my new favorite base layer

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by mtwarden, Oct 11, 2019.

1. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

I've been using the very light micro grid tops (crew necks) from both Patagonia (Capilene Lightweight) and Outdoor Research (Echo) for a few years now and they flat work. A couple of years ago Sitka (Core Lightweight) came out with what appears the exact same fabric, only with a hood. I loved the hood, but is only available in camo.

About a year ago, Outdoor Research came out with a hood version that's really nice.

They breathe extremely well AND dry quickly- the two biggest factors imo when looking at base layers. The shirts are light enough to wear as a sun shirt in hot conditions (you want a lighter color one for this). Light as in 4.3 oz for the hooded version!

They are wearing very nicely as well, which given their light weight is a huge plus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seeker, Blackhillz, actichy and 33 others like this.
  2. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter

Nice. I’ll have to check this out. Should pair nicely with a windshell for breathable protection during exertion.

3. mtwarden

most definitely! :) the other thing it pairs nicely with is some of the newer active insulation pieces- was only on the mid 20's today and wore the above base layer with just a really light active jacket (Arcteryx Atom SL)- even though I was exerting myself pretty hard (close to 8" of snow and several climbs); also nice w/ a fleece jacket if not windy and have good luck wearing it with a few different hardshells in the rain

4. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

I looked at Sitka but have switched to merino wool. Merino wool is excellent both when stationary and when on the move. My favorite is a 100% merino wool Aclima Warmwool Hoodie. The nifty thing about it is that you can choose to either wear it with the built in 'neck gaiter' or without. Same goes for the hoodie part of course. Excellent for when underway or in the hammock during winter with the hoodie up. There is a 'Lightwool' version as well for when the Warmwool version is too warm.

5. justinspicher

justinspicher Scout

First Lite has a Chama hoody that im a huge fan of. It’s merino wool as well. This year it was updated and replaced by another version.

mine is full of holes and needs to be replaced.

6. JAY

JAY Guide

I've been looking at the merino smartwool. But not sure what weight to go for. I'm up in age and not very active. Also get cold easy. The temps here in E. Tennessee get down to 17 degrees once in a while, but seldom colder. I'm thinking mid weight for initial base layer, but not sure.

7. vdeal

vdeal Guide

@mtwarden, How about a link to that OR hoodie, I can't seem to find it on their site. Thanks.

8. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

Merino is heartedly recommended. The Aclima mentioned in a previous post is very warm and excellent, if you feel the cold easily.
    Aclima has a merino hoodie in Warmwool (200g) and a hoodie in Hotwool (230g). I have the Warmwool one and its very warm.
    Which one to choose, depends on how much you move around and how much you feel the cold.
    The one I have is almost too warm for indoors, so only wear it when in the woods etc. but then I dont feel the cold easily.
    Aclima of course also have non-hoodie crew necks and other sweaters etc sans hood.

9. JAY

JAY Guide

googled Aclima, and only found a foreign language or a sight that gave price in non US currency. Does anyone have a US site I can go to

10. justinspicher

justinspicher Scout

There’s a local place here that has some really nice wool garments, but I’m not paying $80 for a t-shirt.

11. mtwarden

12. mtwarden

I have a few merino pieces that I'll wear on longer trips due to the better odor control, all of them are very thin and a mix of synthetic/merino- this helps w/ dry time and makes the garment more durable

merino does take longer to dry out, even the very thinnest garments- thicker take a long time to dry

13. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter

FYI they’re available on amazon in various colors and sizes.

14. mtwarden

on these higher end base layers (synthetic or merino), I always wait for a sale- usually don't have to wait too long before someone has them for 20-30% off sometimes more; also use a third party outfit like activejunky to go through and they will often add an additional 5-10% in cash back :)

15. justinspicher

justinspicher Scout

For those of you who are vets or currently serving as mil, LEO or a first responder, First Lite gives a pretty generous discount.

16. mtwarden

also you can sign up for govx.com and get discounts on a wide array of different products- some are pretty steeply discounted, others not as much

central joe, Pharmer and Bobsdock like this.
  17. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

central joe likes this.
  18. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

I’m in the same age range (closing in on 69).
    I went for the smartwool lite for down to 30f with some pretty light layers on top and pretty light activity.
    I think the mediums and appropriate layers on top would be my choice down to the mid teens.
    CB1EDF76-EEB8-4596-99AC-348D09FE66A8.jpeg
    Smartwool lite base.
    Quick dry shirt.
    Puffy coat with hood
    Rain/wind jacket
    Wool socks
    Water/wind resistant pants

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  19. Ragman

Ragman Supporter Supporter

I'm a fan of the Patagonia R1 hoody but it's a bit much for a base layer most of the time.
    I'll take a look at these, thanks.

20. justinspicher

justinspicher Scout

I use First Lite almost exclusively, but I have a few Patagonia 1/4 zip lightweight long sleeve shirts that get thrown into the mix as well. I'm a huge fan of the Patagonia puffy line. I just scored a nice vest, I already have a nice jacket, unfortunately though, its too big on me.

mtwarden, central joe and Winterhorse like this.
  21. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Tracker

Would you wear this in cold weather? I have old R1s and a Thermal weight Capilene, but haven't tried these light micro grids.

mtwarden likes this.
  22. mtwarden

in cold weather I use the thermal weight hoody almost exclusively as my base layer; when I purchased it I was thinking mid-layer, but it makes a much better base layer in cold weather, especially active cold weather stuff