1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

My current project ( photo may be graphic for some people )

Discussion in 'Monthly Projects' started by Northernhunter, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Northernhunter

Northernhunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well I Un-thawed my deer legs from this November. I skinned them and removed the tendons and removed the foot from the leg bone because I will be keeping the leg bone. I am going to use the hide off the leg to make rawhide and from the rawhide I will be making hide glue. Next up are the tendons that I am going to let dry and then pound to seperate the fibres to make sinew for later projects. The deer leg bones will be used as knife handles. Lots of resources just off the legs of a white tail deer. Just imagine the kind of things you can make from the whole deer ( provided the deer is deboned and not cut up )

So out of the 4 deer legs from the knee down I got:

4 pieces of hide to make glue, rawhide and a small pouch
    4 leg bones with the knuckles for knife handles
    9 pieces of tendon to pound into an unknown number of fibres to make sinew and twist into cordage.

This seems pretty cool to me haha

[​IMG]

houstondiscdog, ZManator and himesrun like this.
  2. Brook Trout

Brook Trout Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really appreciate the traditional concept of using the whole animal. I always save my hides, have rendered deer fat, boiled bones for stock, and tried one or two times to save sinew for future projects. That said, I figure I've got a long ways to go. Will be curious to see what you do with your materials. Thanks for sharing.

3. Northernhunter

Northernhunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is the first year that I have done something with a deer other than eat it and use the antlers.
    This year I am going to try brain tanning a large piece of the main hide and make rawhide out of the rest. I'm also going to make hide glue, sinew, leather with the fur on, bone needle,awl, knife handles. That's all I can think of right now lol. I am also going to make stock from some of the bones. I have never tried any of this stuff before but I have high hopes it will all turn out :) ... If the brain tan works out, next year I want to do a whole hide with the fur on. Oh I have made candles out of rendered deer tallow before. I will be rendering more tallow this year as well.

THRsucks and SuperKramp like this.
  4. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've given up on tanning... HARD work... i just can't seem to find the energy to finish... gave the two hides I started (dehaired and fleshed, one was partially grained) and a couple brains to a fellow member here, but he's having the same problem... lol

I did turn the small antlers of my first real buck into buttons for a blanket coat/anorak, a necklace/medallion for my wife, a squirrel "cutting call" handle, and a decorative slider/knob thingy for my kuksa... and had some to spare to the guy I gave the hides to... still have some sinew that's gone unused. I just don't seem to do a lot of leatherwork, or when I do, I need rivets.

5. Nakadnu

Nakadnu OBSERVER Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Whenever it says in the title (photo may be graphic for some people) I have to check it out.

Good use of resources.

weltondl likes this.
  6. Northernhunter

Northernhunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Haha ^

Seeker- Ya I have read that it's a lot of work. It doesn't seem hard though, just time consuming. That's awesome about the antlers. What does the medallion look like? Do you have a pic?

7. Bookshelf

Bookshelf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Right on man. I haven't done much hunting in my life. The few times I went out with a F.T.W. crowd kinda tarnished that for me. Good on you for using more parts of the animal.

8. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i have to chuckle, 'cause your post took me back. my senior year of college, when i was first getting into the primitive/bushcraft game.....my roommate delivered pizza. what does that have to do with this? well, he actually supported and was interested in my hobby....which led to my first deer leg i did a similar thing to. he was delivering at a house, and their dog came out of the woods with a deer leg, freaked the people out and they were apologizing to him, so sorry! he just laughed and asked if they had a grocery bag or two so he could bag it up, admitting his roommate could do something or another with it. lol. thanks for the walk down memory lane....and i look forward to seeing all your finished work too. those all come just from one deer?

exohead likes this.
  9. Northernhunter

Northernhunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here is the process so far.

I have the bones in a pot of hot water ( not boiling because it weakens the bone ) to get rid of all the left over flesh that I couldn't get off. I will be leaving them in the pot for 6 hours.
    [​IMG]

I have the tendons ( soon to be sinew ) hanging to dry out in my spare room lol. These will hang here for about 4 days until they are hard and mostly see through. The smaller ones are already looking see through and all of them are pretty hard already.
    [​IMG]

I have the hide in a bucket soaking in water. The guy in the video said let it soak for about 4 or 5 days and then the hair will come right off. Hopefully this works haha. I don't have a pic of this but tomorrow when I change the water I will take a pic for everyone :)

I will post more pics as the process of this continues

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    ZManator likes this.
  10. Sharp_canadian

Sharp_canadian Out There! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ever keep the tails for Muskie bait? Good use of so little, pretty cool man. I've givin most my hides away for people that know how or have the will to finish. Hate to say it as far as I usually go is bleaching a skull..... Ok I lied, letting crows do the work of bleach :p my gandpa used to keep their feet and mount them on a plack and mount theremometers to them nothin special but cool none the less. Thanks for sharing.

11. Northernhunter

Northernhunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    No I don't save the tails I don't know what to make from the tails. How do you make the bait out of the tail?

12. Northernhunter

Northernhunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here is my finished sinew on the left and tendons on the right. All the sinew came from just one tendon and I still have lots of tendons left.
    [​IMG]

ZManator likes this.
  13. Northernhunter

Northernhunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here are the bones I cleaned up that I will be using for knife handles
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    ZManator likes this.
  14. Sharp_canadian

Sharp_canadian Out There! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Smaller tails work better unless your targeting monsters. But before removing the tail cut about 2-3" square above the tail into the back hide then make a slit on the bottom side. It's up to you what you'll choose as something to fix the tail to. Those big single hooks that are about 4" long with the lead attached to them to insert in soft bodied bass baits work good. Make a 'body' out of light wood that has a slot in it that you can set the long straight piece of lead into. With the hook facing downward in the block position the tail over the block wrapping it around the block with the seem also on the bottom. Fold the tab of hide over the front making a small hole for the eyelet to come through, and whip it all tightly with some white bank link or the like. Finished the hook should be facing downward and 1/3 the way down the length of tail. Find yourself a nice weed bed and just slowly bring it across the surface. Boom, Muskie love small helpless mammals for dinner... Feel free to pm if this is confusing I'm not the best at conveying what my brains saying onto paper.

15. foxtroll

foxtroll Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use the ribs to make jewelry[​IMG]
    Mjolnir with branded designs.
    The other necklace is a buffalo tooth.

ZManator likes this.
  16. WRHC TopGun

WRHC TopGun Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You can use the bones in the foot for handles on ferro rods or sharpeners. I got the idea from a member here and have made a bunch of them. There are 4 "handle" bones per foot and 2 pointy toe bones (kinda look like sharks teeth to me) that could be used for jewelry, buttons or who knows what.

Attached Files:

ZManator likes this.
  17. paracordman2

paracordman2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not trying to be rude, just kinda out of curiousity but why did you freeze them and then thaw them and work on them now?

18. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    Right there withya seeker! Don't know how many hides I 've started and not finished! It's tons of work! Still pains me to see the hide tossed but I 've learned my lesson. I keep antlers hoofs and dew hooves, the tail for streamers and that's it.

19. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I feel like all the work in the hides is the actual tanning, wringing, working to get them soft. if you feel the same way, why not just turn them into rawhide? less work! less you can use them for, but still useful-sheathes and covers, parafleche bags, rawhide cords. I heard tell that the original lariats used way back when were rawhide-which has left me wantin' to make one for nostalgias sake! just my two cents.

20. sidmand

sidmand Bacon is food duct tape

Blog Posts:
    I have several sinews on my freezer right now, got to get them out soon and pound em out. Got a bow or two I'm going to back with sinew. Sinew is the only thing besides another piece of wood that you can glue on a bow to make it heavier in draw weight. And sinew plus hide glue plus a bit of time to dry and polymerize equals a very strong tension backing, with some serious stored energy for flinging pointy sticks. Glad to see that stuff getting used by other folks, lots of neat projects from a deer carcass.