My mini survival kit

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Jonathan Dupree, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Jonathan Dupree

Jonathan Dupree Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I just put together a video of my mini survival / SERE kit. I love this forum. I’ve learned a ton. I’m currently working through the bush class series here.

I’d love feed back on anything I might be missing or isn’t necessary in the kit.

Jonathan

2. IAOutdoors

IAOutdoors Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a good complete kit with some doubles incase you have someone with you.

3. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    A few things that came to mind.
    1. Add 2 frog/fish gigs. They are small, lightweight and inexpensive. Keep 2-4 sheet metal screws with them. They will get you groceries.
    2. Add a piece of netting material. Bug netting works great. It will keep some bugs off you, but most importantly it will enable you to seine a creek or small body of water for minnows, crawdads, salamander and such. You can also use it in a field to catch grasshoppers or make a hoop and throw it over frogs easily after dark.
    3. Even tho you have 2 small blades, I would also have one larger blade, even if was a cheap full tang stainless steel blade made in China. There are some things you need it for such as getting a critter out of a hole or log jam that a small pen knife wont do.
    4. A water purification straw would be awful handy too, along with a poncho and fish hooks.
    5. You may find a bright handkerchief to be valuable as a place to open up a small kit on so you don't loose any of it. It also doubles on signaling, char cloth, 1st aid and all the other uses.

You have a nice kit, I like it.

4. Jonathan Dupree

Jonathan Dupree Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the feedback. I do carry a fixed blade in my truck, a TOPS BOB. I agree having a larger knife is critical. I am a big believer in back ups as well so I carry a 4" fixed blade in my backpack so it's with me all the time. I love all the other ideas you mentioned. Thanks again.

5. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here is a thought. Some of us don't watch videos such as those that have patchy satellite internet. I wat h the vids on occasion but not always. So pictures and a gear list might create more feed back.

Bobsdock, marbleman, LarryB and 9 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Dupree

Jonathan Dupree Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'll take some photos and upload them. Glad to do that.

Kreger, LarryB, ACrawford36 and 6 others like this.
  7. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    First off, I like the kit! I have a few observations, things that I'd do differently, but that doesn't detract from my opinion that you have the basics covered. So don't get mad if I list my gripes first.:p

First off, the SUMA & HPG items are great! But you waste a lot of space in the hard case by putting hard cases in it. The little brass striker wheel is awesome, it's a great bit of kit to have. But there's no reason to leave in a the tube- the SUMA case is already waterproof! If you simply drop it in the case, or maybe put it in a small ziplock just to help organization, then you'd make a good bit of space. In that new space I'd add more Tinder-Quik! They take no space and cost virtually nothing so I' rather have more fires or more chances at one. Along the same lines why put the multi-tool inside the SUMA case? If it gets wet who cares, water won't harm it. I'd just put it in the HPG bag. Same with the 'steel you chose; nothing wrong with it, I have one of that same model. But the steel is pretty small. The main draw of it is the O-ring seal, but you don't need a seal when it's in a watertight case. You could go with a smaller steel and save room or a bigger raw steel for the same amount of space. And in a last bit of harping on space, I'd have more water sanitizing tablets- they take almost no space and are also cheap.

I'm curious- do you know how to pick a lock? I guess it's a SERE thing since the E's are Escape and Evade. But for a civilian it's probably a waste of space.

A few things are almost tropes. I suppose the wire is useful but is it a survival item, really? You sure wouldn't get many snares out of a small roll of wire and snaring is a numbers game. No harm in having wire if there's room since it's handy, I'm just kind of doing a stream-of-consciousness commentary:D I guess if the S truly hits the F a rad card could be useful but in a regular wilderness survival kit I'm not sure it's useful. But it's small.

Let me say this now: it's a FRUGH-NELL lens! FRUGH like FROM. The %$@# 'S'is silent!:mad: Sorry, my pet peeve, it just drives me insane! But they're handy to have in a kit...so long as you pronounce it correctly.:D

But there's a ton of good stuff! I think you chose one of the best survival blankets. That's one of the sturdier brands I've tried, and a lot quieter than the crinkly silver ones. Great mirror, good looking cordage, a knife and sharpener, all that stuff is very handy. There's probably room in the bag for a two of the space blankets and a small disposable poncho while still fitting all the stuff you already have.

All in all, well done! Thanks for doing the video and "putting it out there" for us to critique and 'beat on'. :)

8. Jonathan Dupree

Jonathan Dupree Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Awesome feedback. I appreciate it. All makes sense. As to lock picking, yes both my son and I are pretty proficient. It’s a skill we learned together a couple Christmas ago. As to snares, I honestly am just now learning. I’m reading two books, Bushcraft and Survival Poaching. I’d like to actually order some small snares, that’s next on my list.

Thanks again for the feedback, it doesn’t bother me at all, it’s how I learn.

Kreger, rsnurkle and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  9. Midwest.Bushlore

Blog Posts:
    Nice! I suppose is you can pick a lock why not have lockpicks? Obviously you have be sure they're legal in your AO.

Kreger and rsnurkle like this.
  10. Jonathan Dupree

Jonathan Dupree Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here are some pictures, hope this helps. I also added the photos to my blog GetToPrepping.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain Scout

Blog Posts:
    A LONG time ago I was forum mod for a Survival website before prepper entered the lexicon. Altoid kits became an alchemist's pursuit with ever smaller items and ever greater expectations. Their Achilles heel is the 'fugetaboutit' attitude once assembled without even becoming familiar with the contents. Aluminum foil for cooking containers split on the folds, matches degrade, tea candles melt, fishhooks rust and button compasses develop huge bubbles.
    You WILL have additional items on you right? They are FIRMLY secured to your person via lanyard, pocket, sewn into clothing RIGHT? You will not find yourself naked in a torrential downpour with a PSK laughing at the Gods to 'bring it on.' They will.
    An item I have come to reverse on is the holy trinity of threes and the sarcastic 'everybody's first question is what will we eat?' by the Alpha survival males with polished personnas. We then read about crickets and IDing safe mushrooms from poisonous, brewing pine needle tea and snaring bunnies and squirrels or catching jaws with a hook and handline. How many people have sampled that diet and know how those millions of gut flora along for the adventure will react? Lots of these food items are wonderful, no sarcasm intended but not everyone is named Gibbons. I have taken to carrying FOOD, and not a bullion cube and those peppermint candies I dumped from the Altoids. A sealed 3 bar DATEX or MAINSTAY emergency ration, some dehydrated soups, instant oatmeals, German Choc-o-cola tin etc can be easily carried and provide the needed brainpower to figure out our next move.

12. Midwest.Bushlore

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, @thereandbackagain I too have come around to the idea of having some rations along. We know that you can survive quite a while without it but let's be honest- most of us get pretty miserable if we do a whole day without food! We're simply accustomed to eating at least a couple of times per day. Personally I love Datrex rations! If they weren't so carb-loaded I would eat them every day as a snack! I usually take some jerky/meat sticks with me as well.

Bobsdock, Fat Old Man and rsnurkle like this.
  13. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    A product of thought, and that's very important.

Farmer is nice choice of versatile folding back up knife.

How about a "gill net"? They work so well they are illegal for almost all of us, but if life is on the line .. . Pretty big one ball up to tennis ball size and weighs very little.

Could you find a thin aluminum container to line the large compartment of your bag? As a liner, it takes up little space and gives more capacity to process wild water.

In humid areas, ferrocerium rods turn to dust from atmospheric moisture. I like the tight cover.

Hooray! Duct tape for hot spots on heels, to hold fine tinder in wind, burns, patch shelter or clothes, ... Can you wrap it around something else?

Dental floss is heck for strong. A small spool will lash together light framing for shelter. With a needle, it will sew up your clothes - or you.

Shove cotton balls into every nook and cranny. If there is a way to have some smeared with white petroleum jelly, they can treat cuts, abrasions, and chapped places - as well as the fire thing. Really light and cheeeeep. If they get wet, they can be dried for later use.

There are bags for water built so they stand up - within reason - when full. Dried berries come in such critters, although those are too bulky themselves and have a food smell.

Striker for SA matches can be a diamond knife sharpener.

Coffee filters. Water. Fire. Dressing for wounds.

Wrap the bag with paracord?

RAD card. Good fire starter.:dblthumb:

It's "Day Twa" Michigan. "Detroit" Drives me nuts. :p And let's not even think about "Grashit" Ave. :eek:

chekmate and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  14. Midwest.Bushlore

Blog Posts:
    @TAHAWK I've been meaning to get a gill net! I know they're illegal to use for normal fishing but legal for survival use- besides, if I was lost for a week and a GF&P officer stumbled upon me fishing I'd gladly take the ticket in exchange for a ride out.:D Cotton balls packed into every gap is a good idea as well. It will prevent rattling and also makes great tinder. Coffee filters are handy and don't take much room.

15. Jonathan Dupree

Jonathan Dupree Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Oh yes, I agree. Actually, I am probably over prepared even though I don't believe one can be. I will have to make a post oif what I wear on my body daily, what I carry in my backpack daily, in addition to this small backup kit so to speak.

I always carry on my body a leatherman multitool in a case that also holds the bit kit and extender tool and a small flashlight. I also carry a fixed blade knife versus a folder, unless in a work situation where I need to throw a folder in my pocket and leave my fixed blade in my truck. I also always carry a 9 mm and spare magazine on my body.

I keep a small medical kit and a small trauma (active shooter) kit in my backpack. Finally, I keep a small bag in my truck that has a canteen and canteen cup, water filter, and some protein bars.

I'll be the first to admit, I am still learning. I work everyday on increasing my skill sets in preparedness, survival, self-defense, and bushcraft. Thanks for the feedback.

16. Jonathan Dupree

Jonathan Dupree Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I found this gill net in a book on making a survival kit, it looks good but I haven't ordered it yet . . . Survival Gill Net I love coffee! I keep an Aero Press and the small filters and some coffee with me all the time, not so much for survival, but I fish every day, love making coffee on the back of my truck and fishing!

17. Jonathan Dupree

Jonathan Dupree Tracker

Blog Posts:
    These are all awesome ideas! Thanks for sharing.

18. Jonathan Dupree

Jonathan Dupree Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Also, I 've been looking for the perfect fixed blade to carry daily without freaking people out. I have tried multiple knives and I think I might have found the right one that is good all around edc, survival, what you'd use a knife for knife - I might change my mind later hahahaha, but I just picked up a lagom bushcraft knife. [​IMG]

Mick Badgero and freebirdfb like this.
  19. thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would add a item to your Psychological Survival Kit. Society worldwide is descending into tribalism and walls as multiple crisis face us. The Romans built Hadrian's wall and Saxons came in from the sea. China built an even bigger wall and the Mongols still took over. Barbed wire is going up all over Europe as children drown in the sea. Sometimes the biggest kit is saying a simple hello to people and acknowledging their humanity.
    I walk weekly to the store. I pass a greenway by the freeway where Campesinos look for work. I always said Buenos Dias in my limited Spanglish. I was walking home a few summers ago, unknowingly suffering from high blood pressure and a kidney stone that had me passing blood while trying to see a V.A. doctor. I was packing a ridiculous load in my backpack and two hand carried sacks, no water aside from what I gulped at the fountain and hadn't had breakfast, it being first of the month and an empty pantry. I keeled over. This woman walking her poodle said 'how disgusting' and went around me like a piece of trash. Cars wizzed by with loud music and modified exaust systems proclaiming sperm counts. I felt myself being carried under a tree, shirt opened and lukewarm water from a bottle put to my mouth that tasted like champagne. It was several campesinos who ran against traffic to help me. They picked up my groceries and helped me home the final three blocks. All because of a simple Buenos Dias.
    There are some scary people in the world, the most dangerous wear ties. You never know who someone is or what they are going through. Most world religions have a Deity or emmisary disguised as a stranger to test their people. Not everyone in faded cammies with a kabar on their hip is a wack job. No few of them have Purple Hearts somewhere, children they are trying to feed or were laid off so that man in the tie could get closer to billionaire status and immortality among the stars..

20. Jonathan Dupree

Jonathan Dupree Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just curious, do you wear a tie or a kbar? just kidding your post makes sense.

21. thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain Scout

Blog Posts:
    Both, except my ties ( Macclesfield, Shantung and Italian Faille silk) reflect attempted gentility, manners and an ideal of manhood and not the latest 'Power' color and the Kabar is largely retired except when asked to leave a biker bar for being to rowdy.

Jonathan Dupree likes this.
  22. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    For a great edc knife, also consider RW Fred. My edc is the middle one with just under 2 3/4" blade. The top one has a 4 1/16" blade. I occasionally neck carry the bottom one.
    [​IMG]

Jonathan Dupree likes this.
  23. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You use what works for you. Not the smallest survival kit I have ever seen (The World's Smallest Survival Kit, from the October 1982 Survival Guide magazine takes that honor), not the largest either, although it is close for an EDC. I like Alan Kay's Bugout Bag video for car carry. Not sure how much of this you could get through TSA at an airport. They made me take my 2.25" Swiss army knife with a 1.5" blade back to the car, but when I got on the plane, a woman pulled out knitting needles and a full-sized pair of scissors, so you never know.

Lock picks? What was it you said you did for a living?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  24. Jonathan Dupree

Jonathan Dupree Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I own a real estate company. My son and I picked up lock picking together as a hobby. I actually have a kit for when I do fly. You can tweet TSA and they will tell you if you can carry an item or not. You can't bring a lighter, but you can bring safety matches. ;) Thanks for the feedback.

Mick Badgero likes this.