Multi Day Self Reliance Bushwhack Trek (Hunt & Fish) Update: Done!

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by Primordial, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. I learned those tricks the hard way! ;)

We plan our trips during the winter months. We mull over what we want to do and where we can do it. Then we use Google Earth, and maps to check out our locations. My buddy really likes to map out our route planning and he sends me routes overlayed onto Google earth images with points of interests like possible camp locations, things to check out Etc, that he adds.

We do all our trips on public land. That was a county forest area we were zig zagging through for this trip. We usually go to county land or National Forest land so trespassing is never really an issue, but we sometimes have have to skirt property boundaries. That's why we usually have a GPS with if we are hiking a lot. Some of our trips are more water based where we kayak to our campsite. This is the trip we did last year, if you wanna read that one: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/kayak-bushwhack-camping-trip.205831/

bacpacjac, LarryB, pab1 and 11 others like this.
  2. scottmm2012

scottmm2012 1 Peter 1:20 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    As always, top notch trip report. The pictures and the narration tell the full story. Thanks for thinking of us while you were seeking your solace.

LarryB, pab1, Jim L. and 9 others like this.
  3. Fixedblade

Fixedblade 3% Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Outstanding report!

4. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very happy this got bumped, or I may have missed it completely.
    Still don't know how I missed it at all.
    Words escape me to describe your trip other then those that have already been used, so I'll just say thank you for taking the time to record your adventure with words and photos.
    It's been quite some time since I've done a multi day trip like this, and I've never documented any of them.
    You've inspired me to change my poor habits as I can see the joy you've brought to others, as well as to me.
    Thank you again.
    Awesome trip!

BBizy, LarryB, pab1 and 9 others like this.
  5. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    Thanks!

Thanks so much! I get great joy in seeing that other people really like these trip reports. I also feel good in knowing that they may help inspire others to go out and and partake in a outdoor adventure of their own making. I'm glad ever has enjoyed this one so much!

bacpacjac, LarryB, pab1 and 9 others like this.
  6. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue ā€”- Roughian #7 -ā€” --- Graybeard -ā€” Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wow, what a trip. How did I miss this? Somebody tag me if such an event happens again! :D

LarryB, pab1, Jonah L. Archer and 6 others like this.
  7. LMT66

LMT66 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great skills and awesome trip! I don't live up there (yet) but am lucky to be close enough to drive up and explore a few times a year.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog In the Forest Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    bumping some of the best trip reports of 2018!

pellegrino, LarryB, pab1 and 9 others like this.
  9. JasonJ

JasonJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Best trip report I've read in a LONG time!

These are the kinds of trips where I daydream about being there too... I wish my family responsibilties would allow me to be away for even 2 days to do something like this; I live in a beautiful natural world, a State full of unspoiled forest and I can't quite get out there far enough for long enough.

Thanks @Primordial for taking me along on this trip!

LarryB, pab1, Guttersnipe and 6 others like this.
  10. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    brother this is fantastic.

LarryB, pab1, Guttersnipe and 5 others like this.
  11. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  12. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This was a great trip report. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

13. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    If @Primordial called me and asked if I would want to do a multinight trip with him in the woods, I'd say to hell with the bad back and do what I could to get there. The absorption of awsome would be in overdose quantities.

Primordial, pab1, Guttersnipe and 3 others like this.
  14. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm next in line after you.

Primordial, pab1, Guttersnipe and 3 others like this.
  15. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    :oops::8:

insector, LarryB, pab1 and 5 others like this.
  16. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Dibs.

insector, pab1, Guttersnipe and 4 others like this.
  17. icemancometh

icemancometh Stuck in Suburbia Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Can't believe that I missed this thread. Great trip report and photos. You have succeeded in making me envious. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

insector, LarryB, pab1 and 6 others like this.
  18. Erk469

Erk469 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Awesome, awesome trip report, thanks for taking us along.

pab1, Guttersnipe, Jim L. and 4 others like this.
  19. plantedtao

plantedtao Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wow! Iā€™m glad this trip popped up. Awesome job!

You and JD have an impressive set of skills... thanks for sharing the knowledge. I really like that you had dry wood saved and covered the fire during the storm. Planning ahead and being prepared sure does reduce the workload :)

Nice work out there. Being able to acquire resources for food while on the go is a skill I hope to practice a bit more.

Thanks for sharing that TR!

insector, LarryB, pab1 and 5 others like this.
  20. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for bringing this thread back up @GreenFrog! I would have missed it if you didn't.

Amazing trip and report @Primordial! I really enjoyed it. You two did a great job providing meals along the way. Hard to beat brookies and porcupine. I felt the same way about the pocket bellows. Like you, I changed my mind after finally trying one.

LarryB, Jim L., Primordial and 3 others like this.
  21. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What an epic trip and TR. Thank you so much, guys. Have you started planning this Summer's trip yet?

22. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    Yes. We have a couple locations in mind and most likely this one will be a water based trip via kayak. Action will take place in and around a lake if that's what we end up doing.

23. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I can't wait! :D

24. GreenFrog

GreenFrog In the Forest Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    bumping some excellent threads to keep the forum focused on bushcraft.

25. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Now that right there is a great idea!

26. Bobsdock

Bobsdock So long, and thanks for all the fish Supporter

Blog Posts:
  27. insector

insector Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Porcupine, eh? Interesting. Plus trout and shrooms and frog etc. All that bushwacking would most likely leave me lame - my hat is off to you guys.

I have that same bowsaw. Way to blessed go...........

28. Beard-O

Beard-O Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I logged on today and was surprised to see this thread dug up from the archives. @Primordial and I took this trip before I was a member here. I am pleased to see so many people enjoyed reading about our adventures. Every year since I have gotten out of the Army @Primordial and I plan at least two epic adventures. One (like this one) is a bit more primitive and the other we usually take out my boat on a local lake and find an island to camp on. Since we have the boat to transport our gear we usually afford ourselves a few "luxury" items like cold beer, food, and maybe a camp chair to sit on.

That pocket bellows was gifted to me by my decidedly less bushcrafty brother. I will admit at first I though it was a bit gimmicky and quickly wrote it off as such. I have an organizer (what was once a insert in a Combat Medics Aid Bag) I call my "Camp Bag." It is sort of like a really big Maxpedition Organizer. I tossed this pocket bellows in that organizer and figured "one day" I would give it a test. That day was actually on a boat camping trip with @Primordial. I woke up one morning just as the first streaks of light were shifting the black of night to grey. I crawled out of by hammock and walked to the rocky outcrop of our island. I dug through the ash of the previous nights fire and found what was left to be meager at best. What a perfect time to test out the pocket bellows. A bit of new fuel for the meager ember I found and a bit of blowing through the tube and the fire leapt to life. I then set up my coffee percolator and went about making coffee. If I could get that fire going BEFORE I had my coffee, it is a great piece of kit. I take it with me all the time now.

I am also flattered at all the comments about my beard. @Primordial was right. I spent nearly 12 years in the Army as an Infantryman. After all that time shaving daily (sometimes twice a day) I vowed when I got out of the Army I would never shave again. I got out of the Army June 30th 2014 however I decided NOT to shave that Monday morning as sort of a final "gotcha" to Uncle Sam on my way out the door. So in essence my beard's birthday was June 27th 2014.

At least once every time I am out, even if it is just for the day on my boat, I am struck by the beauty around me and marvel at how luck I am to live in a place such as this.

I guess all those years mission planning is still with me. In a way I get as much joy out of planning the trip as I do being in the bush. Maybe it is the thrill of anticipation. That reminds me, I need to do some further planning on this years trip. So far the tentative plan is to hit up the same river but a bit further downstream. A few years back @Primordial and I were there on a day hike and noticed a large bend in the river that seemed like prime real-estate for a camp site. Stay tuned for the trip report from this years trip. Maybe @Primordial and I will collaborate on the write up to give you a truly epic trip report for your enjoyment. Just as @Primordial said, I am glad we can provide these reports for people to enjoy. Especially if it motivates or inspires someone to get out there and go on a trip themselves.

29. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice bump of an epic trip report and great to hear Beard-O give his perspective this time around.

It'll never happen, I'm too far away and have too many personal / professional / family obligations, but I'd love to join y'all on a trip like this. Logistical impossibilities aside, this is right up my alley, a perfect cup of tea. Instead, I'll just have to do my own thing and hope y'all post future trips I can live through vicariously.

(Whether or not you'd even want me to join, no need to go there, it's moot anyway... ;))

30. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    You're welcome to join in on the suck fun fest these trips are! There is usually plenty of starvation food, everything goes wrong great and the weather is always hurricane hail storm sharknado fine!

All kidding aside if you ever make it up this way, give a holler. There are some future plans in the works with "other out of the area" forum members for some adventure up here in this neck of the woods.