some I don't but that's a matter of taste. The old C-rat chocolate always seemed to me to be some form of sup'd up Ex Lax to me for a while but then the body adjusted.

In extremely general terms I think the French MREs today are the best followed by the Brit and German issued stuff, but the US MREs are easily palatable. Thing is, if you get one handed to you and don't get to choose what it is and can't trade for it, it's often no different than regular table food - if you don't like X regular you won't like X in an MRE. Other times it's mood and what the stomach can handle. I don't do well with stroganov and some tuna dishes on a normal day. On a rough day in the field where the stomach is being picky as to what it can handle or can't, being stuck with such in an MRE, C-Rat or anything else becomes a major decision of 'eat today or not, that is the question'.

Then again, if a meal package is too much for you, you can save up the crackers and cheese or peanut butter to chow down on in lieu of the entree. When I could I'd strip down a case of the MREs and pack the individual contents to suit needs, taste and weight constraints.

gohammergo likes this.
  2. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have picked up a few MRE's over the years. The first time I tried them was around 1995 - had Beef stew and Chicken and noodles. Both were not bad. Still have a few of that batch in my basement. Several years later I got several entree-only spaghetti ones (from Emergency Essentials) that weren't too bad. Still have several of these. I have some entree- only tacos and filling that I have not tried yet (also from Emergency Essentials). One thing that I have learned with the GI issued MRE's is that even if you hate the main entrees, go through the package and salvage those great long handled plastic spoons and the bread and cake type packets.

gohammergo likes this.
  3. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I confess that virtually all my food supplies for time spent in the woods or even for long hikes are British Military Rations, although I do try to adjust the heavier contents if I'm having to carry food on a long hike.
    I just happen to have a menu here to show the contents of a typical 24 hour ration box.

Headed...24 hour Operational Ration Pack (ORP) menu 11

Meal pouches..Toasted Muesli..Carrot & Coriander Soup..Beef Goulash...Plain Rice..Fruit cocktail in Pineapple juice.

Snacks..Fruit puree..Biscuits Fruit..(Fruit cookies?)..Strawberry sweets (Candies)...Apricot and Raisin snack bar..Chocolate Bar...Tuna Lime and pepper spread...Salted |Peanuts.

Drinks..Isotonic drinks (each makes I litre) Black Currant..Cherry..Raspberry..Orange..Hot Chocolate drink.

Sundries..Beverage whitener..Instant coffeex2..Tea bagsx2..sugarx4..Water purification tablets..Tissues..Wet Wipes...Dental Chewing Gum..Long handle spoon...Tabasco flavouring (red)..Waterproof Matches...Re-usable polythene bag

That's a typical rat pack...there are vegetarian, Halal and other menus to suit soldiers from other backgrounds who serve in the British Army...Gurkhas, for instance...( important info) :58: ...Never ever eat their curries unless you have a bucket of water handy to dunk your head into between mouthfuls...[​IMG].......:18:

Rations for one of my trips of a few days duration. 3 Rat packs will usually last me 4 days easily, the grub is all high on calories..I decant them from the boxes into the poly bags provided and they fit easily into the pockets of my Bergan. All meal contents can be eaten if necessary without the need to cook or heat.

DSCF4382.JPG

DSCF4384.JPG

4. bobs1415

bobs1415 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    During the recent Harvey unpleasantness, my cupboard was approaching Mother Hubbard status. When things calmed down, I added a case of MREs to the stash. When I was wearing the green suit every day, there was no such thing as MREs. C-Rats were what we ate in the field.

gohammergo, Merk3030 and OldMan like this.
  5. RedTail-HWK

RedTail-HWK Tracker

Blog Posts:
    MREs aren't the worst thing in the world, but after eating them for 6 months straight, you'll feel like the blood in your veins has been replaced with mud... To that I can attest.

6. RedTail-HWK

RedTail-HWK Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'd also like to point out that the pork rib MRE is almost indistinguishable from the McRib. I made the mistake of ordering the latter when I got home and had flashbacks.

Bitterroot Native and gohammergo like this.
  7. Chris L

Chris L Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The Epicenter has a good selection of MREs, including, currently, dehydrated entrees from some of the long range patrol rations. They are made by Mountain House, but they make them more compact then the civilian ones.

https://theepicenter.com/mre-meals-ready-to-eat.html

Dave_Markowitz likes this.
  8. Galen blazer

Galen blazer Scout

Blog Posts:
    When i was i 1st gulf war in 1990 30days straight hormel chilli for reakfast and 2mres i hated pork and shrimp rice and chicken sumin nasty

9. Noblesavage

Noblesavage Tracker

Blog Posts:
    John Wayne cookie and the Chocolate Fudge were damn good in the old C Rats. MRE's came out and everything was ho hum, to bleck.

10. Veroneej

Veroneej Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here is a compilation of pics from a 1st generation MRE that i picked up last year. If i remember right, it was made in 1983. Everything in it was in good shape despite the main compartment of the MRE being open. The only thing that was bad was the drink mix which had some moisture leaked into it and soldified it.
    It contained
    -choclate covered cookie.(great shaped hadnt even bloomed)
    -Freeze Dried peaches(amazing, tasted fantastic and was a real treat. I wish they still had them in MREs.)
    -Beef rib meat thing.(essentially beef that was mashed into a rectangle and covered in a tomato BBQ sauce, which was not good but was edible)
    -Crackers

Attached Files:

CampCowan likes this.
  11. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    man..i hate those things. super overly salted.

and the full meals, you eat the food and you end up with half a garbage bag full of trash. can that chemical that heats up even be disposed of in the regular garbage?

Bitterroot Native likes this.
  12. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie

Blog Posts:
    Veggie omelet is by far the WORST MRE out there, straight up gross. No matter how many bottles of tabasco you cover it with it's really hard to get down. Cheese tortellini was always a pretty good one, maybe even my favorite.

I second this ^! Very similar to the McRib :D

13. Simplejack

Simplejack Scout

Blog Posts:
    Id rather eat the omlette than the old country captain chicken, Jamaican pork chop or the dredded 3 fingers of death.

14. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    MRE's are great, if you own stock in Metamucil. LOL

15. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    MREs serve their purpose, and I have had a couple of entrees that were tasty enough for something in a bag, but as long as real food is available to me, I prefer that. Cheaper, usually lighter, more nutritious, and something to look forward to after a long day of exertion.

To be honest, I don't like Mountain House or other civilian-type rations, either.

16. PauperoftheBush

PauperoftheBush Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I do this too! My next "first time" experiment is gping to be dehydrating my homemade chili and rehydrating on the trail, but that will have to wait until this fall. *BIG sigh* I so so so dislike summer time.