My EDC/GHB and GHB/BOB.

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Unistat76, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    So @NJStricker started a thread (https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/rethinking-my-ghb.227828/) about his GHB and I shared my thoughts. I then realized that I've never made a detailed thread of my GHB and EDC bags. I don't want to derail the other thread so I'm making this one instead. I am happy to answer questions about the how, what, and why of any of this gear.

Like many of you, I take a layered approach to my emergency gear. I have an in-pocket EDC, and EDC bag, a GHB that stays in the car, and a bunch of bulkier and heavier items that stay in the car. Kits, kits, kits inside kits, and kits on top.

My in-pocket EDC has been posted before, but I'll include a photo for completeness sake. I only carry all of this stuff about 33% of the time. Most of the time it's just the belt, keys, gun, wallet, Leatherman, extra mag, pocket knife, and flashlight. Most of this junk is self-explanatory, but I'll describe some of the less obvious items. The silver rectangle next to the magazine is an emergency poncho, space blanket, four Aquamira tablets, three feet of aluminum foil, and two 0ne-litre gusseted water bags. The small Altoids tin has a mini boo-boo kit with a couple of Band Aids, triple anti-biotic ointment, and two or three doses of some common OTC meds. The large Altoids tin is my repair kit. At the bottom right is a trauma kit in an ankle pouch.
    [​IMG]

Ok, on to the car bag. It is more of a hybrid GHB/72hr BOB. I figure I can always leave extra stuff in the car if I don't want to carry it home. I also keep a set of clothes in a separate sack. I would leave these behind too, depending on the season. My wife has pretty much the same stuff in her car but in another style bag that fits her body better.
    [​IMG]

In this bag is a base layer, a wool sweater, a skivvy roll (wool socks) a fleece zippy, and my favorite pants; Tru-Spec 24-7.
    [​IMG]

This is the side pocket and front pockets. The two orange match safes in the middle-top have fishing gear in them. The black rectangle is a back-up set of glasses. I have two kids and they have their own bags, but I still keep a couple of Jr. emergency ponchos. In the last column the black rectangle is a spare pistol mag in a pouch.
    [​IMG]

In the main compartment I have shelter, first aid, food, fire, and hygiene items. the silvery-white roll on the top-left is a painters' tarp. The red rectangle in the middle is a trauma kit. The tampons in the lower-right corner are not for gunshot wounds, they are for my wife.
    [​IMG]

The contents of the trauma kit.
    [​IMG]

2. Unistat76

Blog Posts:
    So that's what's in the car. Now for my EDC bag. I want to say right off the bat that I work as a jailer and court officer so some of my choices are about that and would not be something I suggest to everyone.

On the left is a BCUSA MEST poncho and light weight line kit and stakes. On the bottom next to the gloves is an AR mag belt pouch that I have a trauma kit stuffed into. I will either have that on my belt or the other one on my ankle.
    [​IMG]

Inside all the pockets and main compartment. Note that most of this stuff is also my travel items and my camping gear. For example, the orange thingy next to the red bandanna is an inflatable pillow that I take camping. The blue bag and everything to the right of it is my hygiene kit that goes travelling and camping with me.

The stuff in the middle is a repair kit. Directly above the blue bag is a spare pistol mag, a set of lock picks, and a couple of flexible restraints (cuffs.) I do not recommend anyone carrying restraints unless they have a professional reason to do so. I also have traditional metal cuffs for work, but they didn't make it into the pictures as I only wear them at work. Same with the Taser and baton.
    [​IMG]

Finally I have what I call my "sustainment bag." This can be added to my EDC bag to give me quite a bit more time away from home. I usually add it in if I'm going more than a couple of hours (by car) from home but I'm not driving. For example, I and my buddies are going to a gun show in Lansing or Grand Rapids and we're taking one of their vehicles. The bag is just a cheap drawstring style backpack that goes inside the main compartment of my EDC bag. The roll is a USGI surplus wool blanket that straps to the bottom of the pack.
    [​IMG]

Inside the draw string bag I have a skivvy roll, Grabber Space Blanket, contractor bags, painters' tarp, Tops Silent Hero knife (my current main knife, but slated to be replaced with my new Condor Low Drag.) The silver square is a hinged tin that contains my fire kit. Next to that is a 50 degree bag from Wally World and below that is an inflatable pad. Next tot those two items is a solar charger with various batteries and charging cables. You can see that my EDC bag and the "sustainment bag" would be suitable for any of us to spend quite a bit of time out in the woods. Most of that stuff does, in fact, accompany me to the woods when I go.
    [​IMG]

So that's my "emergency" type stuff. This is not really my "camping stuff" even though it has some of the same pieces. I will move stuff from my EDC bag and "sustainment bag" into my camping pack. I hope you all find it interesting and can riff off of it for your own use.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  3. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the description!

Unistat76 likes this.
  4. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    What brand is the "Inflatable pad" pictured. It looks really small!

Unistat76 likes this.
  5. Capin JRo

Capin JRo Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's a really nice set up and well thought out, don't think you missed a thing. I'm just curious but I really need to ask though, why two pistols?

Unistat76 likes this.
  6. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wow lots of stuff. But covers many potential scenarios.
    Thanks for sharing.:dblthumb:

Unistat76 likes this.
  7. Unistat76

Blog Posts:
  8. Unistat76

Blog Posts:
    Well, initially I just wore the trauma kit on my right ankle. That felt weird and unbalanced so I started carrying my S&W J-frame on the left. I only really carry the extra pistol when I carry the ankle trauma kit.

When I started working in a justice system type job I began carrying both a lot more regularly. Still, I only carry that full rig about a third of the time (outside of work, that is.)