My Immediate Action First Aid Kit, and Benadryl and Aspirin for first aid

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by BackyardAdventure, Feb 10, 2019.

1. BackyardAdventure

BackyardAdventure Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Hello folks,

I've created for myself a standardized, compact, FAK that i can always have on me for true life threatening emergencies. I wanted it small enough to fit in all my kits, and to be able to fit in a belt pouch so it would always be with me. I also wanted it to be cheap enough to be able to replicate it in multiple places in my gear.

I think others might call this a "blow out" kit, but those seem to be focused on gunshot wounds (or is that just my perception of them?)

I want this kit to address emergencies that would prevent me from getting to a larger kit with more supplies.

of course I have many larger kits, but they are..... larger! and therefore not carried on my person

after much consideration as to minimizing the kit, it consists of the following:

1x Maxipad (as a dressing)
    1x Triangular bandage
    1x Tourniquet (I have several types, I include whatever fits in the pouch being used)
    2x Benadryl liquid caps
    4x Aspirin 325mg
    4x Water purification tablets
    3x band aids
    2x antiseptic wipes
    Duct Tape
    1 quart Ziplock Bag

what I would really like to discuss though is the Benadryl and Aspirin

Benadryl has several uses other than as an antihistamine, such as a topical anesthetic (pain relief), anti-itching, and apparently was prescribed as a sleeping pill at one time!
    anyone who has taken it knows how well it works for a nap!

it has also been used as an injected local anesthetic, clearly this is not for "first aid", but shows the many uses of Benadryl!
    neat stuff, I'm attracted to multi use items, be they a pair of pliers, or a drug!
    I would encourage you to do your own research (i'm not a doctor!) on Benadryl

I had a heart attack at age 41.... and the ER nurse immediately made me chew two baby (81 mg) aspirin (yuck!)
    later, one of the doctors commented that every male over age 30 should carry 2 aspirin in their pocket, in case of heart attack symptoms, they might make the difference!

of course, Aspirin is also a pain reliever, though I can honestly say I don't think I've ever used it as such, I do recall it being in my parent's medicine cabinet.

so i have incorporated these into my first aid kits, has anyone else?

does anyone know of any other multi-use but overlooked first aid items like Benadryl and Aspirin?

if anyone is interested in seeing one of my kits, I have made a video

2. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Friction Fire Addict

Blog Posts:
    i personnally dont like much the desinfectant wipes. i prefer iodine. no other reason than personnal experience. i had often problems afterwards (like a little infection under the dried blood of a scratch) when using the wipes, never yet with iodine. plus it can purify water (it smells, so its last ditch option. know the % of iodine and number of drops you need).

bacpacjac likes this.
  3. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'll be entering my 40s this year with a stent and a heart condition .

Aspirin has saved my life. And as someone allergic to wasps Benadryl is right up there .

I became a huge fan of leukotape this past year as well. Very versatile

4. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    -Ditch the Maxi Pads
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/bleeding-control.139202/

-Zip Ties ARE NOT EFFECTIVE as a Tourniquet
    (Not Even a Little… You will do more harm than any good.)

Don't get me wrong, your minimalistic approach is sound. I wish more people would carry a "little" kit, rather than nothing at all.

A few changes to some gear and you could have a very effective kit.
    SWAT-T instead of Zip Ties
    H&H Primed Gauze instead of a Maxi Pad.

The Triangular Bandage is Good. It does make an effective tourniquet, when improvised as one. Just make sure it is made out of woven cotton and not a synthetic blend. (The synthetic blend ones rip,
    shred, and tear easy.)
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/the-triangular-bandage.138908/

Consider Carrying a plastic ring if you are improvising a TQT out of a triangular bandage. See Link Above

324mg / 325mg is the standard dose of Aspirin for a suspected AMI.
    4 Baby ASA or 1 Standard (Whole) ASA Tab.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Roamer, Unistat76, Paulyseggs and 3 others like this.
  5. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When my sinuses start acting up, it basically makes doing much of anything else impossible because I'll literally have to stop every few minutes to deal with my nose pouring. Benadryl is about the only thing found that can reliablyou clear them up. The good thing is, that it doesn't really make me sleepy. I can take two at work and keep going like nothing happened. On that topic, I've also seen people get 100mg in IM form and keep going.

bacpacjac likes this.
  6. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Slow learner Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ASA and benadryl are good choices. I'd reconsider the tampon; there are good articles and videos on their lack of absorbancy as compared to actual wound dressings.

Dysphoric Joy and bacpacjac like this.
  7. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yup, I also carry low dose Aspirin and Benadryl. FWIW, a CPR mask (+ alcohol wipe + gloves) is also part of my FAKs.

ETA: I've got Reaction in my kit as well, for both adults and kids, because those seasonal allergies seem to sneak up on us. :(

8. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Top end advice here. +1

Dysphoric Joy and Medic17 like this.
  9. BackyardAdventure

BackyardAdventure Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    thanks guys,

is the H&H gauze a roll, or a pad? (google pics look like a roll)
    is it different from other rolled gauze?

I have rolled gauze, and individual pads in my bigger kits, but part of the logic to me for the maxi pad is that it is not going to fall apart, and doesn't require opening a dozen packages!

I've been very lucky, but all the injuries I have had (that I can think of) when bushcrafting/camping were to my non dominant hand (and almost all from saws! not knives!)

In first aid training, all I've ever been given are rolled gauze, and 2x2 or 4x4 squares, individually wrapped... what a PITA to open one handed

thanks again!

Tom Eickenberg likes this.
  10. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Think about adding some Immodium as well. There is nothing worse than, well... you can fill in the rest.

11. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Tom Eickenberg, Paulyseggs and Roamer like this.
  12. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great stuff. Better thinking of it now then after we sprung a leak