My Marlin XT-22TR "flats" or level points are all over the place!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by CaliforniaCanuck, Sep 15, 2018.

1. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love this rifle but it lost some shine today when I checked the "flats" for level.

There are several "level" lines or flats on any rifle and on this one there's the following:
    - flat behind the receiver
    - flat under the magazine block
    - flats at both scope bases
    - flat at the rear sight dovetial
    - flat at the front sight

Every single one of these has its own "level", as-in, none of these share the same level!

I was going to do some modifications to this rifle but now that I cannot reference "level" it puts a damper on things. I'm a fan of iron sights and was hoping to put a peep rear and globe front, but not anymore.

Instead, I decided to enjoy it as a regular scoped 22 rifle.

The Marlin is the only tube fed bolt action 22 that I know of, and it is nice to load it to capacity and plink off all those rounds while others need to stop and reload. 10 rd limit here in Cali if you have a detacheable magazine, no limit if its a rimfire with a fixed magazine.

Anyway, just thought I share my findings in case someone was expecting these rifles to be machined more "precisely"!

2. Coyotesilencer

Coyotesilencer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wanted a tube feed bolt action marlin about 10years ago. At the time Marlin had discontinued the 981t and did not make any tube feed bolt action 22's. I think in 2012 Marlin started the XT-22TSR and I picked up the first one I came across. I was so excited to have a tube feed bolt action.

The sights ended up being canted and when I drifted them in there dovetails to zero they were barely hanging on with most of the sight hanging out the dovetail. I sent it back to Remington with a note explaining. They drifted the sights back to center and returned the rifle. I then tried to zero with the same frustrating results. I sent it back to Remington again and this time they kept the rifle for 6 months before replacing it with a used one!

Marlin had a rough few years after Remington bought them out and the old employees were facing job loss. Then Remington moved machines and production lines. Several Marlins from that time were terrible. Stocks that did not match up to metal, canted barrels, rough crowns and actions. I think they are pretty good now overall but they still are mostly value or budget guns

3. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I agree, they are still budget guns just like those be savage and mossberg.

Since posting this I still feel it's worth working thru it's flaws. The tube magazine sets it apart and it's the only option so good thing it's cheap enough to mess with.

Eventually I'd like it to have target style peep sights, the type that unscrew so I can still use the scope. Sort of like a Savage MKII-FVT, this would be a XT22-TR-FVT.

4. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    Look at the CZ LUX 29” bbl for a globe/peep gun!!

Awesome preformer!!!

CW

CaliforniaCanuck likes this.
  5. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I had the cheaper trainer and it was nice but still traded it. I found it comparable to the savage I had at the time, which I also sold.

I realized I didn’t like a magazine sticking out the bottom!

Birdman likes this.
  6. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sold my XT....the stock was pressing one side of the barrel so bad that trying to free float it left the stock looking noticeably thin on that side and was still pressing...also the rear sight was out of alignment...too bad because overall the ergonomics for off hand shooting were great. BOO REMINGTON

7. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    These are videos. Click on them to play. Shot with that CZ and peeps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CW

8. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    The image states "From 25 yards". You hardly even needs "sights" to shoot that close!

My other rifles with peep sights, I can shoot 8" plates at 150 yards all day long.

My 11 year old son shoots this marlin with the scope out to 275 yards and is hitting 12" plates. My range doesn't have a target past 275 so that's the farthest he's tried. He shoots it more than I do but with the scope I hit the 8" plates at 150 yards easily, as-in almost effortlessly and this is using bulk ammo. So I know the rifle is capable of some accuracy.

Heck, I'm almost convincing myself to order the target sights.

What do I want from this rifle?? I'm not a target shooter as much as I just like iron sight. I don't like the bulk of a scope on the top and I don't like a magazine sticking out of the bottom.

I guess I just want a "stick" that shoots!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018 at 2:38 AM
    AK Adventurer likes this.
  9. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was pretty active with Appleseed some years back and encountered quite a few problems on the line with Marlins, most commonly with their el-cheapo plastic front sights. We had to remove one from the line due to rounds going off before the bolt was closed. Result shown below...

IMG_0837.JPG

VtBlackDog likes this.
  10. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Plastic sights, must be a model 60. My Xr22 has metal front screw on sight, and metal rear leaf. I removed both and am waiting for a front base for globe attachment, and side base for rear target sight attachment.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018 at 12:43 AM
    x39 likes this.