My first Benchmade.

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Brain Farts Too Much, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Brain Farts Too Much

Brain Farts Too Much Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Prior to this Griptillian I bought today I never spent $100 on a folder and my Esee Avispa was the best one I owned at $45. Anyways I spent $100 at REI and took the plunge on the Griptillian over the Bugout model. I did like the light weight and S30V steel of the Bugout but The Grip had steel liners, 154cm, and felt stronger in hand. I never thought I would ever pay more than $50 for a folder but so far I am liking this Griptillian. If anyone has experience with Benchmade please share your thoughts and experiences with me.

Attached Files:

Ptpalpha, Mikewood and Madwell like this.
  2. Mikewood

Mikewood Guide

Blog Posts:
    I carried one for many years. It’s a great knife. Good steel, Dependable. Requires minimal maintenance to work well and is solid. Benchmade stands behind their gear so if there is a problem send it in and they will make it right. The pocket clip in mine was quite large and tend to snag on the seatbelt. On more than one instance the seatbelt actually drew the knife out of my pocket and dropped it on the ground. I heard it hit so I didn’t loose it.

Brain Farts Too Much and Madwell like this.
  3. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They are really great knives. I think they have one of the most comfortable handles that I've ever used. I've thought about ditching the clip just to enjoy using it as is. I'm admittedly biased, but that axis lock is the way I like folders to work.

Edited after reading the above post: I got a deep clip so mine rode in the pocket better.

4. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice!! Great knife. (My other Benchmade is the Bugout)

Here is my first Benchmade. It might be 18 years old. I remember the axis lock just came out. It’s discontinued I think. I’m carrying it this month, maybe for the rest of the year. I did have to send it in for free repairs. They replaced all the bushings. It’s a pain to sharpen. (154cm) so I pay attention and don’t let it get to dull.

I opted for partial serrations because I was doing heavy construction engineering at the time. It came in handy building a two mile long tunnel. I don’t even know what model it is anymore. I’m not a gear head. :)

Attached Files:

Brain Farts Too Much likes this.
  5. lefty923

lefty923 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good for you. I've owned and own several brands, but I always come back to Benchmade. Do they cost a little more than others, yes. But when you need their customer service, you'll know where the money went.

6. PVF1

PVF1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You're gonna love it. Even the mini-griptillian is a capable outdoor knife!

[​IMG]

7. Madwell

Madwell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You could say I’m a fan....

3AA7F281-021A-4654-8BA7-B2935E2BCDE8.jpeg
    I love the full sized griptilian but lately I’ve been carrying this mini grip. Benchmade makes great knives.
    A3A29D81-0EEC-4BA8-BE36-7F8773FDF6C7.jpeg

8. PVF1

PVF1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Madwell , that orange Triage with the partially serrated sheepsfoot blade is my urban EDC. :dblthumb: I have only the most basic medical training (CPR/AED/First Aid) but I'm a volunteer member of my agency's evac team and it is an amazing tool to have for a number of situations.

Would also be a great SAR tool.

9. Madwell

Madwell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I completely agree on the utility of that particular tool. I’m lucky enough to make my living as a full time firefighter/EMT. My dad bought me that knife when I graduated fire academy.

Brain Farts Too Much and PVF1 like this.
  10. PVF1

PVF1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome - that's a great little story about your dad getting you the knife for graduation. And thank you for your service as a first responder.

11. Brain Farts Too Much

Blog Posts:
    The thing that impressed me is how despite being almost too easy to open there is zero blade play and yet stays safely closed in the pocket. Even my friend's Spyderco Endura has some blade play brand new and if you tighten the pivot screw it becomes hard to impossible to open 1 handed.

12. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Benchmade, i buy one love it and eventially lose it and find it is a discontinued model.

Madwell and Brain Farts Too Much like this.
  13. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Only Benchmade I've ever owned. I found it at a Cabela's as a close out last knife of the model they had. Perfect condition. Less than $70, pretty much the only reason I bought it was the Brand and Price. Like a lot of folks don't regularly spend a lot of money on folders.

P3191696.JPG

Dualsport225 likes this.
  14. Ascham

Ascham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great knives own a couple but really like the Bugout.

15. Roamer

Roamer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I resisted for a long time too but eventually gave in on the Benchmade craze. Now I can't imagine doing without my Mini-Grip. I put aftermarket G10 scales on it:

[​IMG]

16. operatord

operatord Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    EB595C82-D648-49E9-988F-D43FB4FF0630.jpeg
    Used to EDC a Spyderco but switched to a Mini Grip in sheepsfoot a few weeks ago. I like it.

17. PVF1

PVF1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Really like those scales. Not sure what they cost you, but benchmade also produces the mini grip in an upgraded 20CV version that comes stock with gray/blue g10 scales (although I think yours are cooler).

For the drop point w/ thumb studs it's the mini group 556-1, and for the sheepsfoot with thumb hole, it's the 555-1.

Madwell likes this.
  18. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    23DFBE2C-5F9A-4297-A7C6-E271161EB36E.jpeg I have two 556 grips. I really wish I didn’t miss out on the Doug Ritter version.

Madwell and Brain Farts Too Much like this.
  19. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    A grip has been my at-work EDC for more years than I can remember.
    I'm kind of a knife guy, and the fact that this one's stayed in the pole position for that long is just about the highest praise I can give a knife.

20. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like Benchmade knives, carried a Griptilian for years. Also have a 940-1 that I love, have been carrying the Grizzly Ridge for the last month or so and really like it. I keep an Benchmade folder and a Spyderco Burble PM2 on my dresser and more likely than not a Benchmade gets the pocket time. Can’t go wrong with a Benchmade knife.

21. Dualsport225

Dualsport225 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I resisted for a while also, but I picked one up about 3 years ago and it's been in my pocket 98% of the time since. Mini Barrage, I think it's called. It's really a great little folder. Go figure - it's home now and my old Schrade is on my belt today.

22. southron

southron Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm more of a fan of fixed blades, but benchmade steel always feels strong to me. the Benchmade bushcrafter is pretty much my favorite wet weather fixed blade.

Glad you found something you like.

23. TStilwell

TStilwell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I haven’t gotten to own one yet but I know I want an adamas and a griptillian. Oh to be a knife nut, and former(hopefully again) knife maker, who is to broke to own all the knives lol.

24. Brain Farts Too Much

Blog Posts:
    Man I hear you. I stay broke. I don't even have a vehicle. If not for a few friends I would not even have a roof. But I gotta be honest. I saved up a few bucks each week and got my full size Griptillian from REI for $95 on sale. I regret not ever owning a Benchmade in past and complaining they were too expensive and making excuses. Let's just say I gave my Spyderco Endura away when I got this. I never seen an easier blade to open or engage and disengage lock on any knife ever in my life. Love the Axis lock. And absolute zero blade play. This shit is smooth. I wish I could afford their gold level and higher end models. I got no complaints about my Griptillian. None at all. And I am used to complaining and finding fault. I can't believe I am satisfied 100% with a knife. Benchmade have a new fan here.

25. Brain Farts Too Much

Blog Posts:
    I really want a Grizzly Ridge but I was short on funds for that one.

26. Brain Farts Too Much

Blog Posts:
    I have a few fixed blades like the Bushman and some WW2 bayonets I collect along with an Ontario RAK. But I like my folders also for work and city carry. I would love to own the Benchmade Bushcraft or Adamas full tang I seen a friend carry.

27. Brain Farts Too Much

Blog Posts:
    I liked Spyderco in the 90's and still own a Byrd brand Cara Cara Endura knockoff. And I think their knives look cool and very functional. But I was disappointed with my last Endura my godmother bought me. Had bad side to side blade play brand new and sent it in 2 times with no fix. Tighten the blade screw to fix blade play then you got the problem fixed but another problem with blade being too tight to open easily or one handed. And blade never stayed centered. Sad thing is the Chinese made Byrd mechanically wise is a better knife at $75 cheaper than my Endura I ended up giving away. I hate to sound harsh about Spyderco but I feel that any knife running $100 bucks on up should not have 2 or 3 issues that need fixed new out of box. This has been my 2nd Spydie In the last 3 years that has gave me problems. And as a result I have quit buying Spyderco and went to Cold Steel and now Benchmade.

operatord likes this.
  28. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Benchmade make good solid knives and has exceptional customer service in my experience. Have never regretted carrying one, either folder of fixed. Good choice, I think. There are other production makers that also turn out good products BUT beware the Buck Custom site. Just saying.

29. Brain Farts Too Much

Blog Posts:
    I have not owned a Buck since 1995 when I found out they decided to go with 420hc in place of 440C. Their reasoning was simple. 420 is easier to grind, cheaper, and easier to sharpen than 440C. But yet they claim customers were complaining the 440C was too hard to sharpen. My last Buck was a 110 with 420hc steel that dulled way too easily from hardly any use. I would love to own a Buck again but until they go with something better than 420HC for their production blades. I will pass. Anyways, may I ask why I should be weary of their custom knives? Did you get burned or get a bad blade with a crummy warranty?

bosque bob likes this.
  30. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sorry if I gave that impression about the Buck Custom site, not what I intended. The site allows folks who used Bucks back in the day to customize some old standards with new steels, handle material, engraving etc. I have some 110s in s30v and they are fine, pricey but fine. Easy to maintain and hold an edge as expected. The folks at Buck are easy to deal with and although I have never used the warranty on any of their products it does have a good rep as far as I know. The 110, as an older style lock up, doesn't have the adjustments of a Benchmade folder and have a bit more expected weight but no complaints at all. It is a classic. The other Bucks I have left are older fixed blades in 440hc (Frontiersman and Kalinga) and are good - even if they don't get used. I don't know about steel changes you mentioned.

A classic design with an s30v blade is something that catches my eye and if not careful my wallet. Just me. Also like Benchmades and some Kershaws for production blades.

31. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love my Benchmades. Because of some recent trades/deals, I now own 4 of them: a 940-2, a Bugout, a Mini Griptillian, and a Bushcrafter (fixed blade). They are some of my favorite knives I’ve ever owned.

Solid choice for your go-to folder.

32. operatord

operatord Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was on BForum looking at some of the members custom scales for their Griptillians. They were awesome! Swapping mine out for something in G10 is something I’m considering for the future, but for now I’ll stick with the factory ones.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 2:47 PM
  33. Brain Farts Too Much

Blog Posts:
    I have a Griptillian, Scharade liner lock, and a Byrd Cara Cara folder and honest truth my Benchmade puts those to shame. I can barely flick the handle and easily engage the blade and yet it is safe in my pocket and zero blade play. I wish my Byrd Cara Cara opened that well. Takes 2 hands or a serious wrist flick and a chance on slicing your thumb opening the Byrd 1 handed. The Scharade liner lock which is new as my Benchmade is already developing blade play and liner lock travelling too far to the end of the blade to the liner/back blade mating area.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 8:17 PM
    CoolBreeze135 likes this.
  34. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you are having the same experience I had several years ago. I had mostly carried cheaper imported folders like the $30 Kershaws and Gerbers. There were some decent knives in that category, and I was fairly content with them....until I bought a couple of higher-end folders (mainly my Mini Griptillian). Once you realize what you were missing, it's hard to go back! The good news is that budget knives are getting better and better all the time. However, once you have the bug, your standards never revert to what they used to be. Now, a super smooth action and zero blade play are bare minimums for me.

35. Brain Farts Too Much

Blog Posts:
    I will probably end up giving the Scharade and Byrd folder away or possibly chuck it. I do not mind a cheaper fixed blade but a folder needs good machining tolerances to make a good knife. Last year I went through 2 RAT 1 knives from liner lock failure and 2 Kershaw half tons. I bought an amplitude 2 months ago and the frame lock done went out. My best cheap folder which I lost 2 weeks ago was my Esee Avispa in D2 steel. Solid lock up but that steel had a minor chip from making a tent stake with a piece of qtr inch thick branch.And even that knife did not compare to my Griptillian. Even my old Endura I gave to a friend cannot compete with Benchmade. Truth is I am done with cheap crap folders. Ends up costing more to replace them. The only cheap folder I highly respect and still own 2 of is my Cold Steel Kudu's that ran $6 a piece. I still own them and use them for my fishing tackle box and bug out bag.

CoolBreeze135 likes this.