MSS compression sack

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by Four, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Four

Four Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Looking for a replacement compression sack that will fit all three parts of an MSS. The black bag is falling apart and no longer compresses the sleep system. Anyone know how many liters the old black compression sack is. Thanks for the help.

2. Rooks

Rooks Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You can get an original one on eBay. New and used.

3. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not sure on the liters number. But there are large and xl compression sacks made for backpacking. If/when my MSS stock bag breaks down beyond repair, I will go with one of these civilian bags. To be honest, that MSS sack is my least favorite part of the system, and pretty poorly designed (at least for backpacking/outdoors use...maybe it worked better for army field use?).

4. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Dont know the liter size, but its quite large. I would agree that a Large or XL compression sack would work just as well.
    There seems to be two versions of the black military compression sack, I have the older 9 strap version; with 3 straps for the diameter and 6 straps for the height.

The newer ones are in ACU foliage green and has two compression sacks

11b inf likes this.
  5. mangorockfish

mangorockfish Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not to hijack the thread, but do you use the compression sack with the carrier on the bottom of the ALICE pack or is the carrier a compression sack in itself?

6. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Compression sack for the MSS bags are not in camo; they do make it easier to fit the camo carriers, but otherwise the carriers can compress a little but not by much (only the 2 1.5" straps) .

You kind of have to use the black or grayish green compression sacks to get the whole MSS system to fit the carrier... although if you aren't humping the entire system.. you could get away without using the compression sacks.

11b inf likes this.
  7. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I like this compression sack for my MSS

USMC SealLine Sleep System Waterproof Bag Compression Sack 8465-01-574-4003 (a0)